Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait by DarkWizardKiller
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait

DarkWizardKiller

Harry Potter and The Gilded Portrait - Part Two

A/N - I apologize for taking so long to update. I've had Everest-sized personal issues to deal with over the past few months. I'll try to update as quick as I can and thanks once- again for reading.

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Chapter Nineteen - Preparations and Introductions

Headmistress McGonagall looked around at her staff pleased most of her original Professors had decided to return…with a few obvious exceptions.

A single long table had been set up in the Great Hall to provide space necessary for this impromptu staff meeting before the term began. She felt it necessary not only to introduce the new additions but also bring everyone up to scratch on repairs, preparations and final details.

Minerva found herself rather preoccupied at the prospects of being Headmistress for the coming year. In her heart she would gladly trade her position to have all those who gave their lives so this meeting could take place back among the living.

The revelation of Sybill's new prophecy did little to assuage the feeling of gloom and urgency that seemed to permeate the Headmistresses office but she did her best not to let it trickle down to her staff. She constantly worried Hagrid would spill the beans but he seemed to understand the importance of keeping it secret for now.

The addition of her hand picked Transfiguration Professor seemed to set well with all who had introduced themselves to Zalina Sheryl Star. She seemed genuinely pleasant. It wasn't difficult to understand why she seemed so popular with the male members of the staff but Ms. Star remained cordial and professional.

The position of Defense Against the Dark Arts had been filled by a middle-aged gentleman named Hilliard Dervish. He was a high spirited chap who seemed to have nervous energy oozing from every pore.

He had worked inside the Aurors Department for over 11 years as an administrator and his skills were quite extensive. The reason he never saw fieldwork was due to his high-strung nature and had developed a severe pigeon toed condition about a year after he had graduated from training.

After Professor Sinistra had met Professor Dervish she had quietly compared him to a Yorkshire terrier that had been fed too many sweets but he was pleasant and jovial and seemed to be accepted by the rest of the staff readily enough.

Professor Dervish put others in mind of Gilderoy Lockhart but with the actual skills to teach D. A. D. A. although they looked nothing alike. Professor Dervish was reed thin, rather short, bulging ice blue eyes and a wild shock of auburn hair that looked like someone had attached several rusty wire brushes to the top of his head.

The Muggle studies Professor Charity Burbage was replaced with a Muggle-born witch named Agnes Llewellyn. She had been living primarily in the Muggle world after she graduated from Hogwarts some 15 years before. It had been as a result of a rather nasty splinching incident during a side-along apparition with a friend that caused her to temporarily abdicate from the Wizard world. She didn't like to talk about it.

And finally, after all the falderal that took place at Hogwarts during the destruction of Voldemort, Professor Binns formally announced his retirement. Atriums Croaker, a retired Unspeakable from the Department of Mysteries agreed to take over the History of Magic position.

He was a rather quiet and reserved bloke but seemed pleasant enough. He had a bald head, weak chin and a very long neck. He bore a very strange resemblance to a light bulb.

After the formal introductions were concluded McGonagall took a deep breath and began the information portion of the meeting.

"Firstly, I am proud to announce that our Charms Professor, Filius Flitwick has been selected and has graciously agreed to accept the position as the new Assistant Headmaster of Hogwarts."

He received unanimous applause and congratulations all around.

"Thank you, Minerva," Professor Flitwick said beaming, "and thank you all very much. I will try to bring as much honor and respect to the position as you did Headmistress."

"I have no doubt you will Filius." McGonagall said smiling.

"Next I would like to announce the new Head of Gryffindor house will be none other than Rubeus Hagrid."

The reception to this news was rather mixed but all applauded appropriately.

Hagrid nervously lurched to his feet sending the bench he was sitting on sliding back several feet with a loud screech across the flagstone floor. Many cringed at the sound.

"Than' ye' Headmistress for this opportunity," he nodded at McGonagall, "I'll do my bes' ter' keep all our fine Gryffindor's in line."

"Yes," McGonagall said clearing her throat gently, "I'm sure you'll do a fine job Rubeus."

When Hagrid awkwardly regained his seat she turned her attention back to the table.

"And lastly, in regard to our new appointments I am sorry to announce that Rolanda Hooch will not return this year."

There were many groans and awe's among the table.

"She has accepted a position with International Quidditch Officiating Committee to referee professional Quidditch matches. We have accepted Mr. Oliver Wood to take her place but he will not be available to start until a few days before the term begins. It seems he's being required to complete his contractual obligations with the Puddlemere United before he can accept the position."

McGonagall took a breath and continued.

"As you all know the reparations are now complete. Most everything has been put back in place but there still may be some minor adjustments left to be made in each department or classroom. Please inform me as soon as possible if you require any additional materials or items not present in your areas."

"Now, I wish to take this time to discuss a few items that I believe will have an impact on the coming school term."

"As most of you are aware, many of our 7th year students were unable to complete their N.E.W.T. level courses due to the…interruption of our curriculum last season. I am pleased to report most all those students will be returning this year to finish their studies…however, this presents an unusual and unique situation Hogwarts has not been subjected to in its long and illustrious history."

"Most all these returning 7th year students will be eighteen years of age. I don't think I need elaborate on the possible problems that can arise from this situation but at the Sorting Ceremony I shall take great care in reminding our older students they will be expected to conduct themselves as young ladies and gentlemen for the duration of the term but as we are all aware and I am certain you realize, boy and girls will be boys and girls."

"I am counting on you to be diligent in assisting me to maintain an acceptable level of decency within our institution. Please do not hesitate to report any…untoward behavior to either myself or Professor Flitwick at once."

"As a result of the notoriety of some of our returning students, the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement…"

McGonagall indicated with a hand toward Kingsley Shacklebolt who was sitting quite stealthily in the far corner of the Hall. All heads turned in his direction and he gave a curt nod in response.

"…has agreed to provide appropriate security for the school term. We feel it in our best interest to protect these individuals from outside interference and over-zealous…well wishers. Mr. Shacklebolt, would you like to inform the staff of the details of your security?"

"Certainly Headmistress," Kingsley rose and made his way to stand at the far end of the conference table. He looked around at them all smiling pleasantly, "As a result of what took place in the final confrontation with the Dark Lord a few of the students have become…rather well known for their rolls in defeating the evil that plagued our world. It is for this reason, as well as ensuring no retaliation will take place, the Aurors will be a constant, but unobtrusive presence in and around the institution for the duration of the coming term. As many of you may already know the Department of Magical Law Enforcement has opened several new satellite offices throughout the wizard world. One such office now exists in Hogsmeade and will be staffed with some of our top Aurors."

Pomona Sprout raised her hand a bit tentatively but Kingsley smiled at the Herbology professor warmly.

"Yes Madam Sprout?"

"I was wondering," she asked pleasantly, "Will the Aurors assigned be under the authority of Hogwarts or the Ministry?"

"Those stationed here at Hogwarts will answer directly to me however if any of you have problems with any of my staff please feel free to contact me directly at once or let the Headmistress know. They have all been briefed to be as inconspicuous as possible but do not hesitate to call on them if you suspect trouble. That's precisely what they will be here for."

Professor Sprout nodded.

It was Zalina who raised her hand next as she felt most everyone's attention shift to her. Kingsley nodded to her with the same pleasant smile.

"Are we to assume the…Golden Trio will be returning to complete their final term, Mr. Shacklebolt?"

Kingsley glanced at McGonagall. He wasn't sure just exactly what she had told them. The Headmistress picked up on the significance of his gaze immediately and returned a rather stern look of her own. She wanted Harry to complete his education but also realized it would be difficult if not nearly impossible for him to return to Hogwarts without being bombarded by…well…almost everyone. She still felt a bit miffed at Kingsley for suggesting he go into Auror training. She cut in.

"To be perfectly honest we are not precisely certain which, if any, of the Trio will return this year. I have personally extended the invitation to Harry Potter and Hermione Granger but have not received confirmation they will capitulate at this juncture. I certainly hope they will."

Kingsley held up a hand briefly.

"I can assure you Ronald Weasley will be attending his final term." He tried desperately to keep his face completely neutral. "I'm sure the Minister will want to speak with you regarding his son before term starts Headmistress."

McGonagall gave the Head Auror a quizzical look but simply let it go for now. She presumed she would find out what his cryptic statement meant in due time.

Zalina Star felt a knot tighten in her stomach for a moment. Her entire plan rested on the fact she was 99 per-cent sure Harry Potter would be returning to Hogwarts to complete his final year. It was preposterous to think otherwise?

…But if he chooses not to return where would he go - what would he do? After all it was the whole reason I took this ridiculous position. It certainly wasn't because I want to teach these annoying, empty-headed sots the finer points of Transfiguration! Baah!

She could feel her annoyance spike but she forced herself to keep it from reaching her face. She was lost in her own musings for a moment shutting out everything else going on around her.

She suddenly realized the meeting had been adjourned and the new D.A.D.A. professor was speaking to her.

"…think it's marvelous we get an opportunity to shape the minds of our youngsters!" Professor Dervish gushed with a beaming smile at her.

"Oh, yes," she stammered trying to appear as if she had been listening, "I personally can't wait for the term to begin. If you'll excuse me Professor I have much work to do before I will be prepared for the start of coming school year."

"Of course my dear Professor Star," Professor Dervish bowed to her and gestured with an exaggerated sweep of his arm, "If I can be of any assistance please don't hesitate to call on me at once!"

"Eeh…thank you Professor," she said as innocently as she could muster in her agitated state of mind, "That's very kind of you." She turned to Headmistress McGonagall, "Headmistress if there isn't anything further I would like to return to the Transfiguration department if I may?"

"Of course Professor Star," McGonagall replied.

Zalina wasted no time in vacating the Great Hall. She had much to contemplate.

The rest of the staff stood conversing quietly among themselves. Many congratulated Professor Flitwick and Hagrid on their new appointments. Hagrid in particular was practically beaming with pride he was given such an important position but expressed his nervousness about being the Head of Gryffindor to anyone that would listen.

A few moments later they all heard one of the huge doors to the Great Hall open and watched as Mr. Filch made his way swiftly but stiffly toward them with Mrs. Norris close at his heels. He limped up to the Headmistress and bowed slightly, wheezing like a tea kettle about to boil.

"Begin yer' pardon Headmistress but the Minister of Magic as' me ter' announce `es presence and requested an interview with ya' in yer' office a' yer' earliest convenience. Said it was important."

"Very well," McGonagall replied immediately, "I believe I am free to meet the Minister right away."

Filch stood there unmoving as if he was unsure what to do next. McGonagall stared incredulously at the old caretaker for a moment.

"That means you can tell him he may meet me in my office," she paused. Filch still stood there with a blank look on his gnarled features, "Now, Mr. Filch!" She pressed.

Filch jumped slightly as if someone had touched a flame to the bottom of his trousers.

"Righ'" He finally turned and hobbled back toward the entrance.

McGonagall chuckled and shook her head. Kingsley wasn't quite so subtle. His wide shoulders were shaking with silent laughter.

"I swear," the head Auror said finally, "That old codger get stranger every year."

"Yes…well," McGonagall gave him a pointed glance with a rather crooked smirk, "You'd be a bit odd too if you had to put up with the goings-on in this place for as long as he has Mr. Shacklebolt."

Kingsley nodded, "You're probably right on that score Minerva."

Later, the Headmistress found herself sitting behind her desk waiting patiently for the Minister to arrive. When she heard the rotating staircase outside her office she moved to the office door and ushered a rather flustered-looking Arthur Weasley into the office.

Once informal greeting with the portraits of the past Heads as well as a beaming Albus Dumbledore were concluded McGonagall conjured a pot of tea and pressed a cup into Arthur's hand.

He sat in one of the chairs in front of the Headmistresses desk and suddenly looked like a scolded school boy. She would have laughed at this picture had it not been for the urgency in Arthur's request for an interview.

McGonagall sat back down at her desk and quietly waited. Even though she and Arthur had known one-another for decades, he was Minister for Magic now and his office and title demanded a certain level of respect, however she had always respected Arthur without the title.

The Headmistress noticed his hands were shaking slightly as he set his untouched teacup and saucer on the edge of her desk.

He began to speak…

"I may as well be candid with you Minerva. There is no reason to beat about the bush, as the Muggles say." Arthur managed a weak smile.

McGonagall smiled warmly back. This seemed to help with his nerves somewhat. He took a deep, calming breath.

"The Ministry Finance Department and I have repeatedly gone over the books of the past thee administrations and have determined that by the end of this year the Ministry will be utterly bankrupt."

McGonagall's face turned sheet white as she sat frozen in place.

"Oh Arthur," she whispered, "what a horrible prospect!"

"Yes," Arthur replied, "I'm sure you can ascertain the ramifications of this predicament. If the Ministry can not raise the funds to balance its budget by the end of November then I'm afraid Hogwarts will become one of the many casualties of the shortfall."

"It seems during the occupation of the Ministry by the Death Eaters during the war, many important documents were liberated from the Minister's office. That includes over five hundred million galleons in Wizard bonds."

"The Ministry uses the bonds to procure funds from our general accounts to pay bills, write purchase orders, pay salaries and balance the general budget ledger. While those bonds are unaccounted for, the Ministry assets are frozen by law to protect the assets against procurement from outside sources."

McGonagall sat thoughtful for a moment.

"Can't the Ministry borrow against those frozen assets to at least maintain its operational status? I thought in times of emergency the Wizengamot allowed for just such a measure?"

"You're correct of course Minerva and I suppose we could borrow. The main problem there is we will only receive approximately eight to ten sickles on the galleon due to the interest rate applied to such a loan. I have already met with Geldron the Wise who is now in charge of Gringotts and he is `by the book' steadfast in his application of the by laws, I'm afraid."

"Seems there was a major shake-up in management after Harry's little stunt to gain access to the Black family vault. The goblins are quite distrustful of the wizard community at present. I was fortunate enough to even get an interview. If it wasn't for Bill, I don't think I would have been granted the time of day."

McGonagall felt as ill as she began to look. She couldn't believe what she was hearing but she wasn't all that surprised. Similar things happened the last time Voldemort tried to usurp power over the wizard world although not to quite such an extent.

It angered her to no end he still seemed to be affecting their lives even though he was destroyed. She stood up and paced the office, wringing her hands in worry.

"Surly there is something we can do Arthur, some way out of this dilemma?"

"Oh I assure you Minerva," Arthur stated, "it gets worse."

The aged Headmistress stopped pacing and looked pointedly at the Minister.

"What do you mean?"

"It seems the Muggle Prime Minister is…how can I put this kindly…requesting Ministry financial assistance in the repairs of not only the bridge that was destroyed but also many other structures damaged or destroyed during the past year. Not only that, the Prime Minister assured me any civil liability arising from the private sector having to do with those mysterious disappearances of Muggles would be deferred to us as well."

"What an absolute mess you've inherited Arthur," McGonagall looked deflated. She sat heavily back down in her chair.

"While I can't disagree with your most colorful assessment of my present administration, Minerva, it will not due for us to loose precious sleep over all this. The picture is not as bleak as it seems. There may be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel."

"We have managed to seize many of the accounts of the known Death Eaters involved as law allows. We will use those funds to cover as much of the damage to the Muggle world as is possible but I'm afraid it will only scratch the surface. We will still find ourselves on the negative side of the ledger."

"Do you have any clues to the whereabouts of the missing Bonds?" McGonagall asked, "I realize it is most likely a ridiculous question but I'm afraid I have no other ideas. While I cannot speak for my staff, I can tell you with the utmost certainty I will do what ever I can to assist you."

"Thank you Minerva and no, we have no leads as to the location of our missing funds, however, after much research we believe Voldemort possessed a rather vast fortune in addition to any assets he may have…acquired along the way. He was, after all a direct descendent of Salazar Slytherin."

"It is safe to assume the Hogwarts Co-Founder was well subsidized. However, Ministry records are a bit confusing when we searched through the history of disbursements of funds from the Slytherin trust."

"It seems there was a Marvolo Gaunt listed as an heir and was entitled to an enormous disbursement but those funds were never claimed."

"There was another name on the ledger as well as Tom Riddle. It was the name Ella Dora Black. We thought that quite odd. A vast portion was claimed by her over one hundred years ago but she is now listed as deceased, of course."

"Not only that, Voldemort was also heir to the Riddle fortune as well."

"We have been able to unearth the Muggle financial records of his late father's assets and holdings and have discovered Tom Riddle Sr. and his Grandparents were quite financially well off. It seems upon his family's death, Voldemort quickly liquidated many of their investments and converted the cash into galleons."

"We have been able to trace the funds to an account we believe is the correct one in a financial institution in Albania. However, the name on the account isn't Tom Riddle but again, Ella Dora Black. We find this most odd because the name on the account was said to have been changed only 18 years ago."

"That would have been about the time Voldemort went into hiding after he killed James and Lily and tried to kill Harry. What's even stranger still is…her name was placed on the account more than seventy years after her death."

"We cannot understand why her name was used as sole holder of the account. Since she is listed as deceased, we are having a most difficult time convincing the institution to release the funds since it can no longer be traced, at least in recent records, directly to Tom Riddle or Voldemort."

"If that wasn't enough, it seems there was an enormous insurance settlement paid to Tom Riddle Jr. after his father and Grandparent's…unusual demise. Since the officials listed their deaths to be of natural causes, the insurance company was obligated to settle the claim."

"While we have no hard figures at present, we are estimating the settlements were in the millions of pounds, Muggle. We're almost certain Voldemort converted those funds into galleons as well."

"My stars," McGonagall placed her hands over her heart.

"Well put Headmistress," Arthur said, "So you see, we are sitting on what could potentially be a rather substantial windfall if we can only convince the Albanians we have a legal right to the account. It would certainly solve many of our financial woes but at present, we cannot assume those funds are forthcoming so I am forced to prepare for the worst."

"And the worst is reducing expenditures, reducing staff and unfortunately eliminating certain programs from our budget. I only just managed to get approval from the Wizengamot to allow the Law Enforcement department to expand to a few select satellite locations before we had all the hard figures in place. I realize that was more than likely putting the proverbial cart before the horse so to speak but I felt it necessary to bring about some sense of security to Wizard London."

McGonagall sat up a bit straighter.

"I realize you are trying your best Arthur," she said with as much compassion as she could, "Surely no one blames you for the predicaments we find ourselves in at present. As I said, I will do what I can to assist."

The Minister looked a bit sheepish for a moment then took a sip of his tea. Wincing at the now-cold brew, he pulled his wand and waved it over the cup until steam curled from its surface once more. He then turned to face the Headmistress.

"There is a…favor I wish to ask of you Minerva if I may? Something of a personal nature which has been made into an official one at the behest - or should I say insistence - of Molly. I find myself in a difficult position in regards to Ronald."

McGonagall caught herself pursing her lips at the mention of the lad's name. His extra-curricular activities had not escaped the attention of the staff. Some of her professors had made comments. She herself had seen some of the more vitriolic statements in the Daily Prophet and was none too pleased but she tried to keep her thoughts on such things to herself.

"I realize I'm most likely being out of line when I say this Minister but I think Ronald needs good swift kick in the…"

"Yes!" Arthur interrupted, "I cannot disagree however I think Percy and I have a suitable alternative. I have, albeit reluctantly agreed to issue an official Decree that will require Ronald to return to Hogwarts to finish out his seventh year. He must pass his N.E.W.T.s with acceptable marks and will be confined to this institution until the term is completed."

"I think it a brilliant idea Arthur," McGonagall nodded in approval.

"I simply ask you keep me apprised of his progress and inform either myself or Percy if there are any…problems along the way."

"Consider it done, of course," McGonagall said with a warm smile, "I am certain we can convince Ronald of the importance in completing his education."

"Excellent Minerva," Arthur slapped his thighs as he stood to take his leave, "Thank you for your patience and assistance. I believe Ronald has…seen the error of his ways. He's not a bad young man you understand."

"Of course he isn't," McGonagall said incredulously, "Even the best of us can go astray now and again…isn't that right Albus?"

McGonagall turned to face Dumbledore's portrait as he sat feigning sleep in his chair. The only sign he had heard the conversation was a slight curling at the corner of his wizened old mouth.

-->