Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait by DarkWizardKiller
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait

DarkWizardKiller

Harry Potter and The Gilded Portrait - Part Two

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Chapter 14 - The Ministry for Magic

Arthur Weasley stood looking out over nighttime downtown London with hands clasped behind his back. The large picture window of his office at the Ministry ran with streaks of rain that lashed the enchanted view. Crooked fingers of lightning lit up the city with a dull white light as the low rumble of thunder followed close behind.

The early fall, or perhaps late summer, storms that rumbled over the British Isles was typical for this time of year. It was fitting to his mood none the less.

He had imagined many times what it would be like to sit at the Minister's post but nothing in his most elaborate musings could have prepared him for the utter mess he now faced.

He recalled very clearly what he had felt when he was told he had been nominated to the top job. He was thrilled, elated and flattered beyond comprehension. The pomp and pageantry of the swearing in ceremony was filled with happiness and a clear sense of relief for all. Now, after only three weeks as Minister, he was beginning to realize he may have prematurely jumped feet first and completely blindfolded into a proverbial meat grinder.

The Ministry was in utter chaos after the occupation by Voldemort's lot. While most of the damage and destruction was confined to the office of the Minister and the Department of Magical Law Enforcement the Death Eaters and those under their control had done their jobs well.

It took more than a week just to sort out the Minister's office and wade through the devastated records from the past administrations. It was only yesterday that his son Bill managed to break through the entangled magic that was placed on the Minister's vault and safes that contained highly sensitive Ministry financial information only to find almost all the existing Ministry funds had been stolen.

Millions of galleaons in Wizard bonds and tax receipts had been liberated leaving the Ministry on the verge of financial collapse.

At once, Arthur had attempted to invoke a little known Ministry law that was put in place to protect Ministry assets from just such a thing but Gringotts was being very uncooperative at present.

The Goblins were still plenty sore about the breach of security at the Wizard bank as well as the massive amount of damage done to the age-old establishment. They were angry no-one had been prosecuted and punished for the crime. If it were not for the fact that Bill was a Weasley the Goblins would not have given him permission to break the curses that seemed to entangle the entire Ministry.

The Wizengamot had issued a provision that, in the case of theft or attempted embezzlement all Ministry financial assets and accounts would be automatically frozen for protection and no one individual could claim or cash in stolen bonds or gain access to Ministry assets. This was indeed the case. The Goblins clamped down the Ministry accounts and refused to allow access to the assets by his office.

It would take a unanimous decision by the Wizengamot to gain access to any of the Ministry accounts and at present, with some members of the wizard governing body being implicated as Death Eater sympathizers, a full meeting of the Wizengamot was almost impossible for now. However, even then, without the actual bonds being in the possession of the Ministry access would still be denied.

To make matters even more complicated, Arthur's first meeting with the Muggle Prime Minister had not gone well. It had been only two days after he had been sworn in as the new Minister for Magic when the Prime Minister had sent a message demanding a meeting at once.

As a result of that meeting Arthur had been informed, none too politely, his administration would be held financially accountable for a vast majority of the damage sustained to muggle London as a result of what the Prime Minister called "your war!" The Muggles expected reparations to the bridge that was destroyed as well as many other buildings and structures. The amount of galleons necessary to cover the cost was going to be staggering to say the least.

The Prime Minister also informed Arthur any Civil liability that arose from Muggles missing or outright killed during the conflict would be passed on to his administration as well.

After the meeting Arthur felt like a well beaten bludger after a grueling Quidditch match. He also felt Wizard/Muggle relations had taken a major step backward.

Adding all that to the antics of his son Ronald he was beginning to think he had made a horrible mistake in accepting his appointment. Even though Arthur cared little what other's thought of him and his family Ron's indiscretions had, much to his dismay, given his new administration an unintended black eye with many of the wizard public.

If it had not been for Percy's quick thinking and insightfulness in such matters things would have been much worse. The Undersecretary's timely and well thought out press conference had eased much of the tension and pressure being put on his office. It was the first of its kind since Arthur could remember. Usually the Wizard Press just chased down and accosted whoever they wanted to question without regard for privacy. This new way was much more organized and kept the Minister insulated from being hounded by those wanting answers to questions he wasn't sure he could answer.

Arthur remembered the meeting well. Percy had been brilliant.

A room had been hastily prepared down on the second floor in the Division of Wizengamot Administration Services. It was about the only secure location within the Ministry at the moment.

Percy Weasley had sent owls to as many members of the Wizard Press as he could find within the Ministry records. With the date and time of the press conference set Arthur had voiced his concerns and skepticisms of Percy's decision.

"Do you think it wise to call attention to all that is happening just now Percy? It seems to me it would be better to wait until we had some good news to convey." Arthur looked at Percy with eyebrows pinched together.

"We need to get on top of this situation Minister. There is much rumor and speculation floating around out there right now. You've read the Prophet. You know what people are saying. We need to set the record straight and try to stop some of the bleeding before things get beyond our control."

Arthur looked pointedly at his son. He was proud of Percy for how he had stepped up and took charge of keeping the `hounds' at bay and standing between him and the muddled nonsense that battered at his office door daily. It allowed Arthur to focus on the important matters he needed to attend to.

"Promise me you won't lie or use those old misdirection tactics Cornelius Fudge used to use?" Arthur asked.

Percy cracked a wry grin, "I promise Dad…I mean Minister, nothing but the truth as we know it."

The meeting room was filled with eager-looking faces of every stripe as the Undersecretary stepped to the podium set on a raised platform at the front. A low rumble of buzzing conversations came to an abrupt halt and the only sounds that could be heard as Percy took to the platform were those of his own footsteps on the hollow wooden dais.

When he reached the podium hands started reaching for the ceiling and questions began being hurled at him from all sides. The noise was almost stifling. When Percy held up both hands the crowd quieted almost at once but there were some who would not be denied. A few questions lingered but he chose to ignore them. He had a clear set agenda and was not about to be bullied into changing it.

"Please…please," Percy said loudly to quell any opposition to his control over the proceedings, "I assure you, you will have a chance to pose your inquiries but I have a statement I would like to make that may answer many of them. Please hold your questions until then."

Percy paused looking out over the crowd waiting until he was sure everyone was willing to cooperate. When they all sat in silence he continued.

He knew these reporters and media people were like piranha. If they smelled just a hint of blood the feeding frenzy would be ugly and vicious. Many still smarted from being completely hoodwinked by the Fudge Administration and the complete tight-lipped office of the useless Rufus Scrimgeour. Percy had recognized many of the faces in the crowd and remembered how Fudge had manipulated all of them. Now, however, was not the time for innuendo or misdirection. He cleared his throat.

"As many of you know this new administration is being headed by a well known and much respected wizard who most of you know personally. However, having said that I feel it is my duty to remind you that he has only been in office for three weeks."

"Arthur Weasley, our new Minister for Magic has inherited an administration in turmoil, not only from the Death Eater occupation but from the past three administrations as well. As many of you already know those administration's tenures were short-lived and left many more questions then answers."

"The first issue I would like to address is one of grave concern. There is speculation that there has been wide spread infiltration of the Wizengamot by the former Dark Lord's followers…"

With that statement many sat up straighter and listened intently with quills poised over parchment or `Quick-Quotes" quills quivering in anticipation of his next words.

"The truth is that at present I cannot comment on that particular issue due to an ongoing investigation into these allegations within the Ministry. I can assure you there is no immediate threat from any of Voldemort's known associates and any found to be sympathetic to his cause will be uncovered and dealt with appropriately."

"Irregardless of what you've heard about the state of the Ministry at present I can assure you we are in complete control. Yes, things are in disarray right now but we are working tirelessly in setting the various departments to right."

"As many of you also know, Kingsley Shacklebolt has been appointed as Director for the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and has submitted plans for significant changes to that Department pending approval from not only the Minister's office but the Wizengamot as well."

"I'm sure many of you have seen the increased Auror presence in such places as Diagon Alley and around Hogsmeade. These are some of the preliminary changes that are taking place."

"However, due to the current state of the investigations any meetings of the full administrative body have been suspended until our investigations have been concluded. I have been told by the Department Of Magical Law Enforcement it will be approximately two weeks hence."

"The Minister has had an initial meeting with the Muggle Prime Minister to discuss issues pertaining to the Muggle world addressing the damage caused by this recent conflict. Negotiations are on-going so details of those negotiations cannot be revealed for obvious reasons. Relations with the Muggle world are strained at present as I'm sure you can all understand so it is a very delicate situation that needs to be handled with the utmost discretion."

"After much discussion the Minister has decided to appoint a liaison to the office of the Prime Minister to alleviate some of the pressure. Former Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge has been assigned to that post via the Department of Muggle Affairs Office and will report directly to the Minister."

That announcement caused the crowd of reporters to buzz with hushed conversations. A few brave correspondents even went so far as to stand up but were quelled by the Undersecretary's raised hands.

"Please, ladies and gentlemen you will all have your chance to ask questions in a moment. Please bear with me…" Percy waited until the gathering quieted once again, "Thank you."

"The decision to appoint Mr. Fudge to the position of liaison was due to the former Minister's familiarity of the Muggle Prime Minister's office. We felt it important to have a familiar face in place to work with the Muggle world at present. We feel Mr. Fudge is most qualified to competently carry out his duties as liaison and will be an asset to the Ministry in this position."

Percy took a long breath and continued.

"I know many of you have questions regarding our relationship with Gringotts and the Goblins. At present relations are strained with them as well as a result of what occurred during the conflict with the Dark Lord Voldemort. I assure you we are doing everything within our power to improve the situation between the Goblin community and wizards. Please understand that the Minister's office has no official comment on this particular situation and will be working as best we can with the Goblins to repair this relationship as expediently as possible."

"On a more pleasant note, I would like to announce that reparations to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry are complete and the new school term will begin as scheduled. The Ministry would like to thank everyone who volunteered and worked tirelessly to bring our historical educational institution back to its former glory. Those involved should be praised for their diligence and self-sacrifice to get the job done. Thank you one and all."

"In the very near future The Minister's office as well as the Wizengamot hope to be announcing the latest recipients of the prestigious Order of Merlin to be awarded for bravery and sacrifice to the cause of freedom and justice during this latest conflict with the dark forces that threatened our lives. Make no mistake, ladies and gentlemen we all here at the Ministry take the sacrifices by so many very seriously and wish to reward those who paid the ultimate price for our security. As many of you may know that sacrifice hit very close to me personally as well as the members of my family and the Order of the Phoenix."

Percy paused to gather his suddenly scattered thoughts as memories of Fred flooded his mind.

"We will announce the date and time of the Award Ceremony as soon our investigations have been concluded."

"Now…" Percy looked out over the crowd with apprehension and dread at the thought of what kind of questions he would shortly be subjected to but he had asked for this so, thrusting his chin forward he continued, "as I promised you may begin your questions as I call on you."

Almost everyone in the throng stood with hands raised. Percy looked out over them and selected a person at random. He pointed to a tall, skinny woman wearing a lime green hat.

"Delilah Dillywig, Daily Prophet. Thank you, Undersecretary for taking my question. Is it true what they are saying about Digby Danforth? Has he been implicated as a Voldemort supporter?"

Percy groaned internally. They would push for classified information and he was bound by duty to stand his ground. He knew it would make this administration seem evasive and secretive but there was no help for it.

"As I said prior, I can not comment on any of our investigations at this time as it may compromise them. Any member of the Wizengamot implicated as possible associates of the Death Eaters will be discovered and dealt with according to our laws."

While Ms. Dillywig didn't appear to be all that pleased with the response she made no further protest. Percy pointed at the next reporter.

"Anatol Zanzibar, Bulgarian Wizard News, Undersecretary. What about the remaining Death Eaters who are still at large?"

Percy's response to that question was immediate and decisive.

"We are aware that there still may be some minor players still at large but as you should know most of Voldemort's high level subordinates were killed in the final confrontation at Hogwarts. I have been assured by the Department of Magical Law Enforcement that finding and bringing to justice any remaining followers of the Dark Lord is our number one priority. However, to our knowledge there have been no reported attacks or incidents involving what remains of Voldemort's camp but we remain on full alert just the same."

The foreign correspondent's quill quivered across his parchment as he nodded in response. For the most part everyone was being sensible and Percy began to relax slightly but he knew the tough questions were yet to come. He nodded to the next person.

"Fenton Arbuckle, Daily Prophet. What about Lucius Malfoy? I heard he has been taken into custody?"

"Yes," Percy replied, "Lucius Malfoy has been detained by the Ministry and awaits trial before the full Wizengamot however as I previously stated any hearings have been postponed due to the on-going investigations. We are not prepared to set a trail date at present but as soon as we do you will be among the first to know."

"Sebastian Brint-Humbolt, International Wizard Press. Will he receive the Dementor's Kiss?"

"I cannot answer that question. It will be up to the Wizengamot to decide Lucius Malfoy's fate."

He pointed at the women to his right.

"Gloria McDoogal, Scottish Wizard-Times. I must say, Undersecretary this press meeting was a brilliant idea. My question is, are there any Death Eaters left in the Ministry? Those who bear the Dark Mark?"

"Thank you Miss McDoogal. We thought this much more organized and informative than what the press was previously subjected to by past administrations. I'm glad you approve. To answer your inquiry there are none that we are aware of. Our initial sweep of Ministry Personnel has not revealed anyone from Voldemort's camp but Kingsley is still looking into those matters as well as many others at present."

"Gustov Prestovinichek, Albanian Wizard-Herald. Is the wizard public in danger of any reprisals from survivors of the Dark Lord's followers?"

"While I am certain there is no major threat the truth is…until we've rounded up all who were in league with Voldemort the Ministry will remain on high alert. I would be remiss if I did not caution everyone to remain diligent and watchful for any suspicious behavior. Having said that however, we do not wish to create paranoia nor do we encourage the public to partake in `witch hunts' as the old saying goes. We will investigate any and all claims of the conduct of dark magic or subversive behavior but please allow the Department of Magical Law Enforcement to conduct the investigations. We don't want to imprison our neighbors for having a bad case of spattergroit or something equally as silly."

There was a smattering of laughter throughout the crowd at that response.

"Randolph Hurzog, London Times, Undersecretary."

At that announcement many of the witches and wizards in the crowd sucked in a collective gasp. It was unexpected for a muggle reporter to be in their midst.

"Is there any danger from the remaining Dementors? Are they still on the loose?"

"That's an excellent question Mr. Hurzog and the answer is no. All the original surviving Dementors have been rounded up by the Ministry and are back under our control however there may be a few breeding grounds yet to be discovered but we are still looking for them."

"The Minister's office is in the process of producing a pamphlet that will educate the wizard public about Dementors, how to recognize one and what to do if one is encountered. This is highly unlikely but just to be on the side of safety we will be distributing those within the next few days. Zeno Lovegood, the editor of the Quibbler has graciously volunteered to produce, publish, print and distribute those for us and we would like to thank him for his generosity and good will."

Percy paused with a quizzical look on his face.

"I must ask, Mr. Hurzog - I'm just a bit more than curious why the Muggle press is interested in wizard affairs? Surely you're not planning on printing this in the Times? It would be a serious breech in the International Statute of Secrecy would it not?"

It seemed that the entire room was holding its collective breath waiting for his response to the Undersecretary's plausible question.

"I assure you Undersecretary," Mr. Hurzog replied, "I'm her on the behest of the Prime Minister's office and any information I collect shall go no further than his desk."

"I see," Percy sighed in slight relief, "Very good then."

At that moment Rita Skeeter stood and without introduction, preamble or recognition from the podium fired off those questions Percy had been dreading. She stood swathed in expensive jewelry and impeccably dressed in custom-tailored business robes that announced her recent success with her literary efforts. The smug smile that plastered her overly-plump lips seemed to leave all with the impression of someone who thrives on controversy and stirring up the pot of gossip and subtle innuendo.

Percy cringed inwardly as he prepared himself for what he knew would be a distasteful experience.

"Does the Minister think it wise to appoint Cornelius Fudge to the position of Muggle Liaison? Seems to me he greatly abused his powers as Minister to try and subjugate the truth of Voldemort's return. If Wizard/Muggle relations are as tenuous as you say why should the Minister trust him to this important position?"

Percy took a deep breath and considered her question. He had to admit he had asked the same question of the Minister when his father told him of his plan.

"The Minister has the utmost confidence in Mr. Fudge's ability to carry out his duties in the position without question and the rest of his officers are behind this appointment as well. While there may be some question concerning Mr. Fudge's appointment as a result of his previous administration I assure you those issues have been addressed and discussed at length. Mr. Fudge has graciously accepted the post and has expressed nothing less than complete loyalty to the cause. The Prime Minister agrees and at present that means volumes in this climate."

Percy leaned over the podium and stared pointedly at Ms. Skeeter.

"The Minister, as well as I, believes everyone deserves a second chance..." he paused dramatically, "Don't you, Ms. Skeeter?"

She knew at once he was referring to her subversive activity at Hogwarts years before regarding how she was able to get within the confines of such a secure location to gain access to certain inside details. She had just barely kept the subsequent discovery of her being an unregistered Animagus out of the press. She still cursed the little `busy-body' who discovered her secret.

Rita blushed to the roots of her copper-colored hair but pressed on without pause.

"You are the Minister's son, are you not? Mr. Weasley? Do you think it a conflict of interest to have a family member in such a high ranking position within the Minister's camp? Do you not have a position of influence over the Minister's decisions?"

Percy's visage took on a dark hue for the briefest of moments as he turned his gaze to Rita Skeeter's benign smiling face. His voice remained calm and controlled but dropped to a deep resonance that emanated authority.

"I assure you that my last name has little to do with my dedication to my position. I take the job of Undersecretary very seriously no matter whose name in on the Minister's office door. I was, much to my dismay, just as loyal to the Fudge Administration at the time of his tenure in office. While some of his decisions were questionable, I stood by my appointment as Assistant Secretary and did not question the Minister's rationality. Some say I should have but my loyalty was with the Office, not the man. I'm sure if I become unstable in my position or start making questionable decisions you all," he swept the gathering with an arm, "will be more than willing to let me know right away."

Percy smiled out at the crowd genuinely. Some of the agents laughed heartily at his statement. Rita wasted no time in dropping the next bomb.

"Do you have any comment on the antics of one of the Golden Trio, Ronald Weasley who is, I presume, one of your brother's if I'm not mistaken. How does his…" Rita paused for dramatic effect, "behaviors reflect on the current Administration?"

Percy inwardly cringed at the inquiry. He knew the subject would be breached and he was fully prepared to respond but it still made his insides squirm uncomfortably. It simply amazed him that with all the other more important issues to worry over this frivolous drivel needed to be addressed. Even he was surprised that the wizard public even cared about such things at present but here he was, standing in the proverbial spotlight requesting he answer for his brother's stupid indiscretions in an official capacity. It was simply ridiculous. He took a deep breath, leaned forward on the podium and plastered a very stern but neutral look on his face.

"Please allow me to make something very clear to you all. The Minister's office has no official comment on the conduct of Ronald Weasley or anything that may, or may not be reported on this lad in the press. Yes, Mr. Weasley is the Minister's son and as his father these issues are being handled."

"This side issue has no bearing on the Minister's official capacity and has no effect on his ability to carry out his duties as an elected official of his office. We would appreciate that your questions pertain to issues related to his office and not those of a personal nature. However, unofficially, Mr. Ronald Weasley will be attending his final term at Hogwarts this fall to finish his education at the request of his parents. What he chooses to do upon graduation is his own choice."

"We would hope that his contribution to the demise of Voldemort and the subsequent destruction of the Death Eaters, which was substantial, would overshadow any silly adolescent mistakes of judgment that may have occurred over the past few weeks. Need I remind you there are much larger problems to contemplate and correct at present."

With his response Rita Skeeter seemed to physically shrink in size. Even though she still stood with her smarmy little smirk splayed across her face and her Quick Quotes Quill quivering ceaselessly across her notebook everyone in the room knew she had just been verbally spanked by the administration. The only recognition of that by Rita was the small rosy little patches that appeared on her cheeks.

With as much dignity and aloofness as she could retain she sat back in her seat. The rest of the session were general questions about disappearances and deaths as well as the state of the various Ministry departments and what was being done to correct them.

The correspondent from the London Times inquired about the many missing or dead Muggles. While it was difficult for Percy to put into words how horrible the idea was that those of his world had been responsible for the deaths of so many, what he did not tell him was that the administration possessed the knowledge that it was a list that was created by Hermione Granger that was used to systematically eliminate those who were placed on it innocently for no other reason than abhorrent evil. There was no reason he could think of to throw the young woman to the lions for such a thing. All agreed it wasn't her fault so that was the only truth he had kept from the press that day.

His conscience was clear.

When the stories and articles came out the following day the tone of those reports were much less vitriolic and hateful. Almost all praised the Ministry for the press meeting and considered it a smashing success. To Percy's knowledge, there was only one who had anything detrimental to say about it. One didn't need to possess an extensive imagination to figure out who that was.

While there was only a small portion of her article in the Prophet devoted to blasting, quite anemically, the Ministry for being as secretive and closed-lipped as always Rita Skeeter seemed more interested in announcing the first edition of her new publication, The Wizardly Inquisitor. It was touted to be a weekly publication devoted to what she described as "the true truth" whatever that was.

She was also more than thrilled to announce the up-coming release of her new book,' The Demise of Darkness; The Final Days of Lord Voldemort' but what struck Percy as significant was there was absolutely no mention of Ron's name anywhere in the article as being the source of the book. That suited him just fine for now. He would worry about the details later.

They all had enough to worry about at present.

-->