Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait by DarkWizardKiller
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait

DarkWizardKiller

Harry Potter and The Gilded Portrait - Part Two

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Chapter Seventeen - Making Plans

Later that day Harry returned to Grimmuald Place quite depressed. He had gone to the Granger's as planned and not finding Hermione there he went on to St. Mungo's.

The Healer on duty said he had seen her but she had left an hour before. He also told Harry she looked rather out-of-sorts. For someone who didn't know her to say that wasn't good.

As he sat on the bench outside her parent's room he tried to figure out where she might have gone. If she had gone to one of the places to do some additional research he could spend hours trying to find her and reasoned she might not want to be found so he decided to head back to #12.

Later that morning as he sat in his chair in the sitting room drinking an ice cold pumpkin juice he heard the familiar sound of the fireplace flare in the kitchen. Part of him was relieved and the other part apprehensive. He knew her mood would be dark and ill. He hoped she wouldn't take it out on him.

As he heard her footsteps getting closer she stopped for some reason. Harry waited but still she did not come into the room.

Harry was just about to get up when her head appeared around the doorway.

"I'm not interrupting anything am I? I'm sorry, I suppose I should announce the fact I'm coming over instead of barging in like this."

"Don't be daft Hermione!" Harry chuckled, "You're welcome here any time. You don't have to announce yourself! You might catch me in the loo from time to time but other than that…" Harry raised his arms, "Just me and Kreacher here."

He wasn't sure if he should mention Ron yet or not so he decided to keep mum about that until she brought up the subject.

The rest of Hermione appeared in the doorway. She looked coy and a bit apprehensive. It was quite unusual for her. She was usually filled with self-righteous indignation and nervous energy most of the time these days.

Harry also noticed she still looked thin and drawn, like she had not slept at all. His heart pinched at the thought of what she had to endure over the past weeks. It was easy to feel for her because he had been on the emotional roller coaster with her for some of it.

Hermione looked into Harry's eyes only briefly as he approached. She couldn't seem to hold his gaze.

That's very much unlike the Hermione I know!

Harry knew something was wrong at once. Hermione looked down at her hands, her fingers twisting nervously.

"I just wanted to come by and…and say goodbye Harry."

Harry froze.

"What do you mean goodbye?"

His brain seemed to jamb for a moment as his eyes searched hers for some kind of unspoken clue as to what she was really trying to tell him.

Hermione's whole demeanor changed then. She no longer looked timid. She stood straight and squared her shoulders as if preparing to argue her case if it came to that. A serious look settled in her eyes.

It was only because he had known this girl for years he was able to understand her often rapid mood changes. It was also the fact he and Hermione had developed what could only be described as the uncanny ability to often communicate with one-another without the need for words.

He had never pretended to understand it nor took the time to analyze it either. It never manifested itself with anyone else so he wasn't sure it was even something tangible. It had been very useful during some of the most harrowing times for both of them but at the moment it didn't seem to be working.

"I've decided to go away Harry and I wanted to tell you face to face," Hermione replied, "You're the only one I am telling besides McGonagall. I feel the need to separate myself from the wizard world for a while."

She walked past him into the sitting room while she was talking, casting Harry a furtive glance over her shoulder as she passed.

He watched her for a moment, turning so he could keep his eyes on her. She sat down stiffly on the edge of the over-stuffed ottoman in front of Harry's favorite chair. Her eyes seemed distant and unfocused.

"There seems to be nothing anyone can do for my parents for now and it seems horribly obvious the longer they remain in this condition the less likely we are to find a solution. One only has to look at Neville's parents to see that."

A look of raw anguish washed over her features for a brief moment before the empty, blank look that had been her mask for the past weeks returned. It was her attempt to keep all her pain inside that stirred Harry into motion. He moved to the chair behind the ottoman and sat leaning toward his best friend.

Harry reached out and without realizing, gently forced Hermione to turn around on the ottoman and face him. He took both her hands gently in his and peered into her eyes. He expected to see them glistening with tears but he was not at all prepared to see a look of utter despair and resignation hidden beneath her stoic countenance.

"The situation with Neville's parents is completely different. They were tortured into madness by evil. You know that. Hermione I know there is a way to help your parents and I know you'll be the one to find it. I've never known anyone in my life as clever, resourceful and determined as you. I would not be here right now if it weren't for your ability to reason things out. You just need time."

Harry dropped his gaze to their hands. Hermione had entwined her fingers with his and she held onto him tightly. He continued.

"Maybe getting away from everything is just what you need. You know, help clear your head and all. Can I ask where you're going or is that a secret protected with one of Hermione's cleverest hexes?"

He glanced back into her eyes and realized to his relief her usual `what-an-idiot' smirk played across her lips for a moment. He was relieved to discover she was not too far gone into the depths of despair.

"No Harry," she said softly, "That's one of the reasons I came here before I left you dolt."

"Oh?" Harry's eyebrows shot up, "And what's the other reason?"

Hermione glanced up into his eyes with another serious look.

"I want you to go with me Harry." She replied in an almost breathless whisper.

Harry was stunned for a moment. He wasn't sure what to say. Hermione began speaking rapidly like she did when she was very nervous.

"I mean really Harry. Think about it for a moment. You can't leave this place without getting mobbed by every Tom, Dick and Sally wanting a piece of the…bloody Savior of the Wizarding World and the Prophet haunts your every step. I mean, you've got blokes bouncing off #12 on a daily basis for Merlin's sake."

He knew she was referring to the two wizard reporters who tried to break the wards to #12 and got thrown all the way to the Scottish Highlands by the rebounding charm Kinsley installed as a joke. It had happened while they were at Hogwarts doing research. An alarm spell had been tripped when it happened and Aurors were dispatched instantly. Kingsley had sent them his patronus to let him know.

Hermione released her grip on Harry and stood up. She began pacing the room, her hands animated as she made her case.

"Ginny in her infinite stupidity tossed over the most powerful Wizard in the world for her old boy toy. Not to mention your best friend has written a ridiculous tell-all book with one of the wizard world's biggest gossips and there's no telling what kind of rubbish that work of fiction contains…"

Harry watched her with amusement. He had already made up his mind but she was on a roll and he liked seeing her like this much better than being lost inside her own head.

Hermione stopped pacing and looked back at him expectantly.

Harry sat back in the chair as if in contemplation. He looked up at her with a smirk.

"Well when you put it that way it sounds like I need a vacation worse than you do."

Hermione crossed her arms and stared at him, her eyes had gone to thin slits.

"You do!" She answered.

"Alright, you've convinced me," Harry said matter-of-factly as he stood up, "When do we leave?"

Hermione seemed to morph like the sun had suddenly come out from behind heavy dark clouds. She was beaming as she threw herself into Harry's arms with a squeal of delight.

"Do you mean it Harry?" Her face was covered in a huge toothy smile. It had been a long time since he had seen it and it was like one of Madam Pomfrey's healing potions to an open wound.

Harry seemed to think she was a bit more excited about this than he thought was appropriate but as he stood there in the sitting room of his home holding his best friend in his arms wrapping him in a bone crushing hug new and very un-platonic thoughts swirled in his brain.

Harry couldn't help recall, once again, the night she had kissed him at her parent's house. She seemed to press her body into his molding herself to him as though she couldn't get close enough. She laid her head against his shoulder for a moment holding him in a death grip.

Her body felt almost frail in his arms. The past few months had taken a physical toll on her. He knew she had not been eating or sleeping well. If going away with her could alleviate some of her anxiety then it would be worth it. He would do it for her.

Before he could react Hermione leaned her head back just enough to look up into his face with a very Ginny-like blazing look. The smell of her lavender scented skin and the softness of her hair assaulted his senses like nothing before.

Harry suddenly felt her lips, soft and warm on his again. The contact, while anticipated this time still sent a wonderfully exciting tingling sensation right up the middle of his back. His hands seemed to grip her tighter all on their own.

What started out as nothing more than a friendly peck seemed to change into a sudden desperate need even stronger then the last time.

Hermione felt a rush of heat that started somewhere near her navel and coursed over her body flaring past her cheeks to scorch her ears.

Suddenly their mouths crushed together. She wanted to taste him. It was is if she couldn't breath unless she did. It was a curious and frightening feeling. Hermione's lips parted and her tongue touched Harry's. It was as if a bolt of lightning blasted through her. She suddenly realized she wanted more.

For the second time in her life the thrill of physical desire coursed through her body. The first time had been with Victor Krum. The passion and desire he had felt for her had been thrilling and dangerous. She had given in only out of the sheer longing to be needed and wanted by…someone.

Victor had made it easy. He hadn't cared if she lacked grace or the skills of her seemingly well experienced dorm mates. What began as an awkward attempt at self-discovery and an attempt to strike back at Ron for being such an insensitive idiot ended in a blazing inferno of physical passion and mutual need but Victor had become nothing more than a vehicle to assuage her curiosity. It had been intense.

She had felt guilty for weeks after her brief affair with the Bulgarian Quidditch star but he had taught her things she wanted to know.

The fact she had, for quite a while, remained in contact with Victor through their on-going correspondence was what she considered her penance for using him. Victor never saw it that way. He had been so caring and understanding. His gentleness was a stark contrast to the person he showed the world.

She knew at once she didn't love Viktor. It was one of the things that made it so horrifying to think of after it was over. He, however, had been completely smitten with her. She had to tell him it wasn't intended as a start to a long-term romance. He would be leaving soon. The words Scarlet Woman echoed in her head for a long time after. She thought maybe Rita's article in the Prophet wasn't so wrong after all.

But even with all the knowledge and experience she had gained from Victor it had not prepared her for the things she was now feeling in the arms of the boy she suddenly realized she had been in love with all her young life.

The certainly of it filled her conscious mind as she stood there probing the depths of him with her tongue. His taste, his warmth, the strength of his body pressed firmly against hers. It was enough to burn her to ashes right there in the middle of the sitting room.

After months of debilitating sadness and grief the damn that seemed to be holding back all her emotions burst wide open and emptied into the depths of Harry's physical presence in her life. She finally understood he was now and had been for most of her life as a Muggle-born witch the only one she had ever turned to who truly understood her to the depths no-one else possibly could. Not even her mother and father.

Hermione clung to him as if Harry was a life preserver being tossed about in an endless stormy sea.

For Harry, Hermione's desperation became clear very quickly. He kept himself anchored to the reality he was snogging most intensely with his best and most trusted friend. For reasons he could not fathom at the moment something inside told him she needed this. Hermione needed him in a way, here to for, he had never considered possible or practical.

But there he was, locked in a passionate and intensely heated physical encounter with the most amazing girl he has ever known. The feel of her soft lips and swirling tongue on his wiped every other conscious thought from his slowly over-heating brain.

It was impossible for the rest of his body not to react to Hermione's raw need. He wanted to be embarrassed but just couldn't seem to manage it. Hermione slid a hand to the back of his neck keeping his mouth pressed firmly against hers and grinding her hips against his in response to his growing excitement.

If he was to be honest, he had never had this kind of reaction with Ginny. He never felt like this when he had kissed Cho Chang for the very first time. It was so much more intense. It was so much more…real.

Is this what true love feels like?

The thought slammed into Harry's mind as he stood there enjoying the sensations Hermione was making him feel but he also knew if he didn't stop soon it would be very easy for him to loose control of himself. With Hermione in the state of mind she had been in for the past months, common sense told him she was vulnerable and weak. That thought was enough to gently put a bit of space between them.

With great reluctance Hermione's lips left his and she leaned back looking up into his bewildered face.

"Wow," was all Harry could mutter.

The heat that flashed through him during the kiss diminished only slightly as he saw the look in Hermione's eyes. He wasn't sure he recognized it. He recalled seeing a similar look on the face of one Romilda Vane a few years before. He was just as clueless then. He thought it best to steer them into safer waters.

Hermione wanted nothing more than to stay within the safety of Harry's arms. For the first time since they left Hogwarts after Dumbledore's funeral she felt at ease as if nothing bad could touch her there within his embrace. Her tired mind felt calm and she could feel his strength and resolve flow into her. The kiss had caused her own body to react in ways it had never done before. Not even during the throws of passion with Victor. This was different…it was much deeper.

"So where are we going anyway?" Harry asked in a rather breathless voice.

Hermione smiled.

Always the gentleman this one…even when I'm not sure I want him to be…

Hermione took his hand and pulled him toward the hallway.

"Come on," she said with a big grin as she tugged on his arm, "I'll show you."

Harry allowed her to tow him up the stairs and into the small Black library on the second floor. She stopped in front of an old, faded antique globe of the world set in a shadowy corner of the room. Harry could scarcely remember the globe even being there.

Hermione spun the dusty orb slowly letting her fingers glide softly over the embossed surface until it came to a stop with her fingers resting over the island of Australia.

Harry's heart pinched again but to his surprise Hermione was smiling. She pointed to a collection of what appeared to be tiny brown dots in the middle of an almost endless expanse of blue. She turned and looked at Harry's surprised face.

"These are the Islands of what is called French Polynesia in the Tuamotu Archipelago. See the largest island here?"

She pointed to a brown dot that was only slightly larger than the rest.

"That's the island of Tahiti…"

"Tahiti," Harry repeated as if he was trying the word on for size.

"Yes," Hermione continued. Her eyes sparkled in the candle light as she smiled sadly at him, "My parents took me there when I was 8. I couldn't help but fall in love with the place. It's so warm and peaceful."

A distant look passed across her face for a moment but then she smiled again looking into Harry's eyes.

"I know you'll fall in love with it too Harry."

"It's so far away from everything isn't' it?" He asked. "Are there…"

Before he could ask the question Hermione seemed to already know the answer. The wordless communication ability seemed to be back.

"No Harry," she said as she stepped back from the globe, "there are no wizards or witches there at all, at least none who live there that I know of."

Harry nodded.

"How will we get there? Are we going to apparate?"

Hermione didn't look at him.

"No Harry," she said as her eyes scanned the globe again, "It's much too great a distance to apparate. I think I just need a break from magic for a while as well. Can you understand that? You being half Muggle should understand what I'm saying, yes?"

That statement caught Harry completely by surprise. He could scarcely believe what he was hearing. It was like hearing the Muggle Prime Minister saying he was tired of politics or Victor Krum was through with Quidditch but as he stood there absorbing her words the rationality of what she had said sank in.

Over the past several years Hermione had become so engrained in the world of magic she had all but lost touch with a wholly separate world she had been a part of half her life. Even if she felt she never truly fit in she had a life there. She had a childhood and memories and wonderful times with her parents.

Harry could scarcely relate. His life as a Muggle had been filled with abuse, emptiness and loneliness. None of which he understood or realized until he found out he belonged to a completely different world himself. For him it was an escape, a way to break free of a life filled with hate and the lack of self-identity.

He never before thought about what it must have been like for Hermione to learn she was completely different from those around her. It must have been the same for his mother Lilly as well. To find out you don't even fit in with your own family must have been devastating for them.

For Hermione, she had taken hold of the Wizard World with an iron grip of her tiny fist. She had proved to everyone Hermione Granger would take a back seat to no one when it came to magic. Her skills and abilities rivaled those twice her age and her intelligence was incomprehensible to any but the most experienced of their kind.

But for the first time since she had burst into their compartment that fateful day on the Hogwarts Express Harry wasn't seeing `The Bossy little Nightmare.' He was seeing a young woman who had been through much pain and sorrow. He wasn't seeing the determination and strength that had kept them alive the past five years, he was seeing a girl who needed to be loved and cared for. Someone with feelings and needs even though he wasn't quite sure what those needs were at the moment.

As he looked into her eyes Harry thought he could sense she felt he could give her what she needed and he decided right then and there he would…whatever it was he would give it to her. It was just as he had told Ron, after all Hermione Granger had done for him it was the least he could do.

The realization of what he had just decided filled him with a warmth and happiness he had never felt before.

"So how, then," he asked again, "How are we to get to that little dot in the middle of the ocean?"

Hermione's face broke out in a wide, devious grin.

"Ever been on a Muggle airplane before Harry?"

"No, actually," Harry blanched, "Is it anything like flying on a broom?"

Hermione wrinkled her cute little nose and rolled her sparkling brown eyes.

"No silly," she quipped as she grabbed his hand and in her usual bossy fashion she towed Harry from the library, up the stairs and toward his bedroom, "flying on a plane is nothing like a broom. The one we'll be on is very large so you don't even know you're flying really. Now we've got to get you packed!"

Hermione's excitement was back as they entered his room. She turned his hand loose and went right to the closet. She pulled her wand from her pocket and with an expert flick of her wrist all his hanging clothes marched into the room and laid themselves in neat stacks on the bed.

Harry couldn't help but raise an eyebrow.

"I thought you said you needed a break from…"

Before he could finish his retort Hermione cast him a withering glare. It shut him right up. He made himself busy pulling under things from the drawers of Sirius' old dresser.

As Hermione stood surveying his clothes a look of sheer agony crossed her face.

"Oh Harry," she groaned, "Are these the only clothes you have?"

Harry's face blushed scarlet. He knew he didn't possess nice things. Most of his wardrobe consisted of old, worn out Dudley hand-me-downs both tired and ill-fitting. Until that moment he had never cared much about his appearance. It wasn't like he went to fancy parties or social events like Ron. He had only one set of nice clothes and he usually reserved them for hearings in front of an angry Wizengamot or funerals. There had been way too many of both in the past few years.

As they stood surveying his pathetic wardrobe Hermione's whole expression changed as she placed her hands firmly on her hips. She turned to look at Harry with a most serious expression on her face.

"I think it's time for you to get some new things Harry," Hermione said with an authoritative air, "past time, actually. You once told me you've got plenty of galleons in your vault at Gringotts yes?"

Harry nodded as he fingered one of Dudley's old ragged t-shirts that was two sizes too large.

Hermione reached out and took his hand once again.

"I'm taking you shopping," Hermione ordered. "We'll stop by Gringotts bank and get the funds you need. Besides, you're going to need a bit of spending money for the trip. I'm sure they can convert some of your galleons to Muggle money.

With that Hermione towed a reluctant Harry away from his room.

Harry's head was spinning slightly as he allowed himself to be pulled down the stairs toward the fireplace down in the kitchen.

A sudden unpleasant thought occurred to him as he followed Hermione through the house.

He stopped abruptly at the bottom of the stairs. Hermione stopped with a jolt and turned back to look at Harry's pale face.

"What is it?" She asked.

"I'm not sure how wise it would be for us to show up at Gringotts at present if you know what I mean." Harry replied.

She realized what he was getting at instantly. The memory of breaking into the wizard bank flooded her mind. They had been single-handedly responsible for an enormous amount of damage to one of the most secure locations in the wizard world. The Goblins were not likely going to forget it any time soon…if ever.

The here-to-for impenetrable establishment not only took a major hit to its reputation but also to the Goblin's pride. There was not only an Official Investigation demanded by the Goblins but there were articles in the Profit for days after detailing every aspect of what was now being called, `The Assault on Gringotts.'

What was left of the Ministry and several members of the Wizengamot had rushed in and attempted to explain to the Goblins what had happened but the Goblins were not at all please there would be no one to answer for the crime. It had created a larger rift in an already strained relationship between Wizards and Goblins and would not be healed any time soon.

For Harry, he felt guilty for being responsible for causing the problems at the Wizard bank.

For Hermione, she thought the whole thing completely ridiculous.

Even though, she stood looking thoughtful for a moment. Then her face took on her usual no-nonsense look as she continued toward the fireplace in the kitchen.

"Not to worry Harry," she said with her head held high, "That won't be a problem."

---@>---

The silence of Shell Cottage was almost palpable as Fleur sat on the ornate floral sofa trying to concentrate on a book her mother had given her on her last visit. The only sound was the constant lulling waves rolling gently against the shore in the background of the bright, late morning sun.

It usually had a calming effect but for the last few days it was an effort for her to keep the nausea and light-headedness at bay.

Since Arthur had been elected as Minister for Magic, Molly and Ginny had decided to move into the Minister's residence in London.

Part of Fleur was glad to have her home back to herself but she felt a bit guilty for feeling that way.

Molly was an ever-present entity at the cottage since the night they went to St. Mungo's wanting to be useful as always and Ginny, restless as ever, seemed to be joined at the hip with Dean Thomas the entire time she was there.

Between Arthur, George and Percy constantly popping in and out and Bill being under an enormous amount of stress trying to convince the Goblins what had happened at Gringotts was for the greater good of the wizard world she got very little peace or privacy.

She was about to give up on the book for the present and go make herself a cup of tea when the fireplace in the corner of the living room flared to life in billowing green flames.

Fleur started so violently her whole body seemed to clench painfully.

She looked at the fireplace to see a fiery representation of Hermione Granger's head and shoulders sticking out from the grate.

"I'm really sorry for the intrusion Fleur. I hope I'm not interrupting…" Hermione's flaming head announced.

"No…no, eet is quite alright `ermione. What can I do for you mon cheri?" Fleur asked, still trying to calm her fluttering heart.

"I was looking for Bill actually. Harry needs to withdraw some of his money from his account and as a result of what happened we thought it best to check with Bill first. We don't think the Goblins are…very pleased with us right now."

Fleur's annoyance at the stress and pressure Bill had been under the past few weeks flashed through her mind but she kept it from reaching her face. She understood as well as anyone why they had to break into Gringotts but it was still hard for her to reconcile the fallout that her husband had been dealing with, her present physical condition not withstanding.

"Bill is at the office at present I believe. Perhaps it would be best eef I were to send him a message on your behalf, no?"

"That would be great," Hermione's head smiled, "Thank you Fleur. I certainly wouldn't bother you…"

Fleur waved off the apology and rose from the couch. A sudden spell of dizziness swept over her and she had to clutch the arm of the sofa to steady herself. Her stomach seemed to roll unpleasantly as she absent-mindedly clutched her mid section.

Hermione noticed and a look of concern crossed her flaming visage.

"Are you alright Fleur?"

Fleur nodded without answering for a moment. She then straightened up slowly and turned to the fireplace. Hermione thought she looked a little green but made no further comment.

"Just a beet under zee wezar," Fleur cringed. "Not to worry. I will tell Bill to meet you and Harry out in front of Gringotts at say…" Fleur glanced at the clock on the mantle. It was 10:00a.m., "eleven o' clock? Will zat be acceptamon?"

"That will be perfect Fleur, thank you again for your help," Hermione paused before she pulled back from the fireplace, "Are you sure…"

Again Fleur's hand came up to stop her question.

"I'm quite alright `ermione," she answered, "not to worry. I sink I just need to go and lie down for a bit."

"Very well then," Hermione still looked concerned but said nothing further about it, "thanks again."

With that she pulled back from the fireplace and returned to the kitchen at Grimmuald Place. Having been the first time Hermione used the floo in such a manner she found herself a bit disoriented by the experience. She had to sit for a minute and gather her wits. When she recovered she related the info to Harry and they made their way up to the library to wait until about 10:45 before they left.

In that time Hermione had called the Airline she had booked the flight on to see if she could get Harry a seat otherwise she would have to cancel her flight and take a different one. Since the airlines weren't all that busy at present she had no problem getting Harry on and was even able to get them seats together.

She also contacted the Muggle resort where she had booked her reservations and changed them to two guests instead of one. She was pleased to discover she would receive a 15% discount on Harry's stay for adding the extra guest.

She had also made arrangements for them to pick up Harry's passport and Visa on the way back from Diagon Alley.

By the time she was finished she admitted her Muggle credit card was now almost maxed out. Harry frowned at that.

"Don't worry Hermione, I promise I'll pay my part. Maybe Bill can fix it up to put the money back on your card while we're there."

"Don't worry about it Harry," Hermione said, "I'm just relived I'll not be going alone."

Something occurred to Harry at that moment. He had no idea where the thought came from but he couldn't help but grin slyly.

"Well, you could have always invited Cormac McLaggen."

The look she gave him made him suddenly wish he had not opened his mouth.

"And you can fly half way round the globe in a full body-bind curse as well smart arse!" She glared, "I'd feed you to the sharks but you'd probably just give them indigestion. Can we go now before I really lose my temper?"

Without another word Harry spun on his heel and they made their way down to the front entrance. Thankfully, by the time they reached the door Hermione was chuckling and mumbling to herself about confunded-muscle-bound-bludger-beaten-idiots.

As Harry grabbed the door knob he stopped. He recalled the last time he left through the front entrance. He turned to look at Hermione's surprised face for a second.

"What now Harry," she asked with her eyebrows raised.

"Erm…maybe we should just apparate from here."

He really didn't want to get into a long explanation about what had happened to him last time so he just gave her a serious look.

"Wizard press."

"Ah," Hermione nodded. She needed no further information then that.

They clasped hands and with a twist Hermione thought of Diagon Alley very clearly in her mind. With a "pop" they both vanished on the spot.

Appearing just outside the entrance to Knockturn Alley they made their way across the small square to the corner of Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley near the front entrance to the wizard bank.

They saw Bill standing just outside the building talking to two Aurors who were guarding the front entrance. As Harry and Hermione approached they noticed something very unusual about Bill's appearance.

They realized at once Bill looked quite normal. The damage that had been done to him by Fenrir Greyback seemed to be completely gone! They looked at one-another with large smiles on their faces as they approached Bill's smiling handsome face.

"I can see by your expression my glamour is working flawlessly," Bill grinned, "Good to see you both again. It's been too long."

He reached out his hand to Harry shaking it and gave Hermione a quick embrace.

"How…" Harry asked unable to hide the look of surprise.

"It seems the Healers at St. Mungo's are experimenting with all sorts of things like this these days," Bill replied as he ushered them into the bank, "They've even managed to make a replacement ear for George. It's quite amazing. Looks just like his old one."

Harry already knew about the ear of course but Hermione was stunned. Harry didn't tell Bill that George and Lee had already modified his ear to do some crazy things.

"Fleur hates it," Bill added, "She says it's not the real me. I just use it at work. It makes dealing with clients and customers much more comfortable and these days I need to try and be as inconspicuous as possible."

They knew exactly what Bill was saying. Their little stunt had caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people.

As they made their way toward Bill's office Harry and Hermione got the unmistakable sense of a multitude of eyes on them as they passed. The feeling of malevolent anger settled on the back of Harry's neck like a sunburn and the tension in the place was so thick you could cut through it with a wave of a wand.

As they entered what was a rather large and nicely appointed office Bill went around and settled behind his desk.

He motioned for Harry and Hermione to take two comfortable chairs setting in front of his large oak desk.

To the right a tiny Goblin sat at an appropriately sized desk bent over what looked like a large and elaborate ledger, his quill scratching across the surface filling in numbers taken from a pile of papers on the left side of his tiny desk. He didn't even bother to look up when the others came in.

"That's Trumble Fent," Bill said introducing the Goblin. The little creature only waved to them without looking, "He's my assistant. Good fellow - very smart with the numbers. Now what can I do for you two. Fleur said you needed to make a withdrawal Harry?"

When Bill said the words withdrawal and Harry the little Goblin's head popped up and he turned to stare at them with wide eyes. Bill scowled at his assistant.

"Mind your business Trumble," Bill growled, "I'm dealing with a customer."

The little Goblin said nothing but simply turned and closed the huge ledger book slowly, slipped off his stool and shuffled his way to the door.

"I shall return in a moment Mr. Weasley," Trumble croaked, "Shall I bring our customers refreshments upon my return?"

"No thank you Trumble but it's very nice of you to ask," Bill replied not taking his eyes off the Goblin until the office door closed. Bill sighed heavily.

"I'd wager within minutes every Goblin in the building is going to know you two are here so it would probably be best to finish our business as quickly as possible."

Harry's face fell with a look of sadness.

"I'm really sorry for causing so much trouble for everyone but getting in here without the Death Eater's knowing was essential. I just didn't realize it would cause so much damage…"

Bill held up a hand.

"Think no more about it Harry," Bill said with his usual handsome roguish grin, "What had to be done is done. So how much will you need?"

Harry thought about it for a moment but then turned to Hermione for advice.

"Well," Hermione replied looking thoughtful, "You need a complete new wardrobe Harry. You'll also need a few things for our trip…"

"Trip?" Bill asked, his eyebrows set high.

"Yes," Hermione said blushing slightly, "I need a break from the wizard world for a while so I invited Harry to go on holiday with us for a few weeks. We both need a break from all the ridiculous attention and nonsense."

Harry couldn't help but catch the us in Hermione's explanation. He was certain she didn't want to explain about her parents.

"Ah," Bill said with a smile, "I understand completely. So when you say a complete new wardrobe?"

Hermione quickly explained the pathetic state of Harry's clothing. Harry couldn't help but feel embarrassed. Hermione laid a comforting hand on his knee.

"I see," replied Bill, "Well that will certainly be a bit of an expense. Would you say two thousand would be enough to cover it?"

Hermione looked at Harry, eyes wide not realizing just how much money it would cost to replace everything he had with better stuff. She nodded ruefully.

Harry just grinned, "Better make it three thousand just to be on the safe side."

Bill only nodded completely unaffected by the request. Hermione blanched.

"For Merlin's sake Harry," she said glancing at him worriedly, "You don't want to empty your account do you?"

Bill chuckled and Hermione looked at him puzzled.

"Hermione," Bill said with a smile, "It would take days for a team of Goblins to count all the galleons in Harry's vault. Three thousand pounds worth wouldn't put the smallest of dents in his balance."

Hermione's eyes flew wide, "I see."

"The exchange rate from galleons, or should I say gold, to pounds right now is better then it has been in ages. The exchange at the moment is," he shuffled some papers on his desk until he found what he was looking for then held it up to read it, "790 pounds to the Galleon."

"Seven hundred and ninety pounds!" Hermione almost choked. She stared at Harry wide-eyed.

Bill nodded.

"Something tells me I should have been investing my allowance in galleons," Hermione quipped under her breath.

Harry and Bill laughed.

"Can you transfer funds over to say…a Muggle credit card or something like that?" Harry asked. Hermione shot him a look.

"Certainly," Bill replied, "You've got a credit card Harry?"

"No…no, It's just Hermione went to a lot of expense to make the necessary travel plans and I think she spent most of her money doing it. I would like to replace what she spent on me."

"It was my parents actually," Hermione added hastily. It wasn't exactly a lie. The card was in her father's name after all.

"No problem," said Bill, "Let me see the card and I can do the transfer right from here. Believe it or not the Goblins are heavily invested in the Muggle world. Much of their financial resources come from the profits they make on a few…shall we say…clever inventions they hold patent rights on in the Muggle world."

Hermione blanched.

"Isn't that a breach of the Statute of Secrecy?"

Bill held his hands out palms down as if to signal for Hermione to keep her voice down. He was suddenly sorry for saying anything about that particular subject.

"Technically…yes," Bill responded, "but the inventions are only minor ones and the Ministry has seen fit to look the other way so to speak. It's netted a sizable profit and the Goblins have been generous to the Ministry as a result. It's politics Hermione. Having said that it would not be in the Ministry's best interest to object to much of anything at present due to the climate which we find ourselves in if you understand what I'm saying."

They did but it stuck in Hermione's craw the past Administrations had seen fit to allow such an obvious breach in the law.

Bill cleared his throat and decided to steer the conversation to safer waters and get back to the business at hand.

"So how much do you want in pounds and how much transferred to Hermione's card? Bill asked with a smile.

Harry and Hermione talked it over for a moment then she looked back at Bill.

"Ok, the round trip ticket was 4125 pounds, the open reservation required a 300 pound deposit, add on the Visa and passport fees of 50 pounds and that's it for the expenditures on the card for Harry."

Bill was working an old-fashioned adding machine while she was speaking.

"Very well, that's 4475 pounds total, factor the exchange rate, transfer and conversion fees, and done!"

Harry tossed Hermione a rye glance then looked back at Bill.

"Transfer an even five thousand to her card if you would please Bill."

Hermione looked at Harry like he had just insulted her mother.

"No you will not Bill! Just the amount I specified please."

"Bill." Harry said.

"Harry!" Hermione glared.

"Hermione," Bill chuckled, "It's his money. He's the customer."

Hermione folded her arms in a huff looking mutinous.

"Fine!" she growled, "Do what you like."

Harry chuckled then they finished making all the necessary funds transfers. They finally decided on three thousand for the wardrobe, one thousand pounds in cash with an additional five thousand put on a Muggle cash card they could use anywhere. It was Bill's suggestion they not carry such a large amount of cash on them.

Harry split the cash and handed half to Hermione who at first refused to take it. When Harry explained it was just for security reasons she reluctantly agreed.

With the funds put back on Hermione's credit card they felt they had enough money to cover just about any situation they might encounter in the Muggle world.

Hermione was still miffed about the extra money but she suddenly recalled how Fleur had looked when she floo-ed Shell Cottage.

"Is Fleur not feeling well Bill? She looked positively ill when I popped in on her. Is she alright?"

Bill's face unexpectedly went a light shade of pink that showed even through his glamour. He sat back in his chair and gave Hermione a significant look mumbling something about confounded clever little witches. Luckily Hermione didn't catch it.

"I'm going to tell you both something I would appreciate not being repeated to anyone else for the time being, understood?"

Both Harry and Hermione nodded in agreement.

"Of course Bill," Hermione said, "not a word. We promise." Harry nodded.

Bill took a deep steadying breath.

"Fleur's pregnant."

It took a moment for the announcement to sink in but when it did both Harry and Hermione were on their feet smiling, laughing and congratulating Bill most jubilantly. Bill, on the other hand didn't look quite as enthusiastic about the news. That struck Hermione as quite odd.

"What's wrong Bill? Why do you look so unhappy?"

Bill looked as if he were struggling with some very unpleasant thoughts for a moment.

"Fleur's alright isn't she?" Harry asked, becoming a bit alarmed himself.

Finally Bill decided to out with his concerns.

"It's just I'm scared that's all. What with Fleur being part Veela and you're well aware of my affliction…I'm just worried there will be complication or we might lose the baby for some odd reason," Bill leaned forward and put his elbows on the desk. He dropped his head in his hands, "Losing the baby would absolutely kill Fleur. We've decided not to tell anyone yet until we are sure she can carry the baby to term. Mum doesn't even know yet and she's been popping in and out for the past two weeks. We've just been telling her Fleur's ill."

When Bill looked up finally he saw Harry had a look of honest concern on his face but when he glanced at Hermione she was giving him a knowing little cryptic smirk.

"What's that look for Hermione?" Bill inquired a bit haughtily.

"Personally I don't think you've got a thing to worry about Bill," Hermione said matter-of-factly.

"Explain?"

"Very simple actually," Hermione replied grinning, "I think you're forgetting an important fact. This had already been accomplished if I'm not mistaken…and I'm not."

Both Harry and Bill gave her quizzical looks. Hermione just rolled her eyes at how thick they were being.

"Nymphadora and Remus you knuckleheads!" Hermione laughed, "And if I recall correctly, and I think I do," she continued smugly, "Remus' lycanthropic infection was quite a bit more severe than yours and I believe little Teddy picked up his mother's traits instead. Even though it would seem the lycanthropy would be the dominant trait in that situation it didn't seem to manifest itself in Teddy at all…quite curious actually but really Bill, I don't think you need to torture yourself like this. I think your chances of having a perfectly healthy baby are ten times what they were for Remus and Tonks and it didn't stop them in the least."

A look of sheer wonder and surprise settled on Bill's features. Harry just sat grinning at her. He had become well accustomed to her level of intelligence over the years.

"Why that's…I…" Bill stammered, then recovered quickly. "You know, the Healers didn't even pick up on that. Why do I suddenly feel very foolish?"

"Not to worry Bill," Harry said, "Happens to me all the time when I hang around with this one." He threw a thumb in Hermione's direction.

Hermione just rolled her eyes again but decided to bask in the glow of her own cleverness for a moment. That hadn't happened in a long time.

Now, if I could just fix the problems that plague my parents I would be a bloody genius!

She tried to shake those dark thoughts away. It would do her no good to start brooding.

"Speaking of Teddy," Harry turned to Hermione, "Do you think we have time to pop over for a visit before we leave tomorrow?"

Hermione consulted the large, antique clock on the wall of Bill's office. They had been there a little over an hour. She figured it would take several hours to get everything Harry needed even if they hurried.

"I'd say we could go visit Andromeda this evening if you like but we'll need to hustle. Our flight leaves Heathrow at 11:00 a.m. in the morning."

Bill shot Harry a surprised look.

"You're going to fly," he asked quite amused, "on a Muggle airplane?"

Harry just shrugged. Hermione smirked again.

"Ever try apparating with luggage?"

"Ah!" Bill understood at once.

With that he stood and escorted the two back out into Diagon Alley. Harry and Hermione wasted no time in returning to #12 for as soon as they stepped outside the bank they realized Diagon Alley had become thick with witches and wizards and it didn't take long for someone to recognize them. The last thing they wanted was to get mobbed.

-->