Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait by DarkWizardKiller
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait

DarkWizardKiller

Harry Potter and The Gilded Portrait

A/N - Please be advised there is some sexual content in this chapter. If you are opposed to such things you might wish to skip over that part but after all that's why this fic carries the rating it does. There will be more. You have been warned. As always thanks for reading and please review.

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Chapter Ten - The Witching Hour

Hermione stepped into her father's office with all the determination of a young woman on a mission. She flung a hand up, swatting irritably at the light switch on the wall just inside the door. She was still feeling angry and annoyed at Ron's antics. She had decided to read the article that accompanied the ridiculous photo and it hadn't helped.

The thought of him writing a tell-all book with that hag Rita Skeeter made her blood turn to molten lava. He best pray their paths don't cross for a while. She'll make his old slug puking hex look like child's play.

Part of her thought she should have been much more devastated by his antics but the problems with her parent's memories seemed to overshadow everything else. Besides, this wasn't the first time he had done something like this.

What had surprised her more was Ginny. The way she acted at the funeral confused Hermione. It's as if Ginny wanted nothing to do with Harry. She felt bad for him because he really seemed to love the little redhead but apparently it wasn't enough. If that's true Harry was truly alone now.

Well…not exactly. Harry will never be alone if I can help it…

But Hermione was also acutely aware that in the present state of things, she couldn't help Harry much. She couldn't help her parents. She could barely help herself. She couldn't help but feel incensed and betrayed by the Ministry's failure to keep her list safe.

She wanted to scream and rail against those responsible but she realized most of the people involved in her original plans were dead or missing. It wouldn't help anything anyway.

The small office was bathed in the soft white glow of several lamps around the room. She was determined to re-build the missing list even if it took her all night and day. She didn't care. She felt she had done enough damage to her mother and father's lives.

Her fear the list had fallen into the Death Eater's hands made her ill in the extreme but she wanted to believe the security measures she and Professor McGonagall had placed on the document were enough of a deterrent but truthfully she couldn't be sure.

She could no longer be very confident of anything.

She made straight for the large file cabinet that sat in the back corner of the office, waved her wand at the lock securing the files, yanked open the top drawer and began pulling the alphabetically arranged files and placing them in a neat pile on her father's desk.

She produced several sheets of parchment, a few quills and an ink well. She plopped herself into her father's desk chair and bent to work.

This was not new to her. She had done this very thing almost a year ago. She worked as quickly as she could. Her hand flew across the parchment recording each name and address in the file.

There was no need for secrecy or codes this time because she had planned on placing this list into Kingsley Shacklebolt's hands herself. He was aware of what she was doing and why so he was anticipating the information.

Once she was relatively certain the list was complete Kingsley would set the Oblivators and Aurors to work. This was contingent on the ability to find a solution to their memory problems of course. Hermione knew it could take weeks to complete this task but she was absolutely committed to seeing it through even if she had to do it all herself.

Once she finished a stack of files she replaced them back into their respective drawers and pulled a new stack. On her third trip to the file cabinet she slipped the completed files back in the drawer and grabbed a fresh pile.

As she turned to go back to the desk a file slipped from her grasp and fell to the floor, scattering its contents. Hermione's irritation spiked as she slammed the other files on the desk with a bang and stooped to clean up her mess.

I really don't need these careless delays…

She scooped up the records and receipts and slipped them back into the folder but as she was doing so the name on the top of the file made her come to a grinding halt.

I know this name! Where have I seen it before?

She closed her eyes and tried desperately to scour her overly-exhausted mind to place the name on the file. It suddenly hit her…

She looked at the contents of the file again praying she was mistaken but as she read the names and ages of the family within her blood turned to an icy sludge in her veins.

A father, a mother and three children all under the age of ten - two little girls and a boya family of five…OH NO!

It was the exact name and description of one of the many Muggle families the Daily Prophet identified as those mysteriously killed or missing during the war. She knew this could not be a coincidence.

The implications of what she was holding in her hands hit Hermione like a sledge hammer to the temple.

Her legs turned to liquid as the rest of her took on the consistency of semi-congealed bubotuber puss. She felt dizzy and weak.

She realized her worst fear. The Death Eaters or maybe even Voldemort himself had managed to decode her list and used it to systematically execute the people it contained. If they had done it to get at her or her parents, it hardly mattered.

She was also aware if she compared these names in her parent's files to those in the Prophet's obituaries, they would probably match exactly.

I'm responsible for the deaths and disappearances of hundreds of Muggles!

Her stomach clenched like an angry fist. Hermione leaned over just in time to empty its contents into a small waste basket sitting next to her father's desk.

As she tried desperately to get a grip on her heaving insides her emotions overcame her. Once again she found herself lying in the fetal position on the floor unable to get control of any part of her.

With her mind completely paralyzed by the realization of what she had done and her body shaking violently with uncontrollable sobs, she could do nothing more than lay there on the dusty carpet and let the insurmountable guilt crush her for the second time in as many days.

She could feel another piece of her falling off. If this kept up there would be nothing left of her.

"How could you have ever believed you were cleverer than those who were so much older and wiser? You're nothing but a fool, you stupid, arrogant little know-it-all…"

The voice that echoed in and around her complete paralysis was one she remembered well. It was Severus Snape himself. She thought it fitting. Her old Potions Professor had never been impressed by books and cleverness.

As she lay there in the shadowed silence of the office another voice filled her tortured mind. It was much stronger then her own convoluted thoughts.

Remember what you told me Hermione? You cannot blame yourself. You were only trying to protect them. Muggles would have died regardless of any list. I won't allow you to do this to yourself and tell me I can't…

She wasn't certain if the voice in her head was a product of her own imagination this time or not.

Get up! You have work to do…

"I don't want to do this any more," Hermione whispered to the empty room.

So you're just going to give up…That doesn't sound like the Hermione I know…Courage, Granger!

She knew the voice was right. It simply wasn't in her genetic construction to give up. So with a monumental physical effort Hermione heaved herself to a sitting position and leaned against the side of the desk.

She was physically exhausted and drained. Lack of fuel for her body was taking its toll but with the acrid taste of bile now sitting on her tongue, food was the farthest thing from her mind.

Wiping her tears and blubbering nose on the sleeve of her cloak she pushed herself unsteadily to her feet, she mechanically returned to the task at hand.

With several more hours of work she managed to complete the list. Hermione returned all the files to their respective drawers in the file cabinet threw a quick scourgifieing charm at the waste basket and left the office.

As she made her way through the streets of Muggle London where her parent's office resided she could see the gold and dark purple of sunset spreading across the edges of the black background of the encroaching darkness.

A chilly breeze danced around her and helped keep her alert. She was well beyond exhaustion but knew she still had much to do. Once she gave the list to Kingsley she was going to have to return to her parent's house to make it ready for their return…if they could return. She was going to have to return to Hogwarts to scour the library for some shred of information that might help her parents. The fact the Unspeakables had found nothing bothered her greatly.

NO! Hermione chastised herself, I will find a solution. I must!

When they had moved Daphne and Edward to Australia, the Ministry shuttered the house. They had also removed anything that was considered perishable and donated it to a near-by Muggle food bank for the poor. They had carefully recorded every detail as they shut the house and office down.

It was now up to Hermione to see that all the details were put back in place. She felt it even more significant now that her mother and father's memories were damaged that everything was put back precisely the way it had been. She was also aware she couldn't keep on going in her present state but the voice that pulled her out of her self-pity in the office spurred her forward.

You are the cleverest witch of your age Hermione! If anyone can fix this…it's you!

But for the first time in her memory the feelings of inadequacy and helplessness hovered like dark shadows just on the periphery of her consciousness. They were concepts as foreign to her sensibilities as not having the correct answer on a test or not being able to find a solution in one of her many books. Fear seemed to be her constant companion now.

She made for the Ministry knowing her parents were still undergoing the C.T. Scan treatment. She determined Kingsley should be there.

After gaining entrance through the red phone box she made her way to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. The receptionist told her Kingsley was in the Hit Wizard office so she hurried on her way.

She found Kingsley in the midst of a group of Aurors repairing the rather extensive damage and sifting through reams of parchments and documents that were piled everywhere.

Kingsley turned and spotted her as she approached. He offered her a sad smile.

"Ms. Granger," he said looking a bit surprised at seeing her there so soon.

Hermione held out the list, "Here's the new list Mr. Shacklebolt," she said but then her face turned grim, "There's something you need to know..."

He looked down at her with concern.

"What is it Ms. Granger?"

"I'm almost certain if you compare some of the names on this list to the list of Muggles murdered or missing at the hands of the Death Eaters you'll discover, as I did, they are one in the same. I think they were able to break the code and use it to systemically eliminate them," Hermione was beginning to feel sick again, "I'm sorry Mr. Shacklebolt. It's my fault."

Kingsley looked at her shocked for a moment but then realized what she was saying. He knew all too well how the Death Eaters had worked their evil. He was well aware how Voldemort had used doubt and fear and mistrust to get the upper hand in his attempts to gain power. He knew at once the existence of a list of names made little difference and the outcome would have been much the same either way. Muggles would have still died regardless.

"Ms. Granger," he said calmly, seeing the fear and dread in her eyes, "I am absolutely certain you are intelligent enough to know that irregardless of the existence of this list it made little difference in the outcome. You must not blame yourself…"

Hermione made to protest but Kingsley laid his large hand gently on her shoulder.

"I think your energy would be much more wisely spent on caring for your mother and father at this point wouldn't you agree?"

She could only nod. Her throat had seemed to seize up with guilt. She wanted to believe he was right but she could not seem to shake the knowledge she had still been somehow responsible.

"Your parents," Kingsley went on, "are scheduled to return to St. Mungo's in the morning at approximately 9:00 a.m. You will want to be there I'm sure but I highly recommend you get some rest between now and then young lady. You look strained to the limit."

Again Hermione only nodded. He was right but the thought of sleeping or eating for that matter felt like an utter waste of time right now. She wanted to find an answer. She was determined to find it…even if it killed her.

As she made her way out of the Ministry she remembered the service for Fred at the Burrow at midnight. She knew trying to start researching tonight would be pointless. She was exhausted so she decided to return to her parents, get some rest if she could and try to make a plan…

---@>---

Ron Weasley stood near the rear entrance to the Leaky Cauldron in turmoil plagued by anxiety and a touch of guilt. The lure of Cassandra's owl was just too great.

He had snuck out of his flat while George and the others were still busy with the shop and apparated just outside Dervish and Bangs. He was still a bit shaky when it came to aparating and with his nerves so jumbled he managed to land in a refuse bin near the rear of the shop.

I'm really going to have to work on that whole `destination' thing!

Once he had extricated himself from the bin he scurried as quickly and unobtrusively as he could toward the wizard pub with as little attention as he could manage. That moment he really appreciated the usefulness of Harry's invisibility cloak but the use of a hooded jumper at least helped hide his flaming red hair.

As he was about to step into the alley behind the Leaky Cauldron he felt a large, hard hand fall on his shoulder.

"Hold on there, you," Ron turned to stare at a rather tall man with a serious look on his face. Ron noticed the Auror's tunic at once and turned to stone with dread, "What's the meaning of skulking about…," the Auror took in Ron's appearance then opened his eyes a bit wider with recognition, "You're one of new Minister's brood aren't you, the one that's been in the Prophet the last few days?"

"Erm…" Ron's brain seemed to jamb.

"What's with the cloak and dagger twaddle?" The Auror asked but then something seemed to dawn on him and the man's face broke out in a knowing grin, "Trying not to draw any attention to yourself, aren't you? Can't say I blame you but if you're trying to be less conspicuous you might want to stay away from places like this," the man jabbed his wand toward the pub.

Ron thought quickly. He remembered what it was like when they had been captured by the Snatchers and how quickly Hermione came up with her idea to protect Harry and his story about being Stan Shunpike. A thought occurred to him immediately.

"Just going in for a spot of dinner that's all," Ron lied, "Really hungry, you know?" He patted his stomach.

The Auror seemed satisfied with that and let Ron continue on his way. He hastily stole into the rear entrance of the Leaky Cauldron and immediately saw the place was packed as usual.

The pub was filled with singing, cheering and raucous laughter. As Ron made his way around the outer edges of the room he finally spotted Cassandra's curly blond head at the far end of the bar. She was sitting talking to several older wizards and they all seemed to be standing very close to her. One of the blokes reached up and tweaked her cute little nose and she giggled madly looking coy in response.

Something raged inside Ron's chest. He felt his face grow hot suddenly as he made his way over to her. But when Cassandra caught sight of him moving through the crowd she squealed his name with delight throwing herself off the stool and pushed her way through the crowd toward him.

When she got close enough she threw her arms around his neck and snogged him madly right in the middle of the bar.

"Oh Ronny," Cassie gushed, "I've missed you so much!"

"Cassandra," Ron replied incredulously, "It's been less then a day!"

She shrugged her shoulders and kissed him again.

When she finally let him come up for air he glanced over to where she had been sitting. The three blokes she left behind looked quite disappointed as they watched her snog Ron. That made the tightness in his chest completely disappear.

Cassandra giggled madly as she towed Ron by the hand toward the bar. She wedged herself between a very tall hag on one side and a small group of Goblins on the other. The Goblin nearest to them gave them a distrustful snarl at being interrupted. Ron gave the grotesque looking creature an apologetic smile.

"Oy Tom?" Cassandra yelled smacking the bar with her hand.

The bent old barkeep came over and offered her what could only be described as a knowing grin. "Yes my dear what can I do for you?"

"Bottle of firewhiskey and two glasses please," Cassie replied smiling, "Is it alright if I take them up?"

"Certainly my dear," Tom croaked as he handed the bottle and glasses over, "Want me to put this on the room tab then?"

"Sure," Cassandra replied.

Tom the barkeep eyed Ron with great interest. He was certain the old man recognized him but his leering gaze returned to Cassandra landing in the vicinity of her breasts.

"Captured you a trophy tonight egh love?" Tom laughed.

"Tom!" Cassie said with surprise but then blushed deep red, "Behave yourself you old sot."

With that Cassandra turned away from the bar. She handed the glasses to Ron then, grabbing his other hand, towed him toward the stairs that went up to the rooms above the pub. As they moved away from the noise Ron's brain began to process what was going on. Cassandra must have let a room here and she was taking him up to it!

His nerves began to show just how uncertain he was about all this but his curiosity was much stronger. He managed to propel himself forward none the less.

As they made the landing on the second floor he needed to do something to break the knots of tension and apprehension roiling in his stomach.

"Where's Megan?" He asked in an almost breathless voice.

Cassandra looked back at him over her shoulder smiling. There was a very strange look in her eyes, one that Ron could not identify.

"Oh she's with some…erm friends. She'll probably be out all night if I know her."

When they reached the room Cassie turned and flung the hand carrying the bottle of firewhiskey over Ron's shoulder and kissed him again while her other hand fumbled with the key and door latch.

When the door finally opened she tugged Ron through then with her foot she pushed the door closed. She let go of Ron long enough to set the bolt on the door then turned back to him with a wicked smile.

"You don't mind spending some time alone with me do you Ron?" She asked coyly as she placed the bottle on a small table by the door.

"N…no, of course not Cassandra," Ron said a bit nervously as he sat the glasses down next to the bottle. Cassandra pulled the cork and tipped some of the smoking brew into both glasses. She picked them up and handed one to Ron.

They both blew out the tiny blue flames dancing around the tops of their glasses looking into one-another's eyes. Cassandra put her glass to her plump red lips and tipped the entire contents of the glass in her mouth and swallowed without a wince. Ron smiled and did likewise.

Just as it had on previous occasions the whiskey burned all the way to his stomach and seemed to instantly take the edge off his nerves.

Cassandra's smile was devious and dark as she advanced toward Ron. She wrapped her arms around him, pressing her lithe body into his as she kissed him again deeply.

The effects of the whiskey and Cassandra's intense kiss made beads of sweat form at his hairline as well as the back of his neck and across the bridge of his nose. He could feel his body reacting like it had never reacted before. Lavender Brown's kisses never made him feel like that.

Cassandra could feel Ron's reaction to her kiss so she responded by pressing her thigh tightly between his legs and swirling her tongue with his. As soon as her tongue touched his she felt the bulge in his trousers twitch and swell.

Blokes are so easy to turn on…

The next thing Ron realized Cassie had release him, took a step back and began unbuttoning her blouse. Their eyes were locked together as she seductively disrobed right there in front of him.

Ron felt his own hands begin working on his clothes as if they had minds of their own while he watched Cassandra's beautiful body come into view. First were her perfect breasts once she removed a black lacy bra. Ron felt himself react again to her naked upper body. The swelling in his groin was becoming almost painful.

After she had let her blue jeans drop to the floor she stepped out of them and stood in front of him in nothing but very tiny black lacy knickers. The thin straps rode high on her slender hips.

She moved forward and grabbed the front of Ron's now tented trousers smiling as she deftly unbuttoned them. He was still fighting with his shirt that seemed to want to tangle his arms awkwardly as he tried to extricate himself from the garment.

Before he could get the shirt pulled off over his head he stopped as he felt his trousers and boxers fall to his ankles. He felt a warm hand wrap around his throbbing shaft and he could hear Cassandra gasp softly.

"Oh Ronny," she whispered as his head was still comically stuck in his shirt obscuring his view, "you are a very big boy aren't you." Cassandra's hand squeezed tightly around him making him shudder and tingle all over. He let out a groan and closed his eyes.

With monumental effort he jerked the shirt free and flung it off behind him. He looked down to see Cassandra looking at his manhood smiling broadly. She had placed her other hand on him now and was stroking his shaft in her warm tight grip.

"B…bloody hell," Ron muttered.

Cassie looked up into his wide eyes and chuckled.

"You've never been with a girl before like this have you Ronny?"

All Ron could do was shake his head. With that Cassandra released his captured shaft and pressed her now almost naked body into his again letting his shaft press against her flat belly as she kissed him again.

"Well," she whispered into his lips, "why don't we take it slow. Being new at this and all I'm sure you won't last long but that's alright…we have all night."

As Ron's overheating brain began to try and process everything that was going on a whisper of a thought worked its way to the front of his mind. There was something he had to do tonight. He couldn't quite remember what it was as Cassandra pulled him toward the bed.

With both hand on his upper arms she turned him around and sat him down on the edge of the bed. Ron kicked his trousers and boxers free of his feet as he sat watching Cassandra slither out of her tiny knickers. She tossed them over her shoulder with a smile then moved forward forcing Ron's legs apart so she could press herself into him again.

Ron couldn't seem to take his eyes of the soft, blond triangle of fir that resided between her slender thighs. He slid his arms around her lower back as she wrapped hers around his neck guiding his mouth to one of her hardening nipples.

Ron seemed to know what she wanted as he took the dark nub of flesh into his eager mouth and began to suckle and swirl his tongue over it. The moans and sounds of pleasure Cassandra made went right to Ron's groin as he pulsed and throbbed.

She reached down between them and wrapped her hand tightly around his shaft as she had before. It made Ron a bit lightheaded as her hand moved up and down his rigid length. He could only offer a muffled moan with a mouth full of her other breast.

His body jerked as her finger gently but firmly flicked the underside of the tip of his shaft. He thought his head would explode right then and there.

Cassie chuckled as she moved back from him slightly pulling her breast from his hungry mouth with a subtle pop. She giggled madly at the sound. She looked at Ron with a devious smile as she went to her knees in front of him.

With a hand she pushed his upper body back a bit and he fell back on his elbows as her other hand curled around his rock hard shaft once again.

"This will make you feel really good Ronny," Cassie gave him her smoky little grin, "Don't hold back ok? Just let the sensations take you and let yourself go. You'll love it I promise."

Again Ron could only nod in response. The next thing he knew Cassie moved forward between his legs and took his manhood into her warm wet mouth and began sucking and licking him until he thought he was going to burst into flames.

He watched as his shaft would disappear into her mouth then she would pull it back out as her hand would return to squeeze and stroke him again and again. He could barely breathe as the tingling sensations coursed through him. His body shuddered and lurched of its own accord until his groin seemed to tighten almost painfully. He could feel his shaft swell even harder as his stomach churned with butterflies.

Cassie could tell he was close so she slowed her deep plunges and began licking and sucking around the tip.

It only took a few minutes and Ron grunted, gasping for breath. He exploded into Cassie's warm mouth as she sucked and swallowed him completely dry.

As the intense physical sensations began to subside Ron tried to get control of his breathing. He was dizzy and flushed and felt hot all over.

Cassie got to her feet and climbed on the bed right over the top of Ron's convulsing body, pushing him to lie down. She straddled him as she kissed him on the mouth and all over his blushing face.

She took both his hands in hers and guided them to her ample breasts as Ron instantly began to squeeze and kneed those firm mounds of flesh in his eager hands. He could feel her hard nipples pressing into his sweating palms.

Cassie moved her hips sliding her hot moist valley over Ron's still quivering groin. He couldn't help but feel her heat scorching him. He felt himself lurch as the blood rushed from his head once again to settle between his legs.

She moaned as she felt Ron's shaft swell again grinding her hips down hard on him. Before he knew it Cassie had reached down between them again and took him into her squeezing fist. His body reacted to her insistent touch instantly and he rewarded her with a blissful groan.

Cassandra giggled again as she raised her body slightly off the bed and guided his shaft between her damp thighs. As she lowered herself back down on his lap Ron felt himself sheathed tightly within her hot, wet channel. He bit his tongue hard not to scream from the sheer delight of the sensations coursing through his loins.

Ron knew the basic physical mechanics of sex with a girl. Blokes talked after all but none of those conversations or boastings could have ever prepared him for this!

The pure delightful physical sensations exploding through him burned out every preconception he had about sex with a girl. Cassie rode him up and down with her head thrown back and her mouth open in a silent scream. Ron unconsciously grabbed her hips and began thrusting up into her delicious bum harder and faster as if by instinct.

After a few moments Cassie let out a long, wailing moan as her whole body shuddered. Ron could feel his own intensity rising beyond his ability to control himself. He felt steaming hot fluid flood his groin soaking him. He could hold on no longer as he-himself shuddered and let himself go in a completely blissful release of his own. Convulsions racked his body as he felt himself gush deep inside her.

After what seemed like long minutes of drawn out climax Cassandra collapsed on top of Ron in a boneless heap. Her hot, sweaty body pressed Ron deeper into the mattress below him. She laid her head next to his kissing his ear and whispering to him as he lie there completely paralyzed with the sensations of overwhelming pleasure.

"Oh Ron," she panted, "That was magnificent! It's been ages since I've had such a strong orgasm."

If he had a bit more experience at that sort of thing he would have picked up on the surprise in her voice but he didn't.

Ron felt himself flushing with her praise. He felt his confidence rise even though his erection dwindled still deep within Cassie's incredible body.

After a bit she rolled to his side smiling, "Don't know about you love but I could do with another drink."

With that she slid off the bed and made her way over to the bottle and poured herself about half a glass. Ron couldn't take his eyes off her amazing naked body…a body he had just filled with his own seed. The thought of that made his groin clench again.

Cassandra looked at Ron seductively over her shoulder, "What about you?" She held up her glass.

"Sure," he responded, "Why not!" He leapt off the bed and made his way toward her.

They spent several more hours making intense love and drinking the strong whiskey as time passed completely without notice.

Before Ron knew it he was laying on the bed with Cassandra curled up next to him, her head on his chest. She was breathing heavy with inebriated sleep. Half drunk, sweaty and exhausted himself he heard the chime of a small clock on the mantle over the fireplace. He listened sleepily as the tiny gong sounded…eight - nine - ten - eleven - twelve…

Midnight…Merlin's beard we've been making love for…

It was in that instant he suddenly remembered what he was supposed to be doing tonight…

…OH - NO!!!

---@>---

Harry arrived at the Burrow at exactly half-past eleven. As he made his way from the crossroads that went in several different directions he could feel himself slipping into wards he knew were in place from the Aurors.

As he made his way out of the small forest that surrounded the Weasley home…or what was left of it, he could see the utter destruction the fire had caused.

After an Auror confirmed his identity he was allowed to pass into the clearing where he could see things much better in the bright moonlight.

The only thing left of the house was a section of the first and second floor. The piles of charred debris must have been hauled away but the scorched earth around the little house was evidence of its complete destruction.

Harry's temper flared at the sight of it.

This is my fault. If it had not taken me so bloody long to figure out what Dumbledore was trying to teach me none of this would have happened.

He knew everyone would disagree with his assessment but it didn't make him feel any better. To him age and lack of experience was no excuse for being slow and stupid.

As he continued to look around he noticed Mr. Weasley's work shop and the chicken coup had survived the attack. He could hear several people milling about inside his tinker's shop. Other groups were gathered here and there as he made his way to the far side of the house to where he knew the old garden to be.

It was in the garden where most all the Weasley's were gathered. The same type venue was set up as it was for Colin Creevey's service with the same white chairs, a similar looking casket set on a low dais covered in bright flowers. A beaming photo of Fred sat in the center of the arrangement. His picture, unlike Colin's was making ogling faces and muggings at whoever happened to be close enough.

Harry almost burst out laughing at the sight of Fred's image sticking his finger in his nose and crossing his eyes at his old Aunt Muriel as she tottered by grousing about "catching her death in this cold, damp night air," and "why they couldn't have a service during the day like sensible wizards. You'd think the whole lot of them bloody vampires or something…"

As most of the Weasley's greeted Harry warmly as he came closer he couldn't help but look around for Ginny, Ron and Hermione. He spotted Ginny's beautiful long red hair standing in a small group of their Hogwarts friends but he could not find the other two.

"We're so glad you're here Harry," Molly came up and crushed Harry in a tight embrace.

"Wouldn't have missed it for anything Mrs. Weasley," Harry replied a bit sadly.

"What have you been up to these past few days," Charlie asked him.

"Not much," Harry said darkly, "Kind of hard to go anywhere just now."

"I've heard Kingsley has recruited you for his new Aurors training program," Percy said, "You thinking about taking the appointment?"

Harry just shrugged his shoulders. The truth was he had not thought much more about it.

"I'd say he's had about enough of all that haven't you Harry?" The soft feminine voice came from behind him. He knew who it was immediately. He turned to see Ginny's lovely features coming toward him with many of his old friends and D.A. members in tow.

He noticed right away something very different about Ginny from the moment his eyes landed on her but he said nothing as he accepted congratulations and greetings from all his friends. He wanted to take her aside and ask her what was going on but refrained when he heard Mr. Weasley coming toward them all with a few of his Ministry people, Headmistress McGonagall, Kingsley Shacklebolt and many of the other elders he knew.

They all greeted him warmly as well. As he stood chatting everyone up as best he could he looked toward the other end of the garden and saw Hermione coming out of the shadows of the destroyed house.

She was instantly swallowed up in the same fashion he had been so he didn't get much of a chance to speak to her. He did, however notice she still looked thin and strained but the dark circles under her eyes seemed less severe then they had before.

He could tell her smile was strained and she was forcing herself to relax and converse with those around her. No-one else seemed to pick up on her condition except McGonagall and Kingsley who both engaged her in quiet conversation away from everyone else. Harry thought that was rather odd but let it drop.

He was beginning to wonder if Ron was going to be another no-show like he had been for the Lupin/Tonks service when he heard Mr. Weasley having what could only be described as a heated conversation with George and Lee Jordan.

Harry could only hear snippets of the conversation as he tried to make his way to where Hermione was in conversation with Bill, Fleur and Andromeda Tonks. He heard Mr. Weasley growl…

"…supposed to be looking after him!"

…and part of George's reply…

"…we got to the flats after closing up shop he was gone dad! We don't know where he's gone…"

When Harry reached Hermione she gave him her best, sweet apologetic smile. She placed her hand gently on his arm and leaned close.

"I'm really sorry for acting the way I did…" She whispered.

Harry cut her off.

"There's no need to apologize Hermione. I know you're under a lot of stress. I just wish you would trust me enough to tell me what's going on with you."

Harry was looking at her with an intense gaze. He saw her take a deep breath but before she could answer Minister Weasley announced the commencement of the service. The entire crowd moved to take seats.

Harry followed Hermione but watched as Ginny sat in the first row next to her mother and with the rest of the Weasley clan…all except for Ron.

As they settled into their seat Hermione leaned close to him again, this time her shoulder pressing into his. She did this on purpose because she had noticed Ginny stealing a backward glance at Harry over her shoulder. She wanted to give the torrid little snot something to think about. Hermione saw Ginny's eyebrows pinch together before she turned back around shifting uncomfortably in her seat.

Hermione also noticed Dean Thomas watching Ginny from the far end of the second row. She smiled to herself.

"Where is Ron do you think?"

Harry shook his head, "No idea."

As the service began Minister Weasley got up and went to the podium. He stood silent for a moment looking out over the congregation then took a deep breath.

"Welcome everyone and thank you for coming tonight. It is no easy task to lay one's child to rest however I must say my son George said it best when he helped us to understand Fred's loss was not…in vein. He paid the ultimate price to help protect us all and he did so with honor, courage and dignity. So we are gathered here tonight at the Witching Hour to say goodbye to that brave and kind young man…"

Arthur paused for a moment to collect himself.

"My son…"

He paused again. Everyone could see him fighting the lump that was stuck in his throat. Tears rolled off his cheeks as he looked around at them all.

"The rest of the family decided each of us would come up and recall one happy memory of Fred and I for one think it a smashing idea. So if you'll bear with me I will share with you one of my fondest memories of Fred…"

After Minister Weasley was finished one by one the rest of the Weasley family came up to the podium and told their memories of Fred's exploits and antics. They all laughed and cried as the loving and heart-felt stories were shared.

George was the last to take the podium and the congregation fell silent in anticipation of what he would share. George was, after all, the other half of Fred. He stepped up behind the podium wiping tears from his eyes. He smiled as best he could out over the crowd.

"Oh my," George sighed, "Where do I begin…"

Before he could say another word they all heard the unmistakable crack of apparition then a loud crashing sound like the snapping of limbs off of trees mixed with shouted oaths from behind the podium and casket.

Harry and Hermione, as well as most of the others including all the Aurors in attendance for security rushed forward with wands ready.

Harry's chest tightened with dread as he pushed himself through the milling throng toward the disturbance just in time to see Ron Weasley at the base of a thick fir tree struggling to get to his feet.

Everyone who reached the scene the same time he did had the exact same reaction. They all stood there struck dumb with their mouths hanging open.

It was apparent Ron had tried to apparate to the service but the wards had bounced him out to the edge of the garden space. He had crashed head long into the top of the tree and fell all the way to the ground where he landed painfully in a pile of broken tree limbs and a tangle of arms and legs.

As Ron was finally able to stand he staggered unsteadily as he peered around him with a wild look in his eyes. Pine bows were stuck to him everywhere and a few needles were stuck to his forehead and in his mussed hair.

"Bloody he…" He stopped as he saw more than a dozen surprised sets of eyes gaping at him. Then a rather goofy smile spread across his dazed face as he raised his hand and gave them all a little wave, "'ello everyone! (hic) Lovely evening…" With that his eyes rolled up into the back of his head and he passed out falling straight backwards into the pile of debris.

Harry could tell right away Ron was drunk out of his mind.

"Let me through…please…what's going on…"

It was Molly Weasley's voice pushing through the crowd now gathered around the edge of the wood.

Oh boy! Ronald Weasley is - a - dead man!

Both Harry and Hermione took a reflexive step backwards when Mrs. Weasley finally came to the front of the queue. It took her a moment to take in the scene before her but when it finally registered her face turned a horrid shade of dark purple.

Molly Weasley was so angry she couldn't speak…Harry thought ashamedly it had to be a first for her.

Arthur appeared next to Charlie whispering orders. He told him, Bill and a few of the Aurors to carry Ron to the tinker's shed at once.

When Charlie bent over the unconscious form of his youngest brother Ron belched loudly.

"Great Merlin's ghost," Charlie reared back fanning his nose, "He's dead pissed dad!" Charlie quickly put his hand over his mouth realizing he had said that out loud.

Now Arthur's face turned a very similar shade of purple as he stood there gritting his teeth and clenching his fists.

"Get him to the shed NOW!" Arthur spit, then turned and stomped off toward the shed himself.

Harry caught Hermione's expression with a glance. He could see the utter sorrow and disappointment in her eyes. As they watched Charlie, Bill and the others hoist Ron's limp carcass in an abbreviated version of the fireman's carry, each holding and arm or leg, they moved off toward the shed with Ron's bum bouncing painfully off the ground as they walked.

"Oy Cassandra, there's a good girl," Ron mumbled then fell silent, eyes still closed

The others in the congregation moved off murmuring and whispering among themselves. Harry saw Hermione's face go dark folding her arms tightly under her breasts as she moved back toward the seats.

When everyone settled in their places once again George took to the podium once again and went on with his tribute to his brother.

Harry continued to glance at Hermione sitting quite rigid now next to him.

"You ok?" he whispered.

She merely nodded but her jaw was set tight.

A moment later they both noticed Ron, being lead by a flustered Arthur and a livid Molly coming from the shop. Arthur unceremoniously dumped the youngest Weasley son in an empty chair at the back row with whispered instructions not to move a finger.

Harry saw Hermione's head sag as she put her face in her hands. He could do nothing more than slip his arm around her shoulders and give her a gentle pat. He felt clumsy and stupid. Telling her things were going to be alright sounded empty and hollow.

He looked over his own shoulder and glared at Ron sitting there glumly. He felt a sudden surge of anger at his best mate not understanding why Ron was acting like a blithering moron.

Ron sat there in the chair trying not to think of anything. His head pounded with the effects of the firewhiskey, crashing through a tree and the nasty tongue lashing he had just received from his mother and father.

Everyone seemed to be angry with him now. Cassandra was mad because he had left so abruptly without really explaining. His family all wanted to kill him and as he sat there he saw Harry put his arm around Hermione's shoulders and give him a very exasperated look.

Is she crying…over me? Oh bugger! Well…you've certainly made a gob of things this time Weasley!

As he sat there looking at all the dark faces glaring at him he decided he didn't really care. He looked at the wreckage that used to be the only home he'd ever known. He stared at the shiny metal box the body of his dead brother lay in and it only made him angry. He looked at Harry sitting next to Hermione. They always seemed to be together. He wasn't sitting with Ginny or his family…but Hermione.

Something finally occurred to Ron cutting sharply through his whiskey addled brain watching his two best friends.

This is the way things were supposed to be. Now that Ginny had decided she didn't need or want Harry…who does the bloke have left? Who else knows him better than Hermione besides me? Who else does he have to turn to? - No one…

With those thoughts swirling in his throbbing head he looked around at what was left of the Burrow and came to the conclusion that with his father now firmly ensconced in the Minister for Magic's position with his mother and younger sister residing in the posh digs of the Minister's mansion in London and everyone else out on their own…this place was no longer his home. It was a tomb - a place to bury the dead and a lifetime worth of memories.

He suddenly came to the conclusion he no longer wanted to be here. So with an effort to make his sore muscles work he got unsteadily to his feet. With concentration he made his way down the isle between the rows of white chairs to the front of the crowd gathered to say goodbye to his late brother Fred.

Ron didn't hear George fall silent, nor did he feel the many sets of eyes boring holes in the back of his head as he staggered his way toward the casket.

When he reached it he laid his hand on the cold surface and muttered, "Goodbye old Fred. Say hello to everyone for me."

With that he stumbled his way around to the back side of the burial site and made his way toward the tree he crashed in.

He didn't see two people standing up silently watching this take place. One was his mother, red faced and livid with anger and on the verge of flying to pieces - the other, a formerly bushy-haired girl in tears wringing her hands with worry and fear.

As Ron made the edge of the forest only one thought kept repeating itself in his mind…

Destination, Determination and Deliberation!

A ripple of mumbles and murmuring swept through the crowd as Arthur tried desperately to pull Molly back to her seat. Hermione collapsed boneless back into hers when they heard the sound of someone apparating. Only old Aunt Muriel sat cackling like a hen. She thought it one of the funniest things she had ever seen.

When George was finally able to conclude his tribute he waved his wand and all manner of fireworks went off behind him. A shower of gold sparks exploded over their heads that spelled out Fred's name.

With that most of the congregation began making their way to the exit. Hermione almost jumped to her feet and set off toward the exit herself.

Harry was just able to catch up to her as she darted around Hagrid's large frame.

"Hermione wait!" Harry called, "Where are you going?"

Hermione stopped but did not turn around. Harry knew she was in tears.

"I'm going home Harry," she said gruffly, "I have things I must do. I'll see you later."

Harry watched her loose herself in the small crowd of people queuing up to apparate out of Ottery St. Catchpole.

When he turned he saw Ginny coming toward him. Any other time that would have been a welcome sight but at the moment he wasn't certain of anything. Nothing seemed to be going the way he had hoped now that Voldemort and the constant threat of death was gone.

"Hi Harry," Ginny said as she reached him. The look on her face was unreadable. "Think we can talk?"

"What's the deal with Ron?" He blurted out. He had not planned on asking that but his irritation spiked at the memory of Hermione's face when Ron had made his exit.

Ginny just shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know what's gotten into him. All I know is being near mum and dad just now isn't a safe place to be."

He couldn't believe how badly all that Golden Trio business was going to his head. It was as if Ron simply didn't care about anyone or anything but himself any longer.

She led him by the hand away from the disbursing crowd. They walked along the fence that separated the garden from a near-by pasture in silence for a while until Ginny finally turned and stopped in front of him.

"I suppose you're wondering why I haven't come around since the night of the final battle."

"The thought had crossed my mind but I figured you've been busy." Harry said. That sounded so lame to him but he really didn't know what else to say.

Ginny sighed deeply and looked down at her hands for a moment then continued. She suddenly seemed quite nervous.

"The truth is…things have changed Harry."

She looked at him to gauge his reaction to that statement. Harry kept his features as neutral as possible but inside his guts were twisting into uncomfortable knots.

"There's no other way I know how to say what I have to so please try to understand. This isn't easy for me."

He nodded. He wasn't sure he could trust his voice at that moment.

"I suppose it all started the day of Dumbledore's funeral. When you sat there and told me that we couldn't be together because it wasn't safe. I felt so…" Ginny felt herself loosing control a bit, "so…frustrated and angry…"

That revelation surprised Harry. He was sure she understood. He said nothing.

"I wanted to be with you so badly. I knew you would go off chasing Death Eaters and Voldemort and get caught up in that stupid prophecy. I wanted to help you and fight side by side with you. But what you said to me at the funeral made me feel like I was still just a silly little girl with a stupid crush on The Chosen One."

"It made all those things you said to us in the D.A. meetings seem like empty words. I thought the whole reason we were learning to defend ourselves was to be able to face the threat of Voldemort together…but you chose to leave me behind."

Harry was beginning to feel ill. He couldn't believe what she was saying. He wondered how she could have misunderstood his intentions so badly. He kept silent and listened.

"I tried to convince myself you were really protecting me but when I discovered you let Hermione join you I was completely insensed. I know why she was with you…cleverest witch of her age and all but it didn't make it any easier to take. I was the one who cared for you and yes…I think I may have even been in love with you so it was devastating to know she was allowed and I wasn't."

"At the wedding, you didn't even stay to see if I was all right or anything. You just let Hermione grab you and dash off to who knew where."

"Call me a jealous, selfish little tart if you like but it was how I felt at the time. I felt abandoned Harry."

She paused for a moment. Harry was frozen in place. He had lost all feeling from the neck down.

Merlin…How did everthing go so wrong?

"Dean, on the other hand, stayed by my side the whole time. Even after I had tossed him over to be with you he never gave up on me. He was kind and understanding. It was much more than I deserved."

"I wanted to be with you so badly I completely disregarded Dean all together. That was wrong of me."

"I remember the Yule Ball, Harry. Do you remember? I wanted you to ask me to go with you but all you could think about was Cho bloody Chang! I remember sitting in our dorm room listening to Hermione wonder why neither you nor Ron had asked her. That was before Victor Krum, of course. She couldn't believe Victor had asked her. She almost said no. Can you believe her?"

For a moment Harry found himself back at Hogwarts during the whole Tri-Wizard fiasco. Instead of standing there wondering why he was loosing the one girl he thought he truly cared for more than any other, he was wondering why he hadn't asked Hermione to the ball. No-one knew him better than she did. Even though they were nothing more than close friends, he would have felt emensly more comfortable with her than with anyone else…even Cho. Was it because of Ron? He couldn't recall why.

"So…I guess what I'm trying to tell you is Dean and I have, well kind of re-connected unexpectedly. I don't want to hurt you Harry and I still care for you very much but I'm not going to lie to you and pretend."

She looked at him, blushing.

"Are you angry with me Harry?"

He honestly searched inside himself for how he felt about what she had said. Besides his guts twisting and churning he didn't think he felt angry. It was more like…disappointment.

"No Ginny," he said softly, "Why would I be angry with you for telling me the truth?"

"You hate me then," Ginny whispered, her face wrinkled as if she was going to cry, "I suppose I deserve it."

"I don't hate you either," Harry added, "I'm not sure what I really feel at the moment. I just wish you would have told me these things when they first started to bother you, that's all."

"I was frightened," she sniffed, "I know I didn't handle things very well and I'm sorry," Ginny burst into tears as she fell into his arms, "I'm really really sorry Harry."

The memory of his last birthday flooded his mind. It was the last time he had held Ginny in his arms. She had just about kissed him into unconsciousness with her soft, tender lips. He remembered how her warm body felt pressed into his, how her hair smelled so nice, how she had given him that wonderful blazing look of hers that held so much promise of what the future might have held.

Now, as he stood there holding her she felt like a complete stranger sobbing softly into his shoulder, her body rigid.

He felt the weight of depression land on him like a rampaging troll.

Harry had the sudden desperate desire to be somewhere else. He wasn't exactly sure why but he no longer wanted to be among the Weasley's for the first itme since he had met them.

It wasn't just because of Ginny, it was multitude of reasons. The day had been filled with the constant reminder of loss and mourning and Harry had reached his limit.

He gently pushed her away from him and held her at arm's length. Looking at her cheeks glistening with tears he couldn't seem to muster any pitty or remorse. He just felt…empty.

He was starting to understand that look in Hermione's eyes as he realized he needed to find her. Harry looked down at Ginny.

"I appreciate you being honest with me Ginny but I've got to go."

He turned away from her and without looking back he made his way to find Headmistress McGonagall. She would have the information he needed.

When he finally spotted her she was in a tight group of witches and wizards that appeared to be in a quiet but serious discussion but at the moment Harry didn't care about interupting. He strode forward with purpose and tapped her lightly on her shoulder. The Headmistress turned and looked at him with surprise.

"Professor," Harry said, glancing at the others, "I'm sorry for interupting but may I have a word with you…in private."

McGonagall's eyebrows dissapeared but she nodded at the others, "If you'll excuse me for a moment."

Minister Weasley, along with Kingsley Shacklebolt and a few others he did not recognize all nodded and went back to their conversation as McGonagall stepped away with Harry toward the remnants of the Weasley home.

"What may I do for you Mr. Potter?" McGonagall asked.

"I was wondering if you knew what was going on with Hermione. She's not acting herself at all and she seems almost ill. I'm really worried about her."

McGonagall looked at Harry for a moment but then her face hardened slightly.

"If she has not confided in you what she is going through at the moment then I can only assume she has her reasons Mr. Potter. I realize this is most likely an unsatisfactory response to your inquiry but I feel it is my duty to protect her privacy in this matter. You understand of course."

He did…but then again he didn't. Hermione was his best friend.

"Well," Harry asked, "can you at least tell me where her parent's house is? I've never been there so I don't know where it's located. She said she was going back there and I just don't think she needs to be alone right now."

McGonagall looked at him with lips pursed. She didn't look as if she was going to respond. Harry was getting desperate.

"Please," he pleaded.

Something in the old Transfiguration Professor's eyes softened as she gazed at Harry intently.

She took a deep breath and nodded.

"The house is in Camden, just off Primrose Hill. Number 410 Chalot Square. Do you know the area?"

Harry shook his head, "No but I'll find it. Thanks Professor."

Harry turned to go but McGonagall stopped him with a hand on his arm.

"I must warn you Mr. Potter. Proceed with caution. There's no telling what kind of wards, spells and traps she's placed on her residence. She's been experimenting with that sort of thing for years."

Harry grinned at her and nodded.

Sounds just like her!

A moment later, gaining the outside edge of the wards he was off to London.

-->