Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait by DarkWizardKiller
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait

DarkWizardKiller

Harry Potter and The Gilded Portrait

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Chapter Eleven - Interview

Zalina Sheryl Star descended the stairs from her room above the pub at the Leaky Cauldron dressed in the most conservative clothes she could find. In fact, she thought she pulled off the whole stuffy school matron look fairly well.

In true form Zalina Star was a tall, slender olive-skinned, raven haired Goddess by most Muggle and Wizard standards. Her beautiful youthful face and electric blue eyes could captivate any man without the need for magic and her habit of wearing those thin, tight gowns with the plunging neck line to accentuate here full, firm breasts and slit up to her firm thighs to show her long perfect legs could stop any man in his tracks.

This was, after all, an interview.

Not just any interview…but an interview with the stodgy and prim Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

She had twisted her long shiny black mane into a tight bun at the back of her head and applied a slight glamour to dampen her undeniable beauty. The application of some horrid looking glasses finished off her mild disguise.

Having sent Headmistress McGonagall all her records and transcripts along with her application by owl on a previous occasion she was told in reply this meeting was nothing more than a formality to meet in person. Zalina's teaching history and credentials had all been investigated and approved but she knew they would be.

As she settled at a table to wait for the Headmistress Old Tom sidled over to her eyeing her intently. He had seen her in her normal appearance when she had checked in. The old pervert could barely take his eyes off her bum.

She was a bit confused by the Headmistress's odd request to meet in the early hours just after midnight but after McGonagall explained about the late-night funeral service she would be attending nearby Zalina supposed it made sense. The truth was she would have met the Headmistress in a boat in the midst of the Hogwarts Lake in a driving rain storm if she had asked.

The pub was now closed to outsiders and those in residence had taken to their rooms at this late hour so they would be quite alone for their meeting.

"Can I get you anything Madam Star?"

"No thank you Tom," she flashed him one of her devastatingly sensuous smiles, "I'm quite fine for now. I apologize for keeping you at such a late hour."

She wasn't really. Truthfully she could care less…

"Think nothing of it Miss," Tom replied bowing low.

She could see beads of sweat break out at the old codger's temples. She smirked inwardly. She knew how to use these gifts she had acquired…

Tom was about to make his way back to the bar when they heard a knock at the rear entrance that came from Diagon Alley.

The old barkeep shuffled his way over to the door, unlatched it and pulled it open with a groan.

Minerva McGonagall bustled into the pub clutching a small satchel purposefully nodding to Tom as she passed.

"Good evening Tom. I do appreciate your assistance and patience for allowing this meeting at such a ridiculous hour. Do forgive me."

"Nonsense Minerva," Old Tom waved her off, "Happy to oblige. Can I get you anything?"

"No…no," she replied, "I shall only be a moment I assure you. I have another interview in the morning and I've much to do at the school yet before it will be ready for next term. You needn't make a fuss."

When McGonagall reached the table Zalina stood and took the Headmistress's hand in hers warmly.

"I must apologize to you as well Miss Star."

"Quite alright Headmistress," Zalina replied with as warm a smile as she could muster, "I understand you're quite busy. Please…"

Zalina motioned to one of the other chairs at the table and both women settled in their seats. The Headmistress placed a small satchel on the table and pulled out a sheaf of documents and arranged them in front of her.

"I shall get right to the point Miss Star." McGonagall began, "I have reviewed your application and information and am quite satisfied that you possess the necessary experience and qualifications to fill the post of Transfiguration Professor at Hogwarts however I do have one or two minor reservations and quite frankly would very much like to see your skill…first hand if I may?"

"Of course, Headmistress," Zalina smiled as she looked around the pub for a moment. As her eyes landed on Old Tom sweeping the floor nearby just close enough to eavesdrop on their conversation she was struck with a rather devious idea.

Zalina pulled her wand and concentrated on the old man looking blank for a moment. With a quick flourish Old Tom suddenly changed from his usual appearance into what looked to McGonagall like a young girl with curly blond hair, pink cheeks wearing a gaudy bright pink dress with a huge white bow at her back tied about her midriff with a wide white ribbon wearing white stockings and dainty white slippers. The old barman seemed to notice nothing as the young girl continued along sweeping the floor. The barkeep reached behind him and scratched his bum just as Old Tom was in the habit of doing often.

With another flourish of her wand Zalina changed him back. Tom merely looked at them and smiled his mostly toothless grin and kept on sweeping as if nothing was amiss.

McGonagall's lips curled into a wry grin.

"I must confess that was most impressive Miss Star. How you were able to transfigure him without his knowledge took some rather prodigious skill I must say."

"Thank you Headmistress," Zalina nodded to her, "I am quite adept at Legilimens as well as Occlumens. I've studied both skills quite extensively and found I have a natural talent for both it seems."

McGonagall's eyebrows rose.

"That's remarkable Miss Star," McGonagall replied, "I've known those who were proficient at one skill or the other but to be gifted in both is extremely rare indeed young lady."

"Yes…well" Zalina feigned a look of slight embarrassment, "Those skills manifested themselves quite early in my youth. It was difficult to control at first. There was not an irritating boy or aggressive pet safe in my neighborhood until I went off to school."

McGonagall couldn't help but smile.

She took in Zalina's appearance, demeanor and posture for a moment. Although slightly nervous as would be expected, she sat upright - if not a bit stiffly - with legs properly together and hands folded in front of her on the table in what Minerva would consider a proper position for a young lady. She could find nothing untoward in the prospective instructor's attitude or conduct. Zalina projected an air of competence, maturity and all-around likeability and even though her dress suggested mild stodginess she was quite attractive underneath. It was as if the woman was attempting to downplay her looks.

But with all of Minerva's years of experience and knowledge assessing her students and faculty she was struck with the undeniable sense there was much more to Ms. Zalina Sheryl Star then what appeared on the surface. While possibly not malevolent or evil there was just…something more…something she would like to keep hidden from prying eyes.

But then again there are many in our world who possess the very same trait.

"As a result of your application and my personal evaluation Ms. Star I am quite certain you indeed possess the necessary skills and abilities to make a qualified instructor however, having said that, the only possible concern I can ascertain to the contrary at this moment is your…how shall I put this without sounding biased…lack of years. As I am sure you know Hogwarts takes great pride in providing the very best curriculum for our students and that includes the most highly qualified instructors in their field. Most all our Professors are of a somewhat advanced age but this does in no way deem you unqualified, I assure you. It is more of a control and disciplinary issue than anything else."

McGonagall took a breath and continued.

"I am prepared to offer you a position as interim or probationary Transfiguration Professor for a period of sixty days, the contract to be evaluated based on an average of your student's marks and assessments from myself as well as other members of my staff. While I realize there are minor restrictions in a probationary period I assure you Ms. Star you will have complete control of your classes as well as whatever additions to the basic curriculum you wish to add or change to assist you in your capacity as an instructor as long as they are in the best interests of the institution and your students. No one will be perched on your shoulder like an owl watching your every move, I promise you. Is this situation acceptable to you? I assure you I will take no offense if you decline based on the limits of this offer. You will be compensated just as any other Professor on my staff. I will not subject you to a lesser salary as a result of my reservations or temporary restrictions."

"I understand your concerns Headmistress," Zalina said with a serious look on her face, "and I appreciate your candidness. My only request is that I be furnished with whatever criteria needed to meet your institutions acceptability guidelines in regard to student mark qualifications and whatever else I will be evaluated on so I may stay abreast of those requirements…"

"Of course, Ms. Star," McGonagall replied and handed her a parchment with a detailed description of what Zalina would be evaluated on under the terms of the probationary period, "Once the interim period expires the contract will automatically be renewed to our standard and a ten per-cent adjustment will be added to your salary for enduring such a restriction."

Zalina nodded approvingly as she read over the requirements.

"These certainly don't seem to be unobtainable by any means Headmistress," she smiled handing the list back to McGonagall, "I think I can live with the probationary period."

"Excellent Professor," McGonagall said smiling. After going over the contract, signing all the necessary documentation and issuing Zalina the base curriculum as well as rules, regulations and guidelines for Hogwarts both woman stood and shook hands.

"Welcome to Hogwarts Ms. Star," McGonagall gave her a tired smile, "I do hope you find our institution to your liking. At 28 years of age you will be one of the youngest Professors in the history of our school."

Zalina beamed.

"Well!" She blushed, "That's quite an honor Headmistress! Thank you. I won't disappoint you."

"I do not think you shall, Ms. Star," McGonagall replied, "I'll expect you two weeks prior to the start of next term. The starting date is in your information package. You may arrive early of course. You will have accommodations on premises if you so choose. The residence quarters within the Transfiguration Department office are quite comfortable I assure you. I've resided there myself for the past 50 years. I believe that is all for now Professor Star," McGonagall made her way to the rear entrance, "If you have any additional questions you may owl me at any time. Good evening Professor."

"Thank you again Headmistress and goodnight."

Zalina watched as Old Tom opened the door and let McGonagall out into the darkness of the alley beyond.

"Good news I gather?" Old Tom asked as he shuffled back toward her still carrying his broom.

"Good news indeed," Zalina murmured, "How about a snifter of your best Bubbling Brandy Tom? I have reason to celebrate this night?"

"Very good Madam," Tom croaked with his wide toothless grin, "Right away."

He turned to go back to the bar. He returned a moment later with a bottle and a round globe shaped glass.

As Zalina settled back in her chair with her glass of warm spiced brandy waiting for the bubbles to recede her mind raced ahead to the next phase of her plan.

She had managed to ensconce herself in one of the most prestigious magical educational institutions in the world by nothing more than deception, forgery and clandestine tactics and no-one was the wiser for it.

Seems they've learned nothing over the past several years!

Although she knew it was more of a testimony to her underhanded creativity and skill she could now bask in almost unquestionable integrity under the guise of her new respectable profession.

Zalina realized the most difficult phase of her plan was yet to come but she was almost certain her efforts would be successful. Her research and preparations had been thorough.

After finishing her drink she bid Old Tom goodnight and made her way up to her room. As she entered the first order of business was to remove the glamour and untie her hair. She let her long tresses spill down her back as she fluffed her locks free with her hands.

Undressing and slipping into a sheer nightgown she washed, brushed her teeth and made ready for a good night's rest. As she made her way though the small sitting area of her room blowing out candles she heard his voice as she bent over to snuff a candle with a soft puff of breath.

"My…my," the voice uttered haughtily, "I do appreciate a good quality see-through night robe!"

The fact was, with Zalina standing in front of the light one could see the dark skinned shape of her perfect naked body almost as if the shift did not exist.

As she snuffed the last candle she turned to look at the leering image of the teen-aged Tom Riddle sitting on his chair in the portrait propped against the wall behind her.

"Get a good long look did you?" Zalina sneered.

"Quite!" He responded, "I must admit you are an exquisitely sensual creature Miss Star." The look of raw wanton desire on his oil painted face was unmistakable.

With that, Zalina reached up and untied the dainty ribbon that laced the front of her sheer nightgown. With a tug she unraveled the bow and the thin garment slipped off her shoulders and pooled on the floor at her slender ankles.

"Is this what you were referring to?" She asked, gesturing to her gorgeous naked female body standing before his image.

Tom Riddle's eyes slid from her face down over her perfect breasts with their dark areolas and rather erect nipples to her firm, flat stomach and lingered for a moment on the dark triangle of thin fur that covered her womanly valley. He continued gazing along her muscular thighs and slender long legs. Her dark skin was supple and flawless.

"Mmm yes indeed," Riddle's image hissed.

In one smooth motion she bent and snatched the shift from the floor and slithered her body quickly back inside tying the ribbon deftly. She glared at the portrait for a moment.

"I hope you got an eye full you disgusting vermin! It's something you'll never be able to touch, enjoy or possess!" She spit.

"Still sore about Bellatrix I see," Riddle's image sneered completely unaffected by her display.

Zalina's eyes flew wide.

"What? Me…envious of that psychotic, pathetic excuse for a sorceress?" Zalina laughed, "You must be bloody daft!"

"Perhaps - even so," Riddle continued, "She served me well. Her deviousness was one of her greatest assets and she was loyal to the end…unlike others I trusted."

Zalina's anger spiked white hot. She lunged toward the portrait and shoved a long, perfectly manicured finger in his miniature painted face.

"Listen to me you stupid self-absorbed twit," she growled, "If you would have listened to me from the beginning I would have given you the secrets that have kept me alive for eight hundred years but no, you had to be impetuous and arrogant. You let Bellatrix and Severus Snape assist you in creating those…those abominations!"

Her anger was rising inside her to an almost dangerous level. She could feel the edges of her eyes going red with furry.

"Splitting your soul into seven pieces? What were you thinking you blithering idiot? If that wasn't ridiculous enough you did pathetically little to secure your Horcruxes and they were systematically eliminated right under your nose!"

"I…I don't know how Dumbledore discovered my plan…" Riddle stammered.

"Oh for Merlin's sake," Zalina said trying to restrain her temper, "Albus Dumbledore was a thousand times the sorcerer you had never even hoped to be! He'd been watching you from the day he came to pick you up at the orphanage to take you to Hogwarts."

Riddle's face wrinkled with fury. He lurched to his feet, hands clenched in tight fists at the end of his stiff arms.

"I AM THE GREATEST SORCERER WHO EVER LIVED!"

Zalina put her hands to her face peering at the figure in the portrait with unveiled disgust. She settled on the edge of one of the over-stuffed chairs in the sitting room across from the painting.

"You were…you mean," Zalina whispered loud enough for him to hear.

That comment made Riddle's image deflate like a pin pricked balloon. She watched as his face contorted through several different attitudes before settling on confused self-righteous indignation. He folded his arms tightly and slumped back in his chair.

"My plan would have succeeded if it weren't for those meddling kids!" Riddle huffed. {*}

"Did you not learn anything while you were in exile in Albania?" Zalina asked.

"What was I to learn?" Riddle spit miserably, "I was completely alone until that disgusting rodent Pettigrew found me and brought me that Hogwarts Professor. Neither you nor any of the others certainly did anything to assist me."

"Really?" Zalina replied with a slit-eyed gaze, "Who do you think instructed the rodent to go find you? How do you think he came to know where you were? Chance… happenstance? And I think if you remember correctly I was forced to go to ground myself after someone put a decree of death on my head! Let me see," Zalina stared at Riddle with as much hate as she could muster, "I think that was you wasn't it?"

Tom Riddle's image waved his hand arrogantly.

"Simple misunderstanding on my part," he said with nonchalance, "I was misinformed."

Zalina's blood began to boil. Her hands worked clenching and unclenching. Riddle's image had no idea how close he was to being completely annihilated. She had to physically force herself not to go get her wand and do him in once and for all. She closed her eyes and took a deep calming breath.

"You knew how important it was to me to remain anonymous. I tried to convince you of the legitimacy of my…talent and knowledge but you refused to listen."

"You should have instructed me in your complete knowledge from the beginning," Riddle shouted, "instead what did you teach me…how to occupy another's body like a lowly parasite? If you would have given me the complete process then…"

Zalina cut across him.

"…You'd still be just as dead! You weren't ready for that yet. I told you! It takes years to perfect that ability. You should have been patient."

"Bah," Riddle spit, "That is precisely why I devised my own plan. I did not want to rely on someone else's knowledge or skill."

"Is that so?" Zalina asked smirking now, "Who conducted the ritual to bring you back to a corporal form?" She didn't wait for a response, "Who assisted you in creating and preparing the potions necessary for you to create your Horcruxes? Who placed your diary in the Weasley girl's cauldron? Who did you dispatch to the Ministry the night Harry Potter arrived to save his Godfather and whom did you trust to spy on your most hated and feared enemy?"

The last was the most damming question of all.

"Tell me oh great Lord Voldemort?" Zalina said in a dangerous whisper, "How did all that turn out for you?"

Tom Riddle's painted image said nothing. He merely sat glaring at her with vehement disgust but just as quickly as his rage had appeared it evaporated. His face returned to his usual arrogant sneer gazing down at his fingernails.

"So do you think this new plan of yours will really work? Seems sound in its theory but…"

He intentionally left his comment hanging.

"I have no idea but you best hope so," Zalina replied as if she had tasted something unpleasant, "It's a brilliant plan and it's the last and only chance you've got. We'll only have one go at this so if you would like it to succeed, if it can, you will continue to do as you're told! Is that clear?"

Riddle's image said nothing but sat back in his chair brooding darkly.

With that Zalina returned to her bed chamber and to settle down for a good night's rest. She was certain she had made her points this night. It didn't mean she didn't worry. Her plan was completely improvised, untested and she was certain nothing like it had ever been attempted before. She had found nothing anywhere to suggest it had so her apprehension was not unfounded.

If she succeeded though, her life-long dream might stand a chance of coming to fruition after all rising out of the wreckage of Voldemort's short-sighted stupidity like a flaming Phoenix.

One can only hope!

{*} Well used line from just about every Scooby Do cartoon and movie ever made! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

-->