Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait by DarkWizardKiller
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Gilded Portrait

DarkWizardKiller

Harry Potter and The Gilded Portrait

Standard Disclaimers Apply

Chapter Thirteen - Warning

It wasn't unusual to find Sibyll Trelawney sitting at the end of the bar at The Three Broomsticks these days. As a matter of fact Madam Rosmerta considered the strange Hogwarts Divinations Professor somewhat of a fixture. There had been several times the pub owner had to summon Hagrid to come and escort the rather tipsy seer back to her quarters on the school grounds.

So it wasn't strange at all to see her sitting in her usual place on that rather stormy evening a few weeks before the new school term was to begin. As a mater of fact, the pub was enjoying a rather brisk night of business for a change, much to the joy of the proprietor.

Rosmerta was ecstatic Hogwarts was re-opening for the new term. Although the pub did a fair business with all the witches and wizards that had come to help repair the school it was still nice the repairs were now complete and the new term would start on schedule.

Thankfully she had been pardoned for her roll in allowing herself to be Imperioused and used by Draco Malfoy to try and deliver the cursed necklace to Dumbledore through a Hogwarts student. What very few people knew was…it hadn't been Draco at all…it had been Bellatrix Lestrange in the women's bathroom that night.

The death of the Dark Lord had brought about a renewed sense of comfort and normalcy there in Hogsmeade that had not existed in quite some time and the start of the new school term would help get things back to a somewhat normal rhythm. Even though many were still a bit hesitant to let go of their fears and weariness completely life was certainly beginning to move in the right direction.

For some like Professor Trelawney, whose life changes had little to do with the rise and fall of Voldemort she still found herself lamenting her fate and future. But no-one could have anticipated what was about to happen as many of the pub's regulars sat enjoying a quiet evening of drinks and casual conversation.

Hagrid entered the pub carrying the same old pink umbrella as Madam Rosmerta looked on in amusement.

"Evenin' Hagrid," She greeted him with her ethereally gorgeous smile.

"Evenin' Rosy," Hagrid smiled as he hung his damp overcoat on its usual peg behind the door, "Nasty weather ou' there tonigh'"

"The usual?" She asked.

"If ye' please my dear," Hagrid replied as he slipped onto one of the stools at the bar. It groaned and creaked loudly in protest to Hagrid's excessive weight.

Rosmerta put the huge bucket-sized mug of ale down in front of Hagrid and after he set a few galleons on the bar he glanced over at Sibyll.

"Alrigh' there tonigh' Professor?" Hagrid asked but as his gaze lingered on the odd woman he noticed she looked strangely blank…at least more blank then she usually did when she had too much sherry.

As Rosmerta noticed Hagrid watching her Sibyll rose slowly from the stool and stood silently, arms stiff by her side, head lolled back and her mouth slack.

Hagrid's eyes went wide and he was about to leap off his stool to rush to her aid when she started speaking in a strange gravelly voice that was nothing like her own.

"Evil stirs once more in darkness

Born unto the house of the serpent

Ancient's magic within youth disguised

Will unchain the dead from restless slumber

To awaken upon the Savior's demise"

After the last words were spoken she seemed to slowly gather herself back into sobriety. Sibyll coughed and cleared her throat blinking her eyes rapidly then sat back down on her stool and resumed sipping her Sherry as if nothing what so ever had just taken place.

Hardly any of the other patrons even noticed Sibyll standing there much less spitting out another prophecy.

She glanced at Hagrid who was still frozen in place gaping at her.

"I…I'm sorry Hagrid. Did you say something dear?"

Hagrid slowly turned and found a stunned Madam Rosmerta looking back at him. They both uttered the same phrase at the exact same time…

"Not again!"

Rosmerta scrambled to fetch some parchment, quill and ink and she brought them to the bar where she and Hagrid tried to remember the words Sibyll had just said. When they were certain they had it right Rosmerta rolled the parchment, tied it with a string and handed it to Hagrid. She swallowed hard.

"You know what to do with this."

Hagrid nodded with a sigh. He then gulped down his mug of ale and headed for his coat and umbrella. Tossing an irritated look over his shoulder at the barmy Divinations Professor he left the pub in a hurry mumbling epithets under his breath as he stepped back out into the driving rain.

At that same moment, deep in the bowls of the Ministry, in the Hall of Prophecies within the Department of Mysteries a small globe appeared high up on shelf number 99. It contained the bright blue swirling mist of a memory that flared once then faded to blend in with the surrounding globes. The small tag that dangled from the accompanying wooden base read;

Sibyll Trelawney,

8:15:31p.m. August 22nd, 1999.

RE; Harry Potter; Tom Riddle;

And {S.S.}?

As Hagrid made for the winding staircase up to the Headmistress's office he was still in a very dark mood.

The barmy old tosspot's a' it again! Can't leave well enough alone can she!

He remembered long ago when Sibyll had done the very same thing and what had followed.

Out of her words of warning the Order of the Phoenix was born and even the combined knowledge and efforts of hundreds of experienced witches and wizards could not contain the evil that gripped the entire wizard world then.

The darkness of those days of the loss of so many of his friends still hung heavy in his heart and with the recent loss of his beloved friend and mentor Albus Dumbledore Hagrid felt more alone now than ever.

It was true he now had Grawpy to attend to but the biting emptiness never seemed to let up. It was too soon. The scars were still much too raw and the losses still too near to be going through something like that again.

He mulled over Trelawney's words again as he ascended the stairs.

Hagrid knew he wasn't the smartest bloke in the world but even he could see the obvious message in some of the phrases. There was only one evil he could remember that she would be warning about - but how? He was dead! Really dead this time…wasn't he? He had seen the corps with his own eyes.

As he reached the Headmistresses office door he could hear voices on the other side. It was clear to him that McGonagall was in conference with the portraits of the past Heads. He was reluctant to knock at first but realized the importance of what he was carrying and knew she would want to be informed.

He knocked a bit louder than he had intended and he realized the office beyond went completely silent.

"Come." He heard McGonagall's muffled voice say from the other side of the door.

As Hagrid swept into the room he noticed all eyes on him. He glanced up to see Dumbledore looking down on him with a touch of amusement in his gaze.

"Evenin' Headmistress," Hagrid said a bit nervous and nodded to the portrait hanging above McGonagall's head, "Professor."

Dumbledore's likeness nodded with a warm smile but said nothing as Hagrid's attention fell back to the Headmistress.

"To what do I owe this unusual meeting Rubeus?" McGonagall asked peering at him over her tiny spectacles.

Hagrid blushed. He wasn't used to being addressed by his first name. He got right to the point.

"Bad business I'm afraid, Headmistress."

McGonagall's eyebrows rose as Hagrid handed her the parchment Rosmerta had made.

She untied the parchment, uncoiled it and began to read. When she was finished she looked back up at Hagrid, a confused look on her face.

"I'm not certain I understand Rubeus. What does this mean?"

He recalled what happened at the Three Broomsticks less than an hour before. He watched as all the blood drained from the old Headmistresses face. The office was as still and silent as death.

"Are you absolutely certain Rubeus?" McGonagall asked in a dry voice. Her throat seemed to seize up.

Hagrid nodded and with that the office exploded into a cacophony of shouts, arguments and discussions from all the portraits in the room. Questions and comments were flying at them from every direction.

"What is the meaning of this," yelled Everard.

"This is most upsetting," hollered Dilys Derwent

"Can this mean the Dark Lord has returned…again? Preposterous!" shouted Armando Dippet.

"I've always said that barmy old woman was a few knuts short of a galleon," added Phineas Nigellus Black.

Finally an aggravated McGonagall stood abruptly.

"SILENCE!" She hollered, "Please! I need a moment to think."

Behind her she could hear Dumbledore chuckling under his breath.

"Well done Headmistress," Dumbledore mumbled, "I didn't think you had it in you. Quite impressive."

She glanced over her shoulder with such a dour look it made even him fall silent. McGonagall looked back at Hagrid.

"You say Sibyll uttered these words just now - tonight?"

"Yes Professor," Hagrid said in a rather shaky voice, "Have you any clue what all tha' migh' mean?"

She sat for a moment and studied the words on the parchment.

"Evil stirs once more in darkness. Born unto the house of the serpent," she repeated, "It's rather obvious who that refers to I would think…any thoughts Albus?" McGonagall turned to look speculatively up at the old Headmaster's image.

Dumbledore's painted eyes twinkled even from the canvas of his portrait as he stroked his long white beard for a moment lost in thought.

"The meaning of that statement seems obvious on the surface dear Minerva but I'm not quite certain it's that simple." Dumbledore mused.

"It rarely ever is," McGonagall sighed, "Please explain?"

"Well," Dumbledore said, "We are relatively certain Tom Riddle, also known as the Dark Lord Voldemort is quite dead, is he not?"

"Yes," McGonagall responded, "I'm quite certain. His lifeless remains were sent to St. Mungo's. I saw the corps myself as did many others. What do you mean by relatively certain Albus?"

Dumbledore's image chuckled slightly.

"You do recall his proclivity for defying death?"

"What are you saying Albus?" McGonagall asked, becoming a bit nervous not certain she wanted to know the answer.

"All I'm saying, my dear friend, is that Tom Riddle was a direct descendant of Salazar Slytherin. Slytherin's Coat Of Arms contained a snake or what could be described as a serpent yes?"

"Of course," McGonagall replied, "That is a well documented fact Albus. What of it?"

Dumbledore smiled again.

"That statement doesn't specifically name Tom Riddle. It simply states that evil stirs again once more. That being said one could surmise the possibility that there may be another…"

Dumbledore's response was followed by a long stretch of silence. It was Hagrid who broached it first.

"Another what professor?"

"Not precisely a what my dear Hagrid…but a whom I would think." Dumbledore replied.

McGonagall looked at Dumbledore's portrait with shock.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying Albus?" She inquired.

"While it is only speculation on my part dear Minerva, I think yes. I am saying what you think I am saying." Dumbledore's smile was that of great amusement as if he were enjoying himself immensely.

McGonagall was becoming a bit flustered. All the portraits in the room began buzzing in hushed but exited conversations with one-another. It was old Everard who piped up.

"You're saying there could be another heir of Slytherin Albus? I don't ever recall old Salazar having more than one child with his wife."

"True…true," Dumbledore replied, "but do you recall his wife's sir-name?"

All the portraits looked at each other with confusion. McGonagall's hand flew up to cover her mouth as her eyes went wide. She had remembered.

"Salazar's wife's maiden name was…Black!"

"Quite right Headmistress," Dumbledore gleefully stated, "I believe her first name was Isadora if I recall correctly. Hence the connection of the Black family to the Hogwarts Co-Founder, however you must also recall there is a connection of Slytherin to the Gaunt Family name as well. The only connection to this name I could find in Ministry records was with one Elladora Black born in 1850 I believe. The only record to connect the Gaunt name is a single marriage certificate issued to Elladora and one Magnus Gaunt in 1871. It was through this single document I was able to make the connection of Tom Riddle to the Slytherin name all those years ago when I found him in that orphanage."

"I believe Salazar's wife's name was actually Illzadora Headmaster," Phineas Black corrected.

Dumbledore nodded, "I stand corrected Phineas."

"So why was this fact left out of the Black Family history," Minerva asked.

Dumbledore's held a hand toward Phineas Black's portrait.

"I believe we must consult a Black family expert for that answer."

The old Slytherin Headmaster's face contorted as if he was chewing on something that tasted unpleasant. McGonagall crossed her arms and glared at the painting.

"Well Phineas?" She asked haughtily.

"It was because Magnus Gaunt was a Muggle!" Phineas spit, "Elladora was a disgrace to the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black!"

The rest of the paintings murmured loudly.

"You knew?" McGonagall said. She suddenly looked as if she had been confunded.

"Did I know then young Tom was a descendant of Salazar Slytherin? Yes. Did I know he would grow up to become the Dark Lord Voldemort? Of course not however I suspected he would be…how shall I put it…different."

"So what does all that have to do with this new prophecy Albus?" Phineas Nigellus Black inquired.

"I'm certain I'm not sure Phineas however a clue lies in the next statement of this new prophecy I think." Dumbledore peered down at Minerva with a playful smile.

McGonagall turned back to the parchment and read the next line out loud.

"Ancient's magic within youth disguised," McGonagall turned again to Dumbledore's portrait expectantly, "I'm not sure I follow Headmaster."

"If we take that statement at face value one could ascertain that it could be someone young in years protected by ancient magic much as Harry Potter was protected by Lilly's sacrifice those years before. However, if you examine the statement more closely…"

McGonagall studied the phrase on the parchment for a long moment until her head snapped up.

"I don't think that's what this phrase is saying at all Headmaster!"

"Really?" Dumbledore looked surprised, "What is your assessment Headmistress?"

"I believe it could be telling us that someone old…very old may be disguised as someone much younger." McGonagall replied looking up at the portrait.

Dumbledore's face split in a wide grin.

"Excellent deduction my dear Minerva," The old Headmaster said, "I believe you've hit the head on the nail as the Muggles would say."

"Erm…beggin' yer pardon Professor Dumbledore sir," Hagrid interjected a bit sheepishly, "I thin' tha's hittin' the nail on the head but ye' were close."

"Ah," Dumbledore grinned, "Of course. Thank you Rubeus."

McGonagall gave them both a look of irritated contempt.

"Would it be possible for us to remain focused on the matter at hand?"

Both Dumbledore and Hagrid reddened brightly. When Minerva turned back toward her desk to continue to decipher the phrases before her Dumbledore stuck his tongue out at the Headmistress.

Hagrid had to turn around to stifle a sudden fit of laughter that threatened to spill out. Luckily McGonagall noticed nothing but all the rest of the portraits were stifling their own grins and chuckles.

"So what are we to make of the final two lines of this phrase?" McGonagall asked no-one in particular, "Will unchain the dead from restless slumber…To awaken upon the Savior's demise."

"It seems to suggest," McGonagall continued, "the possibility that someone who is deceased at present will be brought back to life…but that's impossible. No-one can be brought back from the dead. You've said so many times yourself have you not Albus?"

"Indeed Minerva," Dumbledore's visage changed from jovial playfulness to serious insightfulness in an instant. "I agree those who've…gone on can not be brought back to the living world as we know it but what if the one spoken of here has not…passed on yet."

McGonagall glared at his image on the canvas again.

"I swear Albus if you don't cease speaking in riddles I'll have your portrait transferred to the boy's lavatory on the second floor!"

He held up his hands, his eyes twinkling again.

"I mean no disrespect Minerva. I'm merely suggesting that it's possible for some to linger. Think of the Hogwarts Ghosts for example. While they are not here among you in corporal form you can see and interact with them. It is the same for us contained within our portraits. We are not alive in the conventional sense but we are here just the same, are we not? And I don't think it a stretch of our imagination to consider who the Savior is the prophecy speaks of."

All within the Headmistresses office mulled over Dumbledore's words in silence for a long moment.

McGonagall found herself collapsing into her chair behind her desk staring at nothing in particular.

"Oh no," she whispered bringing her hand to her mouth, "Magical Saints preserve us Albus, not again! The poor lad! I think Harry Potter has had enough of this kind of nonsense to last a lifetime. Who else could the Savior be?"

"Not again. Tha's just what Rosie and I said when we heard Sibyll speak those words Professor." Hagrid added, "So what do we do now? Who do you thin' the youth is the prophecy is talkin' abou'?"

"I have no clue Rubeus," McGonagall replied with a tired grimace. Her mind turned over all the possibilities of someone that might fit that description and one face in particular kept coming up in her mind but she brushed it aside for reasons unknown. It was preposterous, ridiculous enough not to share it with the others.

Hagrid looked at the Headmistress with a worried expression.

"Do ye' thin' we should warn Harry?" He asked.

It was Dumbledore who responded.

"While I am the first to take Harry's safety into consideration I don't think it wise to burden the lad with this just yet. I think everyone will agree he is most capable of taking care of himself. I believe whatever this prophecy reveals will manifest itself in time just as it did before. Revealing details prematurely my prevent events from occurring at all."

"But he could be in grave danger Professor sir!" Hagrid replied adamantly.

"I believe many underestimate Harry's abilities. You must remember he has Ms. Granger and Mr. Weasley who will assist in times such as these. They make a formidable triumvirate if I do say so myself."

"The Golden Trio," McGonagall whispered with lips pursed.

"Indeed!" Dumbledore said with a wide smile and settled back into his chair folding his hands on his lap as he relaxed. The twinkle in his painted eyes never had shown brighter.

End…Part One

A/N…After doing a few various forms of research I've discovered there isn't much that exists to connect Slytherin to the Black Family so I've taken creative license here to make that connection using canon names and history. I heard a statement somewhere that informed us that `back in the day' it wasn't unusual for Pure-Blood Wizard families to inter-marry so one could assume that would have been true for the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black as well.

There isn't much information that exists about Slytherin's family tree and his connection to the family name of Gaunt however the Gaunt connection to Tom Riddle is well documented.

One thing that does puzzle me is the Gaunt connection to the Peverell name. If you recall Marvolo's ring possessed the symbols of the Hallows which was believed to be the Peverell Coat of Arms. If the Gaunts came into possession of said ring by inheritance then it would suggest some form of Peverell connection to the Slytherin name as well, hence a connection (somewhere down the family tree) to the Potter Family name. I found this connection (although unconfirmed) quite curious and a bit confusing.

Many thanks to Steve Vander Ark's (on line) Lexicon for containing excellent reference information. It has helped immensely in the creation of this story!

-->