Unofficial Portkey Archive

Who? by sugarbear_1269
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Who?

sugarbear_1269

AN: I'm posting this so you know I haven't abandoned you. SexyTexy, I know you didn't flame me, just trying to acknowledge my forbidden pairing. But thank you for clarifying! To everyone else: Thank you for the honest reviews, and for alerting me to my mistakes. I'm trying to make less, but at least until Friday my books are at home and I'm at school. So, please forgive a poor school-beleaguered writer her faults. I've been overwhelmed by the amount of people who like this fic, and to you all I'm beholden. Also, when I do get to finally finish this, I am going to attempt to keep everyone in character as much as possible, but you all know that even in real life with real emotions it's hard to follow the thin white line exactly. So, humor me!

Ginny returned, flushed and laden with treats from the kitchens. The entry to Gryffindor Tower was empty. Somewhat crestfallen, she entered the portrait hole and retired to her bedroom.

As the holidays approached Ginny was less upset about not seeing Malfoy. He'd not bothered her since running into him outside Gryffindor Tower, and really, that was just a coincidence. She found her existence a bit more peaceful when she could concentrate on her studies again. One downfall was whenever Ron would make fun of Malfoy or bemoan some new problem with him, Ginny felt desire skittering low in her body. She couldn't will it away.

She spent more time in her room, preparing for exams. Often she perched in the window seat, gazing out over the lake. An unseasonably cold snap fell over December and a fluffy covering of snow remained over the grounds.

Ginny began to notice what appeared to be an extremely faint light emanating from one of the gentle swells of land near her side of the lake. When she only saw it a few nights a week, she began to wonder who or what was out there. No one else with the same view seemed to notice or even speak of it, so she kept her mouth shut. It didn't really bother her; after all, if there was something amiss on the grounds Hagrid would have surely notified Dumbledore.

Finally exams came for the term and Ginny was glad for them to be over. Students began to prepare to leave for the long holiday. Frankly, she was just glad to be done with school for the time being. She looked forward to long hours spent in her room in front of the fireplace reading some of the illicit romance novels she'd ordered from the book store in Diagon Alley. She couldn't wait for everyone to take their leave.

Ron and Harry stayed, of course. Hermione and Malfoy had to, which meant that she'd definitely see more of him, intended or not. That was one deadly sharp double-edged sword.

Hogwarts was decorated for the December holidays with gaily burning floating candles and evergreen boughs. The pleasant atmosphere relaxed Ginny and she even enjoyed the crisp cold when she opened her window to stare aimlessly at the mysterious glow outside.

Christmas Eve dawned bright and sunny. Many of the remaining students went outside and mucked around in the snow, chucking snowballs at one another or demonstrating transfiguration and flying spells with the compact projectiles. McGonagall, who watched from her office window, allowed a triumphant smile when she saw a particularly interesting or difficult transfiguration take place.

Ginny, Ron, Harry and even Hermione joined the fun. They pelted one another with snow and laughed and ran around like maniacs. Ginny consented to let the three build a snowwoman around her and she laughed so much she thought she'd gone mad.

Her cold-reddened face turned a deeper shade when she cast her glance on the steps that led outside.

Malfoy stood in all his sartorial splendor, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle. He looked the world like a Machiavellian lord surveying his peasants. His arms were crossed and his cool gaze flicked over the students playfully tangled below him. When his eyes came to rest on the snow-covered Ginny she thought she'd become so hot she'd spontaneously combust. The snow couldn't be brushed off her fast enough. When she thought she'd recovered enough to meet his gaze he and his cohorts had gone.

The four of them came in shortly after Ginny spotted Malfoy. She wanted to get inside and not be anything short of spic and span before she was forced to see him at the holiday dinner. Her embarrassment at being caught in such a childish game rankled Ginny. She knew it was harmless fun, but being coolly derided by a Malfoy's icy gaze was more than enough to put one in one's place. She knew Malfoy would never be so carefree and light-hearted to join in a bit of fun.

After she thought about it some more, she decided that she felt sorry for him. He'd probably never been allowed to play.

Later that night Ginny joined the remaining Gryffindors at their table. The food was delicious, conversation light and peace was heavy. Ginny realized that for all the subdued manners, everyone seemed to glow with an inner light. She'd never before realized just how comforting and energizing being with her friends could be.

She lifted her head and snuck a glance at Malfoy. He seemed gruff and cold as always. Idly Ginny wondered what it would take to light up those gray eyes that were really quite beautiful.

Ginny and the other Gryffindors returned to the tower for a big game of Exploding Snap. Butterbeers and laughs were exchanged. Ginny was content to curl on the sofa and watch everyone with a beatific countenance. She slowly grew fatigued and bid everyone good night.

She readied for bed and a house-elf appeared and stoked her fire, bidding her a happy Christmas. She smiled in response and then she was alone. Crawling into bed, she anticipated the morning and the presents it would bring. Mum's sweater, Hermione's book, Harry's box of chocolates... She knew that a small pile of these sorts of gifts would appear magically. She ran over her list of gifts she'd purchased in Hogsmeade during the December visit and gave to the house-elves to distribute for her. Satisfied that she'd completed everything, she allowed herself to fall deeply asleep.

Sometime after curfew, a sharp tapping on her window awakened Ginny. It was an ebony owl trying to gain entrance to her closed window. She rubbed sleep-crusted eyes and nearly stumbled trying to get to the window. The owl rushed in and dropped a rather large, flat package on her bed and then hooted at her to take the parchment tied to its leg.

Uncertainly, Ginny took the parchment. The owl swooped out and she shut the window tightly. She was unused to getting midnight owls, let alone packages. Curiosity picked at her and she decided to open the package first. Upon closer inspection, it was wrapped in silver paper and embossed with the name of the Hogsmeade clothier. Gently she ran her fingers under the sides, loosening the shimmering paper.

Pushing apart the flaps, she uncovered a black leather winter robe. Stifling her gasp, she lifted the heavy, magnificent garment and saw that it was lined in cinnamon fox fur. Her stomach churned and she raced to read the accompanying note.

The fine parchment unrolled perfectly as she read the emerald-green script.

Come to the lake.

Ginny shook. Her hands trembled and her entire body felt like it might drive itself into the floor. There was no mistaking the author of the note and the giver of the gift. The glorious robe matched his exactly save for the soft fur that nearly matched her hair.

She'd tried it on, and it hung on her small frame perfectly, draped over her like a protector. The warming charm he'd placed on it made her never want to take it off. She'd have bet ten Galleons that it was water-repellent as well. Oh, gods, it even smells like him.