Unofficial Portkey Archive

Fawkes' Gift by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Fawkes' Gift

TheGreatFox2000

Yeah...I had a feeling people weren't going to care for last chapter that much. It got...let me count, a humongous, whopping total of NINE reviews. Now, I can't say I wasn't expecting it, all I'm saying is let's try and make up for it this week ::wink::.

---------------

Chapter 9: The First Conversation

Two weeks later Harry was standing in Snape's office with Dumbledore, wondering whether agreeing to take this potion was a good idea, given the smell coming from the cauldron it was residing in.

"Is it ready yet?" Harry asked, trying to keep the contents of his stomach down.

"Potion making is not a science that can be hurried, Potter," Snape replied, looking down the length of his nose into the cauldron. "Another minute or two, perhaps."

"You are quite sure that no mistakes have been made, Severus?" Albus asked cautiously. Snape looked up at him as if he had just suggested that he kiss Filch.

"I am positive," replied the potions master, pulling a rather sinister-looking book from his desk and flipping it open. "As you can see, the potion is exactly as the book describes."

"You had to make this potion from a book?" Harry asked skeptically. "You didn't know how to already?"

"Well seeing how I haven't dabbled around in the dark arts, it's not like I know from instinct," Snape retorted.

"I would prefer to avoid any arguments," Dumbledore interjected, peering into the cauldron. "It appears ready."

"So it does," agreed Snape, summoning a ladle from one of the shelves, spooning the thick, black potion into a flask, and handing it to Harry. "All at once then."

Harry took the flask from Snape's hand tentatively and sniffed at the potion. He promptly had to set it down on the desk and cover his mouth to keep from retching.

"Is it supposed to smell that bad?" he asked, wincing.

"You'll find that dark magic, powerful as it may be, rarely tastes good," Snape said with a sadistic smile.

"I'd rather bathe in skele-gro than drink that, I think," Harry said, eyeing it carefully. "What if I throw it up?"

"You won't," Snape reassured. "It'll be absorbed into your system the moment it touches your stomach." Harry sighed, and holding his nose with one hand, picked up the flask with the other.

"Bottoms up, then." He closed his eyes and poured the contents of the potion into his mouth, gagging several times before finally being able to swallow it. Coughing, he placed the now empty flask back on Snape's desk and promptly slumped to the floor, unconscious.

=====

"Harry?"

Somewhere in the deep recesses of his brain, Harry registered that it was Hermione's soft, melodious voice calling to him.

"Harry...wake up..."

Not particularly inclined to cooperate, he breathed contentedly and let himself bask in the knowledge that Hermione was there. That, of course, changed when a jet of cold water hit him in the face.

"Gah! Must you always resort to that?" Harry asked, blinking the water out of his eyes as Hermione muttered a drying spell on him from her spot next to his bed.

"When the welcoming feast is about to start, yes," she replied with a small smile.

"Welcoming feast?" Harry asked. "How long have I been out?"

"About two weeks," she said sadly.

Harry looked at his surroundings and noticed that he was back in his own room, though Fawkes was noticeably absent. He did see, however, many of Hermione's clothes on the dresser and could see some of her toiletries in his bathroom.

"Have you been staying here?" he asked.

"Er...." Hermione blushed. "Well Fawkes had to do something while you were unconscious, and Dumbledore thought it best if someone stayed here to look after you, and -" Harry put his finger up to her lips to keep her from rambling.

"And you probably jumped at the prospect of being able to sleep with me," he said with a grin. Hermione's blush deepened. "You know, you could probably move in with me if we could convince McGonagal of it."

"I doubt she'd allow it," Hermione said, her face starting to return to it's normal color. "Even if she did, the governors would probably disallow it instantly. The school generally frowns upon unmarried professors living together. Bad example for the students and such."

"Guess I should ask you to marry me," Harry said jokingly. He smile dropped from his face though, when he saw Hermione's horrified expression.

"I...uh..."

"Hermione, I was joking," he said, not quite believing that she thought he was serious.

"Oh..."

"Does the thought of you being my wife really appall you that much?" Harry asked slightly hurt.

"No!" Hermione exclaimed. "I just...I thought you were proposing and wasn't really prepared for it."

"Oh," Harry said with a slight smile. He took her hand in his and stroked the back of hers with his thumb. "Well, what if I had been serious?"

"I don't know," Hermione said, looking away slightly.

"I've found the unanswerable question for Hermione Granger," Harry said with a dung-eating grin. "Ron would be so proud."

"Oh stop being so full of yourself, Potter," she retorted, also with a grin.

"Well...maybe we could find a way to live together without anyone knowing," Harry said with a smile, picking his wand up from where it lay on the bedside table. "Porto vimi."

A beautiful door appeared on the section of blank wall between Harry's dresser and the wall that was the outer wall of the castle. Grinning, he flicked his wand and the door opened to reveal Hermione's room.

"There, now we can come and go without anyone knowing," he said mischievously.

"Harry...do you realise what you've just done?" Hermione asked breathlessly, her jaw dropped.

"No, what?"

"You just changed the school," she said. "The physical properties of the castle are protected by very powerful magic. No one's been able to do such a thing since the founders themselves."

"Really?" Harry asked, interested. "Cool."

"I think 'cool' is hardly the word to describe it," Hermione said. "We should let Dumbledore know right away."

"Don't we have a welcoming feast to attend?" Harry asked, swinging his feet over the edge of his bed.

"Oh...right," Hermione replied. "Well, we'll tell him right after it's over."

"Seems like a plan," Harry said. "Now, I believe we should change into our robes?"

"Yeah," Hermione said standing up and walking over to the new door. "I'll just....I'll meet you in the common room, I guess."

"Will do," Harry said as she walked into her room and closed the door behind her.

Harry looked around and sighed. He hated being unconscious for prolonged periods of time, and two weeks was no exception. Waking up only to find out that Fawkes, who was the reason he had become unconscious in the first place, was not there was cause for slight aggravation. Throwing on a clean set of black robes, he fixed his hair up as best he could and walked out into the common room, only to find Hermione already waiting for him.

"That was quick," they both said simultaneously, cause chuckles from both of them.

"Guess we both get ready quickly, huh?" Harry asked with a smile.

"Apparently," Hermione replied. "Shall we?"

"Of course," Harry said, opening the entrance way for her. "How come we haven't seen any other the other teachers around yet?"

"They move in the same day the students do, most of the time," Hermione replied. "From what I know about Snape, he has his own personal quarters down in the dungeons."

"Ah."

They arrived at the entrance hall a few moments later and walked into the Great Hall, which was, save for the other teachers seated already, empty. They walked up to the head table and were promptly greeted by Professor McGonagal.

"Glad to see you made it on time, Harry," she said warmly. "You two can sit in the spots you were using over the summer."

"Thank you Minerva," Harry replied with a smile. "Who'll be showing the first years around, since you're the headmistress now?"

"Hagrid is still bringing them across the lake," she replied as Harry and Hermione took their seats. "I believe Filius has volunteered to lead them into the Great Hall from now on."

"Er...Minerva?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, dear?"

"Since you're the headmistress now, who's the head of Gryffindor House?" Hermione asked.

"Hmm...I have yet to name one," McGonagal said, looking around at the assembled teachers. "Out of everyone here, you two are the only ones from Gryffindor. Would either you like to have the job?"

"Erm...I haven't really done any kind of teaching before," Harry confessed. "So I think we can rule me out."

"Well...I don't know how well I could possibly do it, seeing as how I've never taught either," Hermione said. "But if you're willing to let me try, I'll certainly give it my best."

"Very well then," McGonagal said with a smile. "You're the new head of Gryffindor House. Just make sure to check up on your students every once in a while, and make sure the prefects always alert you of password changes."

"Got it," Hermione said with determination.

"Think you can handle it?" Harry asked with a grin as the students began to file in the hall.

"Well, if your story about me and the time-turner in my third year is true, I should be able to handle this," Hermione replied with a smile. "Oh, Minerva?"

"Hmm?"

"We were wondering if we could use your floo after the feast was over, Harry needs to contact Albus."

"Of course," McGonagal said. "I'll have some business to attend to, so you can just go on up without me."

"Thanks," Harry replied.

"Anytime."

The students filed in rather quickly, and before long the Sorting Hat was on its trademark stool putting the wary first years into their houses. Harry noted that there were no names worth remembering and soon Minerva was on her feet, giving the welcoming speech.

"I would like to welcome each and every one of you back to Hogwarts for another year," she said. "Students are, as always, reminded that the Forbidden Forest is exactly that, no magic is allowed in the halls, and the complete list of banned magical items can be found on our Argus Filch's office door." There was a slight murmuring at the traditional announcements. "I would now like to announce our two newest teachers. As you know, when I became the headmistress over this past summer, the Transfiguration position opened. I am most proud to tell you has been filled by none other than Miss Hermione Granger, who was Head Girl in her time here."

There was a polite applause from most of the crowd, except for a few of the six and seventh years who had been around during Hermione's reign as Head Girl, who made sure their claps were heard above the rest.

"Our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher has fought in many a battle, and is one of the most qualified teachers you will ever have in the subject," McGonagal continued. "I would ask you to please welcome Mister Harry Potter."

It was the complete lack of strange response that Harry found amusing as he rose from his seat. There were no soft murmurings, no strange whispers, no cat calls, and no tumultuous cheers. There was only polite applause, just as there had been for Hermione.

"And now, we have a feast to eat! Tuck in!" McGonagal exclaimed, and immediately the tables were groaning under the weight of the heaping mounds of food that had appeared.

=====

The feast, all in all, was a rather uneventful one. Following the departure of the students, Harry and Hermione walked to the stone gargoyle and proceeded up to the headmistress' office. Wasting no time, Hermione seized a handful of floo and tossed it into the fireplace, calling out, "Albus Dumbledore."

A moment passed and Dumbledore's head appeared in the fire, a smile on his face.

"Ah," he said, looking up at Harry and Hermione. "I was wondering when I'd hear from you two. Feeling alright, Harry?"

"I'd feel better if Fawkes was around," he said honestly.

"He has just returned," Dumbledore said. "He was speaking with his brother about Voldemort's plans."

"Fawkes has a brother?" Hermione asked.

"Indeed," Dumbledore replied. "I have been able to determine that it was his brother's tears in the mixture that revitalised Tom Riddle. Apparently Fawkes and Traethis had been planning your return for quite some time, Harry."

"Well, now that he's back, can I speak with him?" Harry asked.

"Naturally," Dumbledore replied. "He's probably already back on the perch in your room."

"Oh."

"Albus," Hermione spoke up. "There's something else we need to tell you."

"Yes?"

"Right before the feast...Harry changed the properties of the castle."

"Really?" Dumbledore asked, eyes twinkling. "How so?"

"He...erm..."

"I created a door between Hermione's room and mine," Harry said unabashedly. He knew that while it was probably bad form, Dumbledore probably wouldn't mind.

"And it serves its function perfectly?" Dumbledore asked.

"Yes," Harry replied.

"Well that is good news then," Dumbledore said. "I suggest going and talking to Fawkes, he will be able to enlighten you on that subject more than I could."

"Oh, okay," Harry said. "Erm...how have you been, Albus?"

"Well enough," he replied. "It's okay, Harry, you don't need to make small talk with me."

"Okay," he said with a laugh. "Thank you."

"Anytime," Albus replied. "Take care, Hermione."

"You too, Albus."

Dumbledore's head vanished from the fire with a pop, and Harry and Hermione wasted no time in hurrying back to Harry's room.

When they arrived there, sure enough, Fawkes was sitting on his perch, looking for all the world as if Harry and Hermione were the least punctual people in the world.

"Erm...hello Fawkes," Harry said. For a moment the phoenix regarded him carefully.

"Hello."

"Did it work?" Hermione asked, hearing only phoenix song. Harry nodded.

"I can understand you now," Harry said, smiling.

"I know," Fawkes replied.

"So...er...could you tell me about the prophecy?" Harry asked hopefully.

"No."

"Come again?"

"I said no," Fawkes replied. "You are not ready."

"Excuse me?" Harry asked indignantly. "How come you get to decide when I'm ready?"

"Because I'm the one who holds the prophecy," Fawkes said. "You hear me now not because of natural causes, but because of dark magic. You are not ready to hear what I have to say."

"When will I be?" Harry asked impatiently.

"I don't suppose we'll know now, will we?" Fawkes said.

"I...but..." Harry spluttered. "Dumbledore said this would help! Why would he suggest something if it would be pointless to do it?"

"Who said it was pointless?" Fawkes asked. "You can now communicate with me."

"But...I thought the whole point of that was so you could tell me the prophecy."

"Prophecies are not something to be taken lightly, as you well remember from your fifth year," Fawkes said. "Imagine if Dumbledore, instead of waiting, had told you the contents of the prophecy when you were eleven, lying in the hospital wing after defeating Quirrell? What do you think you would've done?"

"Probably something stupid, like going off and trying to find him," Harry said after a moment.

"In short, you weren't ready to hear it," Fawkes said. "You're not ready yet. Soon, but not right now."

"So what do I do until then?" Harry asked.

"You must continue to live your life," Fawkes said. "It is not wise to rush things. Learn to calm your thoughts, your emotions."

"You sound a bit like Snape when he was teaching me Occlumency," Harry said.

"In words, yes," Fawkes said. "But I promise you, when I tell you to calm your mind, it doesn't mean the same thing as when he says to calm your mind."

"What's the difference?" Harry asked.

"Severus would have you use force to accomplish the task," Fawkes said. "He would make you 'try' to calm your mind. Trying accomplishes nothing. You must 'do'. Just be at peace."

"Easier said than done," Harry said.

"You will learn," Fawkes said. "Or else I fear there is no hope for any of us."

Those words affected Harry more than any other he had heard in a long time, save for when Hermione told him she loved him. He sighed and sank down onto his bed, putting his arm over his eyes. Hermione sat down next to him and began to gently run her finger through his hair.

"To answer your question about your creation of the door, which I know you have forgotten about in your disappointment," Fawkes said lightly. "I give you the same answer as before. You are not yet ready to know why."

"Gee, thanks," Harry replied.

"I will reside in Hermione's room from now on," he heard Fawkes say. "I neither wish to intrude on your time, nor do I wish to witness what you do with it." With a bang the phoenix disappeared, along with his perch.

"What was that about?" Hermione asked.

"He's going to live in your room so he doesn't have to watch us do anything," Harry replied. "Cheeky git, isn't he?"

"I heard that."

Harry couldn't help but laugh at hearing Fawkes' voice from the other side of the wall.

"So I take it he didn't tell you anything?" Hermione asked gently.

"He said I wasn't ready," Harry replied. "Said that I have to calm my mind first."

"I'm sure you'll be able to do that," Hermione said. "You seem to be able to do anything if you put your mind to it."

"How so?" Harry asked.

"You got me to fall for you, didn't you?" she asked with a smile.

"I suppose I did, didn't I?" Harry replied with a grin.

"Perhaps you'd like me to try helping you calm your mind," she said, reaching down and grasping him through his trousers.

"If you insist," Harry replied with a smile.

---------------

Sorry it's up a little late, I had a recital to go to that kept me from updating in the afternoon. I hope you all enjoyed it...you'll get to see Harry teach his first class next week.