Unofficial Portkey Archive

Fawkes' Gift by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Fawkes' Gift

TheGreatFox2000

Casing? Check. Nitroglycerin? Check. Fuses? Check.

I did warn you all that there would be a bigger bombshell in this chapter, and I'm not one to lie. It's actually more of a large piece of the puzzle than a bombshell, and it's probably something you're all expecting to happen, so it might not be as big as I'm making it out to be. It will be a little dulled, however, by the fact that it will get explained in its entirety before this chapter is over. No cliffies this time, I'm afraid. Like that'll bother you all. ::chuckles::

---------------

Chapter 6: The Revelation

"Harry? Harry are you awake?"

Harry vaguely registered that the voice belonged to Dumbledore, but was too exhausted to do anything about it.

"Hey, c'mon mate we know you're awake," another voice said. Harry guessed it was Ron's. Still though, he did nothing. That changed a moment later when a spurt of cold water hit him in the face and he sat straight up in bed.

"Told you we knew you were awake," Ron said with a grin as Harry blinked the water out of his eyes while Hermione cast a drying spell on him. Looking around he saw that he was sitting in a bed in the hospital wing.

"What'd you do that for?" Harry asked, turning to her.

"To get your lazy arse up," she replied, tucking her wand away. "Dumbledore needs to speak to you."

"Yes, indeed," Dumbledore said. "It would be of help if you could tell me what you know of this recent attack."

"So there has been an attack then?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I'm afraid so," Dumbeldore replied. "And I will need to talk with Harry about it in private."

"Why?" Ron asked skeptically.

"Because it's obviously none of our business, Ronald," Hermione replied in a reprimanding tone.

"I didn't mean -" Ron started but silenced when Hermione grabbed his arm and dragged him out of the ward. Harry and Dumbledore watched the doors close behind them before turning to look each other in the eye.

"Let us waste no time," Dumbledore said. "Tell me what you know, and then I'll relate to you what has happened."

"I don't know much," Harry said. "I saw the dark mark floating over the mountains in the distance, and shortly thereafter I felt the familiar pain in my scar. He was happy, that's all I remember."

"He has good reason to be happy," Dumbledore said. At Harry's confused look, he continued. "Voldemort attacked a squib village just outside of Aberdeen. He expected, of course, that people would recognise him and the dark mark when he cast it into the sky. No one did, however."

"Why would that make him happy?" Harry asked.

"Think about it," Dumbledore replied. "No one knows who he is, the power he has, the destruction he can cause. Tom Riddle is much more powerful than when he first rose to power over twenty years ago, Harry. People will not prepare themselves to the extent that they should. He knows this, and will use it to his advantage. I promise you that."

"What about the ministry?" Harry asked.

"The ministry only knows that there have been murders," Dumbledore asked. "They don't know that the attack was only the beginning of what is sure to be the systematic hunting of muggles, muggle-borns, and squibs."

"Can't you tell them?" Harry asked.

"I could, but they would not listen," Dumbledore replied. "You surely remember what happened when I tried to help the Ministry at the end of your fourth year."

"Right," Harry said, downcast.

"From what I understand, the ministry has performed memory charms on everyone who lived...something that Voldemort will appreciate greatly, as more people will not know what has happened. They believe a natural disaster struck their area."

"You can use a memory charm to modify someone's memory?" Harry asked.

"Of course," Dumbledore replied. "It is similar to using the Imperius Curse. You simply think about what you want the person to remember when you cast the charm."

"So what do we do now?" Harry asked after a pause.

"As of right now, our best course of action is to defend what we can, and let everything else happen as if we are none the wiser."

"Give us more of an edge," Harry said in understanding.

"Exactly," Dumbledore replied. "Which is why I think you should have that conversation with Fawkes now. The more information we have, the more prepared we'll be when the time comes for you to fight Voldemort."

"Now?" Harry asked. "He's here?"

The response he got was a bang and Fawkes appeared on the foot of Harry's bed.

"You'll find Fawkes has very good timing," Dumbledore replied with a grin. The phoenix stared up at the former headmaster for a moment before turning to Harry.

"Erm...how...how am I supposed to do this?" Harry asked.

"Just ask him a question," Dumbledore replied.

"Right," Harry said. "Well...um...can you understand me Fawkes?" Harry asked. The phoenix nodded once in response. "Okay, well can you tell me why you made the egg?"

Fawkes let out a long quavering note in response, but for all Harry knew, it was an A flat. He heard no speech, no song, nothing that even remotely resembled English.

"I don't understand him," Harry said to Dumbledore. Albus stared blankly at him for a minute before speaking.

"Try again, then," he said.

"Fawkes, why did you make the egg?" Harry asked.

Again, Fawkes let out the same note as before, but Harry still didn't understand what was being said. Sighing, he turned to Dumbledore.

"Can't you tell me what he's saying?" he asked.

"No," Dumbledore replied, shaking his head. "Phoenix is very remarkable in that only the person being spoken to can understand it. Very secretive creatures, phoenixes."

"Why don't you ask him then," Harry suggested. Dumbledore shrugged.

"Why did you create the egg, Fawkes?" he asked the bird. This time, Fawkes let out two note, each of different tones than the first one. "He says he cannot tell me."

"Why not?" Harry asked. Again, Fawkes sung a few notes and then promptly disappeared with a bang.

"He says that you are the only one who can know the answer to that question," Dumbledore replied. "He also said that he will keep watch over you here until you can understand."

"Where'd he go then?" Harry asked.

"To get his perch, most likely," Dumbledore said. Sure enough, the phoenix appeared a second later seated comfortably on his perch before letting out a note and disappearing again. "He said he'll be in your room."

"Er...right," Harry replied. "Well, what do I do now?"

"Now I think it is best to go back to your room," Dumbledore said. "Surely you will have some explaining to do to your two new friends."

"Yeah," Harry said, swinging his legs over the side of the bed. "Albus, how are we supposed to beat Voldemort if no one can even defend themselves from him?"

"I cannot give you an answer to that yet, but rest assured, there will be a way," Dumbledore replied. "I am currently trying to figure out if there is a way that would allow Severus to 'see' all of what is happening with the death eaters, but until I either achieve or fail, I cannot give you a finite answer."

"At least we still have hope, then," Harry said, standing up.

"Do not forget hope," Dumbledore said in assent. "It is what gives us strength."

=====

After what felt like an eternity Harry found himself at his door, giving the password to the gargoyle. Stepping inside his room, he sat down on his bed only to find someone already there, and it wasn't Fawkes.

"Watch where you're sitting!" Hermione exclaimed as Harry jumped up and promptly tripped over his feet, sending him to the ground.

"What're you doing in here?" he asked, looking up at her.

"I was dropping off your copy of the finished lesson plan, but he wouldn't let me leave," she said pointing her thumb at Fawkes, who was perched comfortably near the door. "Every time I tried to go he'd squawk at me and fly around until I sat back down."

"What are you doing?" Harry asked Fawkes tiredly. The phoenix merely looked at him and opened his beak in a yawn. "So unhelpful."

"Why is he here?" Hermione asked.

"Watching over me," Harry replied, lying down on his bed next to where Hermione was sitting.

"Why?"

"He's got information I need, but I don't know how to speak phoenix, so he's going to hang around until I learn."

"You can't learn phoenix, Harry," Hermione said, at which Harry looked up at her questioningly.
"Anyone who can speak phoenix already is born with the ability. They just need to refine it before it becomes distinguishable."

"How do you know so much about phoenixes?" he asked, not surprised in the least.

"I read," Hermione replied with a smug smile. "So, are you going to tell me what that fainting was all about?"

"Why was Ron there when I woke up?" Harry asked evasively.

"I summoned him to go and get Dumbledore while I made sure you didn't die or anything," Hermione replied. "Didn't want to leave you by yourself after passing out like that."

"Oh," Harry said.

"So what happened?" she asked again. Seeing that she was not to be dissuaded, Harry sighed.

"When I was a baby, a dark lord named Voldemort tried to kill me, but failed," he said. "This scar is what remains of the failed curse. It forged a connection between us that allows me to feel his emotions, and sometimes see through his eyes. I'm pretty sure he can do the same, but I'm not positive."

"So this...Voldemort, did you say? Has attacked people and you felt his emotions through the scar?"

"That's it in a nutshell," Harry replied.

"There's only one problem with that," Hermione said, crossing her arms. "There haven't been any dark lords named Voldemort. Ever."

"He's not on record," Harry said, yawning.

"Why not?" Hermione asked. "If he tried to kill you, what, twenty years ago, surely people would know about him. Especially if you survived him as a baby."

"Nineteen years," Harry corrected. "I'm as old as you."

"It doesn't matter," Hermione said. "What I want to know is why you're lying to me. And how do you know how old I am?"

"Er..." Harry suddenly realised he was in a real bind.

"Is there something I should know?" Hermione asked.

"I...I er...um..."

"I guess I'll just go then," she said, standing. Harry was fully prepared to let her go and give himself some time to think things over, but was surprised (and disappointed) when Fawkes, just as Hermione described, refused to let her leave.

"Let me out you frustrating creature!" Hermione growled, exasperated.

"He wont," Harry said, realising what must have been going through Fawkes' mind. "He wants me to tell you everything."

Hermione looked curiously between the phoenix and Harry while the former settled back onto his perch and nodded once.

"What are you talking about?" she asked.

"The truth," Harry said, sitting up and looking her in the eye. "I doubt you'll believe one bit of it, but Fawkes seems to think you should know."

"That's Dumbledore's phoenix?" Hermione asked skeptically. "Seems much more ill-tempered than the books say."

"There are books about Fawkes?" Harry asked.

"Of course," Hermione replied. "He helped Dumbledore kill Grindewald."

Harry looked at the bird for a moment, and was surprised to see Fawkes looking down slightly, as if ashamed.

"So tell me the truth, then," Hermione said.

"Have a seat," Harry said. "It's a long story."

Hermione sat down in the armchair behind Harry's desk and stared at him expectantly.

"I used to go here, you know," he said, looking around him.

"To Hogwarts?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"That's not possible," Hermione said. "I was head girl, I knew everyone in my year -" Harry held up a hand to silence her before she could start a rant.

"If I'm going to tell you everything, you need to be willing to listen," he said. Hermione immediately looked appropriately embarrassed and nodded. "You are right to be skeptical though. I know there's no record of me ever attending, and you certainly don't remember me even though I was in your year."

"How is something like that possible?" she asked.

"The fact of the matter is, Voldemort was at the height of his power during our seventh year."

"But -"

"Let me finish," Harry said, and Hermione closed her mouth. "During that time, our good friend Fawkes over here made an egg."

"Made?" Hermione asked.

"Well I'm not entirely sure how he made it, but yes, he made an egg."

"Go on," Hermione said with a sigh.

"This egg turned out to be a way to open a portal through time, but only myself and Voldemort could work it."

"Why?"

"I have no idea," Harry said. "Ask him if you want to know," he said pointing at Fawkes, who now appeared to be listening with rapt attention. "Long story short, I figured out that by smashing the egg, it would kill both me and him. I did it."

"But you didn't die," Hermione said pointedly.

"Apparently not," Harry said. "Although until two weeks ago, I didn't remember a thing about the wizarding world. When I woke up those years ago I was in a hospital and they told me I had gotten hit by a car."

"How'd you remember?"

"Voldemort's old supporters found him and restored his memory. Because of the connection we have, the memory restoration apparently spread to me too."

Hermione looked at him for a moment before letting out a sigh.

"Suppose I believe you for a minute, even though your story is about as far-fetched as they come," she said. "Why would you do something that would cause your own death?" Harry stared down at his feet in response to this. When he didn't answer, Hermione spoke again. "Well?"

"I can't tell you," he blurted out.

"Why not?" she asked.

"Because it involves you," he whispered.

"How could it?" she asked. "I would've remembered."

"Oh, don't you get it?" he asked, frustrated. "The smartest witch of our age, yet your skills of deductive reasoning leave something to be desired for!"

"What are you talking about?" she asked.

"No one remembers!" Harry yelled. "There wasn't a damn person who even heard of me until Fawkes had Dumbledore drink my blood and his tears and only THEN did he remember it all."

"How could something like that happen?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know!" Harry shouted. "Maybe everyone got memory charmed into not remembering any of it!"

Hermione opened her mouth to say something but was cut off by Fawkes singing quite loudly. The sound ceased a moment later and Harry's jaw dropped.

"You can't be serious," he said. "Everyone got memory charmed?"

Fawkes chirped.

"You understand him?" Hermione asked.

"No, but whenever I'm right he always interrupts," Harry said. "How...how is that possible?"

"I guess you won't know until you learn to speak phoenix," Hermione replied.

"No wonder he decided to stay here."

Harry and Hermione sat in silence for a while contemplating the new information until she spoke up.

"So why did you smash the egg?" she asked.

"I shouldn't tell you," Harry said.

"You said it involved me," Hermione replied. "Therefore I have a right to know."

"Yeah...I know," Harry replied. "Always standing up for rights, whether they be yours, or house-elf." Hermione's eyes widened at hearing this. "Do you believe me yet?"

"If you knew me...you must've known Ron."

"We were best friends while I was here," Harry said. "Ever since we saved you from a troll on Halloween in our first year."

"I don't remember that," Hermione said.

"Of course you don't," Harry replied. "It involved me, therefore you don't remember it."

"Tell me something about Ron," Hermione asked, seeking more reassurance.

"Ronald Weasley has six siblings, only one of which is female. His parents are named Molly and Arthur, and live in a very magical house called the Burrow. Fred and George, who are two of his brothers, opened a prank shop right out of school called Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes."

"You...you know everything," Hermione said.

"I know even more about you," Harry replied. At this, Hermione looked up at him curiously. "Your name is Hermione Jane Granger. You were born on September 19th in a hospital in Sheffield. Your parents are Dan and Emma Granger, both muggles, and were both surprised at your magical blood. In your third year you had a time-turner which you used to get to the extra classes that you should not have been taking. In your fourth year you learned about the treatment of house-elves and started the Society for the Protection of Elvish Welfare, which Ron jokingly referred to as SPEW. Your favorite spot in the entire school is in the library, although if it's a nice day you prefer to read out under the tree on the far side of the lake."

"I never told anyone about the time-turner," Hermione said, jaw dropped.

"It must feel pretty boring, not remembering all the adventures you, Ron, and I had together," Harry said.

"Tell me why you smashed the egg," Hermione said. The tone of her voice said that she now needed to know, as opposed to wanted to know.

"I smashed the egg to save you," Harry said truthfully. "We were trapped in Dumbledore's office. Voldemort had you in the Cruciatus Curse and demanded I give him the egg. I smashed it to save your life."

"There's more to it though, isn't there?" Hermione asked.

"...We were in love," Harry said softly. "I couldn't bear the thought of your death, and reasoned that if I could die to save your life, it would be worth it."

"I had a feeling it was something like that," Hermione said with a sigh.

"You did?" Harry asked. She nodded.

"Did Dumbledore tell you about what happened with me after graduation?"

Deciding that honesty was the best course of action here, Harry nodded.

"He told me everything when he regained his memory of me, and what I had done," he said.

"I felt so alone...so empty," Hermione said. "Ever since you've arrived here, I've felt as if that missing piece of my soul is suddenly back where it belongs."

"Do...do you mean that?" Harry asked, his heart starting to beat wildly in his chest.

"Yes," she whispered. "But I don't know if I'm ready to accept it yet. I barely know you...even though you seem to know everything about me."

"I understand," Harry said, slightly deflated.

"It's all so hard to believe," Hermione said. "But everything you've told me...it suddenly seems familiar."

"If it was a mass memory charm that made everyone forget, then it should start to come back slowly," Harry said. Hermione nodded and stood up.

"I should get back to my room," she said. "I have a lot to think about."

"Don't think too hard," Harry said with a smile. "I've seen you trying to work out a problem with no rational answer. You look like your brain is about to overheat."

"You must be telling the truth, because that's exactly what it feels like," Hermione replied with a slight smile. "I'll talk to you later, Harry. You can be sure of it."

Harry watched her leave the room and close his door before lying down on his bed and staring up at the ceiling. Suddenly realising something, he sat up and stared at Fawkes, who was looking for all the world like the cat that ate the canary.

"You sneaky bastard," Harry said staring at the phoenix. Fawkes simply looked at him and squawked gleefully.

---------------

All right. So now that that's out of the way, we can concentrate on some Pumpkin Pie fluff and the revival of Voldemort. Next chapter you'll get to meet Luna for the first time this story, and perhaps more surprises.....until then. ::maniacal cackle::