Unofficial Portkey Archive

Things Don't Always Go as Planned by princess.harmony
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Things Don't Always Go as Planned

princess.harmony

Things Don't Always Go as Planned

Chapter Four: Catching Up

AN: It's been a year since Deathly Hallows part 2 and we are all still here. To celebrate I decided to post this. The magic will never end, and we will stay with you Harry till the very end, always. I don't own Harry Potter or anything. Apologize for grammar/spelling errors. Once a Potterhead, always a Potterhead.

Harry sat at the foot of his bed and covered his face with his hands. "You idiot! It took you five years to come back and fight for Hermione. If you came earlier, that engagement party would be yours and Hermione's; you would have been engaged to Hermione!"

Harry shot up from the bed walk towards the wall and punched the wall.

"YOU BLOODY IDIOT!" he cried out tears flowing uncontrollable down his cheeks.

Harry finally calmed himself down and sat down on his bed. Harry managed to stop crying. He stared at the hole in the wall emotionless.

"Reparo.", Harry muttered.

Harry watched the wall repair itself. It's too late, isn't it? This was a mistake to come back, right?

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Harry woke up as the blinding sunlight hit his face. Yesterday was all a blur. All Harry could remember is coming home, seeing Hermione, and then finding out news he didn't want to hear. Harry closed his eyes again as yesterday events replayed in his mind.

Harry decide to take a quick shower, hopefully it would wash away the sadness, grief, and regret he was feeling.

After taking a shower, it did seem to help brighten Harry's mood a little. Harry return to his room to fix his bed, when he notice his mobile phone beep. It was a text message from Helena, Angelo's niece.

Harry meant to owl Angelo as soon as he got to England, but after all the events from yesterday he needed advice on what to do and couldn't wait a week for him to receive his letter and an additional week to receive a letter back. So Harry decided to text Helena to fill in what happen and forward the message to Angelo, since Angelo doesn't have a mobile phone and doesn't have a clue to work one. Plus, it was the fastest way to communicate with him.

Harry read the text message:

Harry, I feel greatly sorry that you had to go through all of that when finally arrived back home. I know you don't want to hear this but did you really expect Hermione to sit around and wait for you to return? Then come jumping into your arms the moment you come back?

Harry rolled his eyes. Ironic. He continued to read.

Harry, I'm just proud of you for trying, even though it didn't ended the way you planned it to be. But I say, be there for her. She is your best friend and she is marring your other best friend. Spend as much time with her before the wedding, make up for lost times because once she is married she won't be around as much. She is going to have her own life and family to worry about. Goodbye and good luck.

As much as I hate to admit it, Angelo is right. Harry sighed to himself before heading downstairs.

Harry came down the stairs to the sight of Mrs. Weasley clearing the table.

"Harry, nice of you to finally join us but I'm afraid that Ron ate finished your share.", Mrs. Weasley said while putting the dishes in the sink.

"Where is everybody?", Harry asked while helping Mrs. Weasley with the dishes.

Mrs. Weasley took the dishes out of Harry's hands and answered, "Harry, I got this. Besides, you just missed them, they all left for work. Why don't you call Hermione, and I'll whip something for the both of you."

"Wait Hermione? Didn't she eat yet?"

"She wanted to wait for you.", Molly answered.

She wanted to wait for me? Why would she want to do that?

"I guess I'll go up there and ask her if she wants to eat breakfast.", Harry said before heading upstairs to retrieve Hermione.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Hermione was reading a book on her bed when she heard a knock on the door.

"Come in.", she answered.

A man with black messy hair and beautiful green eyes entered the room. I still can't believe he is finally home.

"Good morning Hermione.", he greeted before taking a seat on her bed.

"Good morning Harry.", Hermione greeted back before sitting right next to him.

Harry took his hand and began to rub the back of his neck as he asked, "Why didn't eat breakfast with everybody else?"

"I wanted to wait for you. Plus, you been gone for so long and we always eating breakfast together." Hermione answered with a smile.

Harry smiled back. I miss that. I love it when he smiles.

"Harry, are you alright?", Hermione looked at Harry concerned thinking of how he quickly left after breaking the news that she and Ron are engaged.

Harry shot back a confused look, "Yes, what do you mean?"

"It's just after you left you seemed like- you wanted to get away as soon as possible. Not to mention you didn't return to the party after you left."

"I was just tired. After um packing I sort of fell asleep, you know jet lag.", Harry answered avoiding Hermione's eyes.

Something is up. Hermione wasn't all convinced at his explanation. Not wanting to start a fight, since he just back she let it go. She watched as Harry shifted awkwardly in his seat until something caught her eye.

"What is it this?!", Hermione asked while raising his freshly busied and cut hand.

"It's nothing. Hermione I got this back in America.", Harry lied.

He is lying. "What do you mean 'it's nothing'. Harry you're hurt.", she scolded as she ran her fingers on the freshly wounded busied knuckles.

She felt that spark again. The same spark from last night when she touched Harry. It gave her chills that ran down her spine.

Harry quickly removed his hand from Hermione's. "It's nothing Hermione. Don't worry about it.", Harry hissed.

"Let me heal it.", Hermione demanded while bring out her wand.

"Do you even know how?", Harry asked unsurely.

Hermione rolled her eyes. "After you being in the hospital wing a million of times and watching Madam Pomfrey heal you of course I ended up picking up a few healing spells. Plus, I've read a book or two about healing spells.", Hermione explained while reaching out his hand.

"Episkey.", Hermione muttered as she pointed her wand on Harry's hand.

Hermione and Harry watched as his damaged hand heals itself.

"Thanks.", Harry said while examining his hand.

"No problem Harry."

"Well, we better get down stairs. Molly is waiting for us." Harry said before getting up and leaves the room. Hermione soon follows shortly.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Harry and Hermione met Mrs. Weasley in the kitchen.

"Actually Molly, I'm not hungry.", Harry said.

"Me either.", Hermione agreed.

Before Mrs. Weasley could argue about missing the most important meal of the day, Hermione continued, "Don't worry Molly, I promise that we will eat a big lunch while Harry helps me plan the wedding."

Wedding plans? I didn't agree with no such thing. Harry shot Hermione a questionable look. "Yeah.", Harry agreed unsurely.

"Okay. You two be home before dinner.", Mrs. Weasley said while giving Harry and Hermione uncertain looks.

"Sure thing. Goodbye!", Hermione said before kissing Mrs. Weasley on the cheek then heading out the door.

Harry stood still in the same spot, hesitating to follow Hermione. I'm so confused, I have no clue what is going on.

"Harry are you coming or not?", Hermione shouted.

"Coming.", Harry answered while following Hermione and getting his cloak.

"Here grab my hand.", Hermione said while holding out her hand.

Harry took Hermione's hand and felt that tingly feeling every time their skin touched.

"Where are we going?", Harry asked hoping he'll get some answers to his questions.

Hermione smiled at him causing Harry heart to melt.

"You'll see."

Hermione and Harry apparated to London in dark alley. With a flick of Hermione's wand, she transfigured their cloaks to muggle clothes. Hermione looked around before stepping out of the dark alley into the busy streets of London dragging Harry along with her. What is she up to?

Harry gave Hermione a confused look while Hermione just laughed and rolled her eyes. Hermione took many turns left and right until they were face to an old coffee shop.

What are we doing here? Before Harry could ask, Hermione entered the coffee shop and stood in line. Not wanting to get lost, Harry quickly followed her.

While waiting in line Harry opened his mouth before Hermione interrupted, "Harry could you find some seats for us while I take our order?"

Harry quickly found a place for them to sit. It was close to back near a window. Harry sat down while he waited for Hermione with their orders. Leaving Harry lost in his thoughts.

Why are we here? Why did she bring me here? Does she feel that tingly feeling too, every time we touch?

"Harry? Harry?", Hermione called out.

Harry shook his head as he snapped out of his thoughts. He was in his own little world that he didn't notice Hermione was seating across from him with two coffee mugs.

"Oh, sorry.", Harry apologized.

"It's fine. You've got to try this. It's the best coffee I've ever taste. I've found this place after you left for America and been coming back here ever since.", Hermione said with a twinkle in her eye.

I love that little twinkle in her eye whenever she gets excited about something. Harry took his coffee as he watch Hermione took a sip of hers.

Harry took a sip of the hot coffee, and boy was his taste buds dancing. I never knew coffee would taste so good!

He looked at Hermione, who was on the edge of her seat waiting to hear his reaction.

"So, what do you think?", Hermione asked curiously.

"Eh, okay.", Harry said trying to hold in his laugh while looking at Hermione like he just sprouted another head.

Harry couldn't hold his laughter any longer and burst out laughing.

"I'm just kidding Hermione. You should of seen your face.", Harry teased.

"You prat! I told you it was the best coffee ever!" , Hermione said before taking another sip of her coffee.

Harry too took another sip of his coffee before asking, "Why are we here Hermione?"

Hermione gave Harry a confused look. "Harry, I can't believe you are so draft."

She picked up her coffee mug and continued, "We are here in a coffee shop to drink-."

"Hermione, I know that. I mean you said to Molly that I was going to help you with planning your wedding. But here we are, in a coffee shop."

"Do you really think I would bring you to help me plan my wedding? Besides, Harry I have a long time to plan before the wedding."

"How long is it till the wedding? When exactly is the wedding?"

"Um, about two months from now and it's on March 23.", Hermione answered calmly.

Harry nearly spitted out his coffee.

"TWO MONTHS? Hermione, have you gone completely mental?"

Hermione was token back at his comment, slightly offended.

"No, I have not gone mental!"

Noticing her change of tone, "Hermione, I didn't mean it that way. It's just most women in your position would be going nuts knowing their wedding is just around the corner."

"Well, then I'm not like most women.", Hermione said cheekily.

"You certainly are not."

Harry watched as Hermione blushed.

"Besides, Molly and Ginny said they would do all the hard stuff. All I got to do is show up and say I do."

Harry looked at curiously.

"What?"

"Hermione, this is yours and Ron's wedding, it isn't Ginny's nor Molly's."

"I know.", Hermione answered quietly.

"So how long have you two been engaged?"

"Um, about two weeks."

Harry was taken back by her answer.

"Why the sudden rush?"

"Um, I don't know. Ron wanted it to be near his birthday. He said we were together for five years, so why wait any longer."

Hermione check her watch. "Oh joy. It's about lunch time come on, Harry lets go get lunch."

Before Harry was going to pay a tip since she paid for the drinks, Hermione place the money on the table.

"Harry I got this."

"But, you paid for our coffee."

"It's fine."

"Okay, I'll let you go this time. Only if you let me pay for our lunch and leave a tip.", Harry said refusing to back down to this stubborn and independent woman.

"Deal." Hermione agreed with a smile.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Hermione and Harry finally decided on what restaurant they were going to eat for lunch.

After the hostess show them their seats and handed them their menus, Hermione thought it was a perfect time for them to catch up with each other.

Shortly after looking at the menu, both and having an idea of what they were going to order then placing the menu down.

Just when Hermione was about to speak, Harry asked, "So, what have you been doing while I was gone?".

It was like Harry stole the words straight from her mouth. It still amazes me how sometimes he reads my mind.

"Well, nothing exciting really. I finished up my seventh year at Hogwarts while taking night courses at a muggle college. I took summer courses to keep myself busy. With all that said and done, I was able to graduate last June." Hermione said as if it was nothing.

"Amazing. What did you study for?", Harry asked curiously.

"Lawyer."

"Wow, sounds great! What have you done with your hair it's longer and less bushy."

"Yeah, I let it grow out. Ever since then my hair began to become more manageable."

"If you asked me, either way you look absolutely exquisite."

Hermione turn deep red at his comment and couldn't help but smile.

"Thanks."

"So what did you do after you graduated?"

"After being away from my parents while growing up and going to college, I decided to spend some time with them before going to work. I was planning to work for the Ministry this January, until I got engaged."

"Wow, you're on your way to success Hermione. Sooner than you know it you'll be the Minster of Magic."

Hermione blushed, and then both broke into laughter. Can I get any redder?

They were soon interrupted by the waiter.

"Hello, I'll be your waiter this fine afternoon. May I take your order."

"Hi.", Hermione said while scanning the menu again to refresh her memory of what she planned on ordering.

"Oh, yes. I would like a cheese burger with some curly fries on the side and a glass of coke. I would also like a salad.", Hermione continued.

Harry looked at Hermione then at the waiter.

"I guess I'll be having the same, but without the salad.", Harry said before he let out a chuckle.

"Of course. Anything else?", the waiter asked.

"That will be it for now.", Harry answered for the both of them.

"Your orders will arrive shortly." the waiter reassured them while grabbing their menus and walking away.

Harry was looking at Hermione.

"What?" Why is he looking at me like that?

"Oh, it's nothing. I admire you for eating whatever you want, not caring about your weight."

"Harry to be honest, it's gotten a lot harder to keep the shape that I am but that's not going to stop me from eating what I want. It's going to be hard, but I'll sacrifice taking the stairs instead of the lift or taking a nice walk in the morning."

Harry smiled at her. How does he do that just one smile, then I'm putty in his hands.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Their food arrived both didn't hesitate to dig right in.

"Enough about me, what about you Harry? What have you been up to in America?", Hermione asked after taking a bite of her salad.

Harry cleared his throat before answering, "Um, where do you want to start?"

"I want to know everything. What did you do for a living there?"

"Well, I wanted to work as a muggle away from the wizarding world as much as possible. Unfortunately in America, they are strict in background checks so I was unable to provide proof for my muggle existence. Of course America was aware of the recent news in Europe. So I decided to become a professional quidditch player for Brawny Bobcats as a beater."

"Harry, that's amazing. But wouldn't they at least recognize your name or how you look?"

"When I was playing, I went by the name James Black. Because I wasn't playing my best position, I wasn't their star player. People didn't notice me."

Hermione looked at Harry with admiration.

"Where did you live, Harry?"

"In Los Angeles, California.", Harry answered as he watched Hermione bite her lip thinking about something.

"But I thought you want to live somewhere quiet."

"Yes, but once you live in a small town everyone knows you. I wanted to live somewhere where I could stand in the middle of a hundred people and nobody would recognize who I was."

Before Hermione could ask another question, they were interrupted again by the waiter.

"Are you two finished?", he asked before picking up the dishes as they nodded yes.

"Would you like dessert?"

"Yes, do you have some pumpkin pie?", Harry and Hermione said insync.

All three of them laughed.

"We sure do. Your order will be coming shortly.", the waiter said as he walked away.

"Did you make any friends?", Hermione asked.

"Besides my teammates, there is only one in particular. His name is Angelo. He is a very sweet old man who owns a little book shop right across the street from my flat. I helped around at his bookshop when it wasn't quidditch season. He is also a wizard."

"I would love to meet him someday."

"Oh, Hermione you would love him. He loves books as much as you do."

Soon their pumpkin pie arrived and they dug right in, eating I silence. Just as promised, Harry paid for their delicious lunch and the tip as well before leaving the restaurant as they decided to take a stroll around the city.

As they continued to walk around, Hermione stopped and looked straight to Harry. She reached out and played with his black strands of hair using her finger. He closed his eyes at her touch.

"Harry why did you cut your hair and what ever happened to your glasses?"

Harry looked around finding the right words.

"I needed a new look something to change for a new chapter in my life, so I decided to cut my hair and have surgery done with my eyes."

"I've missed you Harry." Hermione said as tears began to blur her vision of Harry.

"I've missed you too Hermione."

"Harry, I missed so much a part of your life that I can never take back.", Hermione choked out as tears began to fall down her face.

I can't stand seeing her cry. Harry couldn't take it anymore as he pulled her into a tight hug.

"Me too, Hermione.", Harry said quietly.

His emerald eyes met her brown ones as Harry wiped her tears away.

Hermione wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face in his hard chest.

"Just promise me that you'll never leave me again."

"I promise, Hermione."

It broke Harry's heart seeing how much he hurt Hermione while he was gone. I never want to see her hurt again.

Harry kissed Hermione on her forehead before they pulled apart. Hermione wiped her tears. Then hugging onto Harry's arm and resting her head on his shoulder. They walked around like this until they decided to call it a day and head back to the Burrow for dinner.

If we continue this, it's going to be harder not to fall deeper in love with her than I already am.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

AN: My apologies for the long wait. I'll try to update sooner. Please leave a review and tell me what you think.