Unofficial Portkey Archive

Heart Haven by vanillaparchment
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Heart Haven

vanillaparchment

A/N: Apologies for this late update. I've been ill recently and wasn't able to spend time editing these two chapters until recently. I hope you enjoy!

Chapter Three

"Well, she really did it," Mrs. Granger said to her husband as he crossed out his third attempt at spelling `syzygy'. "We have another grandson, Howard."

"Perhaps we'll get a new one every three months," he remarked dryly, "what's his name?"

"Oh, darling, you know him already. Theodore Lupin, remember?"

"He's the one with the blue hair?"

"Only sometimes, Howard."

"Syzegy?" Howard scowled and crossed that out, too. "Well, good. I liked him."

"I think it's spelled like this, dear," Helen said, reaching for the pen and spelling it correctly. "Try that."

"It just doesn't look right," said Howard, his brow furrowing. "Three `Y's?"

Helen waited patiently.

"It fits," said Howard grudgingly. "I'm done."

Helen swept his crossword away. "And what does that look mean, Howard?"

"Do you think they'll stop at a dozen?" Howard mused, scratching his chin with the tip of his pen and leaving a great blot of ink on his chin. "Or perhaps they're trying to have a child for every letter of the alphabet-"

"Really, Howard!" Helen looked annoyed. "He was Harry's godson, you know."

"I just know that the last time you talked with our daughter about children, Hermione smiled and didn't tell you off for bringing it up," said Howard, "that means something, doesn't it?"

"I don't know," Helen said impatiently, "I told her you weren't ready-"

"I'm not ready?" Howard echoed, "Shouldn't we be concerned about Harry? He's her husband, after all."

"Harry is just as ready as she is," said Helen crossly, "honestly, Howard. What do you think of it?"

Howard smiled.

"I trust them to make their own decisions, Helen," he said, "and all we can do is support them."

"Perhaps you're right," said Helen with a sigh, "but it does seem quite fast, doesn't it?"

"Life moves quickly sometimes, dear," he said, "we'll just make the best of it together."

^*^*^*^

"Neville?"

He jumped and spun around, nearly dropping the flowers in his hand as a result.

"Oh-hello, Hermione," he said, relaxing.

"I didn't expect to see you today," she said, brushing a curl of hair out of her eyes, "is everything all right?"

"Yes," Neville reassured her, "I'm just… well…"

He looked down at the flowers in his hand.

"It's my parents' anniversary today," he said quietly, and she made a soft noise of understanding.

"Do you-usually visit them alone?"

He didn't reply, and she touched his arm.

"Would you like me to come with you?"

He looked down at her, and though there was a moment where everything in him wanted to say no, he felt himself nod.

They started walking toward the stairs, and as they walked, Neville searched about for something else to discuss with her. It wasn't hard.

"I heard you took in Teddy."

"Yes," she said, "he's adapted fairly well, given the circumstances."

"Harry told me that Andromeda Tonks asked you to adopt him."

She nodded. "We finalized the adoption a few days ago."

He felt a sudden rush of admiration for her at the words.

"You're brilliant. Both of you," he said warmly, "It's good for a kid to have parents-not that I don't appreciate Gran," he added quickly, "but…"

Neville realized, somewhat belatedly, that he had brought the subject back around to parents. His stomach twisted.

"I understand," Hermione said after a moment, saving him from having to finish. "I only wish Remus and Dora could have had more time with him. His full name is Theodore Remus Lupin Potter. It's a long name, I know, but we didn't want him to forget."

He ducked his head, suddenly aware that the word `forget' had struck him hard in the gut.

"Yeah," he said, quietly.

"We can talk about something else," she said gently, "I'm afraid I'm only making this harder for you."

"No," Neville said, "I'm glad you've come. It's… hard, being alone on days like this. But-I have to. They're my parents."

"I think it's extremely courageous," said Hermione, squeezing his arm lightly. "Harry and I both do."

He smiled.

"What?" she asked in puzzlement, and he laughed, unexpectedly.

"You really can't go five minutes without mentioning him, can you?"

Hermione grinned, her cheeks turning pink.

"No," she said good-naturedly, "I haven't managed it yet, anyway. I'm sure it will wear off eventually."

"You've lasted this long." Neville grinned back. "Why try?"

"Fair point," she said lightly.

He paused.

"I never did thank you," he said, "for-forcing me and Ginny to see each other again."

She smiled softly.

"You're welcome. I'm just glad you're not angry at me."

"Do you think I'm mad?" he said, looking at her, "Caring about her this much?"

She paused. "No. But I do think that you're going to have to be extraordinarily patient."

"Sometimes I try to tell myself that I should give up on her," Neville said, "but the moment I do…" he shook his head. "She drives me mad, Hermione, she really does."

"She might not be ready yet, Nev," she said, "Love can soften any heart, but it takes time. Especially with Ginny. She's been hurt more than any of us realize."

"I know," said Neville, in a low voice, "I've hurt her myself."

He knew he'd said too much then, and he was immensely glad, for once, to see the ward.

A Healer emerged from the ward-portly and neat, the Healer cast Hermione a curious glance as he greeted Neville with a warm handshake. "Your father's on his walk right now, Neville, but if you come back in a couple of hours, he should be in."

"Mrs. Potter," said the Healer, turning to Hermione, "Healer McDonough."

"I'm pleased to meet you," Hermione said, shaking hands, "I hope it's all right for me to come with Neville?"

"Of course," said the Healer, "everyone admires what you've done for those children. I used to play with them when I had the time, but I always hoped someone would do something. I never dreamed that Harry Potter would adopt them."

Hermione thanked him, accustomed to hearing Harry's name spoken with that particular tone of reverence. As they entered the ward, however, Neville turned to her with a look of embarrassment.

"Hermione," he began, but she shook her head.

"Please don't worry," she said, laughing a little, "I'm entirely used to it."

"It's still not right."

"It's fine, Neville," she said firmly, "As long as I can make a difference somewhere, it doesn't matter if the world knows me only as Harry Potter's wife."

She laughed again. "Besides, I waited so long to be Harry's wife that I don't mind hearing it every now and then."

Envy (or something close to it) dug at the pit of his stomach. As he led her down the ward, he wondered if anyone would ever feel that way about him.

They found his mother sitting by the window, but she wasn't looking at them. She didn't appear to be looking at anything, really. She had hollow eyes and an empty expression. Neville swallowed hard, and suddenly, as if he were fifteen again, his cheeks burned. Hermione's gaze was sad for a moment, but Neville never would have expected what came next.

"Hello," Hermione said, smiling at his mother, "happy anniversary, Mrs. Longbottom."

To his surprise, his mother actually heard Hermione's greeting, and turned her head.

"What a lovely day," Hermione said, taking an empty chair beside his mother, "and how many years has it been?"

"Twenty-one," Neville said hoarsely, knowing there would be no reply. There never was.

"Twenty-one?" Hermione repeated, looking genuinely impressed. "I hope Harry and I will be married that long. Look. Neville brought you flowers!"

Neville tried to hand the flowers to his mother, but she didn't move. Hermione glanced at him softly, and he realized that her eyes were glistening with tears. His throat tightened.

"Happy anniversary, Mum," he said feebly, and he turned away quickly before Hermione could see him cry. But then he heard the chair scrape against the floor, and before he knew it, Hermione was standing in front of him.

"May I?" she whispered, reaching for the flowers. Numbly nodding, he allowed her to take the bouquet of wildflowers and turned around to watch her sit back down beside Alice.

"These aren't exactly romantic flowers, are they?" Hermione said, and she knelt in front of Alice, still holding the bouquet. "I suppose we must excuse him, mustn't we? He hasn't had much practice with girls, you know."

She reached into the bouquet and pulled out a periwinkle.

"What a beautiful periwinkle," Hermione said softly, holding the delicate white flower gently. "I read a book on symbolic flowers once-I found it in Harry's dresser drawer. He gave me a bouquet based on the meanings-I found out later that your son gave him the idea."

Neville flushed when she looked back at him.

"Some flowers, like the lily, symbolize rebirth." Hermione raised a hand and moved aside a few straggly strands of Alice's prematurely white hair. "What do you suppose the periwinkle means?"

She brushed Alice's hair with a hand, astonishing Neville with her tenderness.

"The periwinkle," she said softly, fixing her eyes on Alice as she tucked the flower into Alice's hair, "is a symbol of remembrance."

Hermione stood slowly, bending to brush a gentle kiss against Alice's forehead.

"Happy anniversary, Mrs. Longbottom."

Neville had embraced her before she even turned around.

"Thank you," he choked hoarsely, "thank you-"

He realized then that she was crying too; that perhaps she had been dying to cry the entire time, and this made him weep even more.

They left the ward quietly, but the moment they were in the corridor, Neville turned to her and blurted out, "I'm sorry, Hermione, if I-shouldn't have hugged you like that-"

"It's all right," she assured him, touching his shoulder. "You're my friend, Neville."

"I know, but-"

"Hush," she said, with a faint glimmer of amusement in her eyes, "you had nothing but the most innocent intentions. I know that."

He looked away, knowing that he must have seemed very foolish, and wishing he hadn't cried-but a part of him was glad to cry, to finally show that it did hurt to have parents that couldn't recognize him. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Hermione's face. She was obviously pondering something with particular intensity, her eyes fixed ahead of them.

"Why… why did you do that?" Neville ventured to ask at last, as they began to walk back toward the lobby.

Hermione was quiet for a moment.

"Because I want to help her, Neville," she said softly, "and sometimes it's a simple act of kindness that helps the most."

"You know," he said after a long pause, "there is-one other person who visits my parents sometimes."

Hermione turned in surprise.

"Who?"

Neville paused for a moment. Then, he answered, half-smiling at the look on Hermione's face.

"Luna."

^*^*^*^

"Hello!"

"Hello, Yasmine," said Luna, smiling at her dreamily, "You look particularly full of light today. Did you have good dreams?"

Yasmine smiled. She liked Luna, and even understood her a little. For some reason, she followed Luna's flights of thought better than Katy or even Dusty.

"Yes, thank you," she said, "Did you need something?"

"No," said Luna, "but your mother does. May I see her?"

"Mama?" Yasmine stood aside, "She's in the kitchen."

"Did you open the windows?" Luna said as she floated through the front door toward the kitchen, "The Luceats are particularly bright today. It's good luck to let them in. Hello, Hermione Potter!"

"Hello, Luna," Hermione said distractedly, sliding the eggs onto a plate and handing it to Dusty. "How are you?"

"What a lovely memory," said Luna. Hermione's gaze snapped up to Luna, her eyes widening. "He certainly loves you a lot."

"Well… yes," Hermione stammered, keenly aware that all seven of her children were staring at her. "He does. I mean-won't you sit down?"

"Oh, I wasn't using Occlumency, if that's what you're afraid of," said Luna, drifting into a chair, "I could just see the kiss in your eyes."

"Can we eat outside?" said Katy. Hermione thanked the heavens for Katy's perceptiveness and gave them permission.

"Come on. Back porch, everyone!" said Jack, taking charge. They hurried out of the kitchen just in time to hear Jackie say, in a loud whisper, "Mama is all red!"

"What sweet children," said Luna, as she usually did. "It's all right, Hermione. It's nothing to be ashamed of."

"Oh, no, I'm not ashamed," Hermione said hastily, "Tea?"

"No, thank you," Luna said serenely, "I'm just here to talk about whatever you needed to talk to me about."

Hermione blinked, nearly dropping the mug of tea in disbelief.

"You really ought to open your windows," Luna commented, "it's good luck today. And since you want to have a baby-"

"Oh, right," Hermione said quickly, pushing the kitchen windows open. Luna meant well, she reminded herself firmly. "There."

"Ronald told me," said Luna, explaining without waiting for Hermione to ask. "I think it's wonderful."

"Thank you, Luna."

"I see I've unsettled you," Luna said gently, "I usually have the effect on people. But you especially."

"We just think differently," Hermione said, "you're a wonderful friend, Luna, don't ever doubt that."

"That's very kind of you," said Luna, smiling at her. "And you mean it, too, don't you? Most people don't. Ronald didn't, until last year."

"Luna," Hermione said, "you visit the Longbottoms, don't you?"

Luna sobered, her gray eyes darkening.

"Yes," she said, "It's quite sad sometimes, isn't it? It really hurts Neville, you know."

"I know," Hermione said. Luna smiled.

"I know you do," she said softly, "you wouldn't have, not before your children. But you can feel it now, can't you? That's why you care so much."

Hermione looked down.

"Your heart is softer than before," Luna said, touching her hand, "you understand."

"They're still people, Luna!" Hermione burst out, "I have to do something!"

Luna smiled.

"I work with the Department of Mysteries, you know," she said, "I think you might be one of our greatest mysteries."

Hermione stared.

"What on earth…?" she said impatiently. She felt agitated.

"Never mind," Luna said, in as brisk a tone as Hermione had ever heard her use, "You're right, you know. We mustn't give up hope."

"W-we?" Hermione stammered, slightly taken aback by her abrupt change in tone.

Luna smiled at her.

"Well, we're going to bring them back, aren't we?" she said, "That's why we're both here."

-->