Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Second Strike by gti88
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Second Strike

gti88

A/N: One ridiculously late update later, this story is getting a plot.

Chapter V: Complete Disquiet

Andromeda could not find peace in herself from that insufferable prat. Regulus had her completely confused. She vainly tried to find some hidden motive for his approach the previous day outside the Great Hall. Was she losing her mind? Did she really make a pact of civility with him?

She did not believe it. It was a bad dream. The moment she stepped into the Common Room, everything would be right back to normal...

Somewhat reassured, she made her way down the staircase, intent on crossing the said Common Room and making her way to breakfast as quickly as possible.

At least, that plan could work, had her appearance not caused an audible drop in the general hubbub of conversation and most eyes fixed on her.

"Is it true?" Jane came up to her.

Andromeda was completely befuddled. "What?"

"Is it true," Jane repeated more pointedly. "You know what I mean."

"I wish I did," Andromeda was beginning to worry. "What happened?"

She nearly panicked inside - what could possibly this be about?

"Stop playing cute," Jane sounded strangely affronted. "Everybody knows about it."

"And you stop playing games with me," her own patience wore thin. "What on earth are you referring to! Tell me, before I hex you!"

An angry Andromeda was something people tended to avoid. "Fine. You snogged Regulus yesterday. He bolted for the door after you left and nobody knew why."

Andromeda stared incredulously. "How could you possibly know what Regulus and I did? We just talked."

"That's not what he's saying apparently," Jane shook her head.

The familiar anger flared up inside Andromeda's chest. "What is he saying?" she inquired through gritted teeth.

Jane's expression betrayed a trace of fear. "Well, he's confirming the story," she breathed out quickly.

"He is a dead man," Andromeda stormed from the portrait hole.

Her morning was ruined. Mentally, she noted to herself to thank Regulus after she had ripped him limb from limb...

The shepherd's pie had certainly lost its appeal and for the first time failed to lift her spirits. The stupid boy would not exit her mind.

How could people even come up with such ludicrous stories?

Her frustration subsided for a moment - after all, this is what they tended to do with their time...

She glanced at her watch and saw the minute arrow pointing to a quarter past eight. If she was to avoid detention, now was the time to leave. The shepherd's pie, unfortunately, remained unfinished.

**

Her day did not improve as it went on. The usual appeal of Transfiguration and Charms was lost to her, as her mind continued to dwell on Regulus.

Even her professors noticed this change in her. McGonagall did not inquire about her circumstances and only gave her the odd look of concern, but Flitwick very nicely asked if she was feeling fine once class ended. She only gave him a small smile and told him in the affirmative.

After classes ended, she made her way into the library, hoping her homework would be sufficient to distract her from the day's tormenting thoughts.

Yet, the spells she was supposed to be repeating along with the necessary wand movements were much harder than usual.

Right then, in the middle of reviewing a particular cure to a hex, the object of her thoughts walked in the library. She was surprised, mostly because Regulus was certainly not a regular visitor of the literary sanctuary.

He purposefully made his way in her direction.

Her heart raced. Why would he come to her?

Regulus was visibly nervous himself as he grabbed a chair from the next table and pulled it up beside Andromeda.

"How are you doing?" he opened up the conversation awkwardly.

She was still very much untrusting of him. "Fine," she bristled. "What's it to you?"

"Nothing, nothing," he quickly said. "I just wanted to ask how you were."

"That doesn't answer my question," Andromeda maintained her sternness.

His eyes darted around everywhere, only to avoid looking at her. "Believe me, I don't want to harm you in any way. There is something else."

"There's what?" her voice began to betray the impatience she felt.

"It's too early to say right now," Regulus crossed his hands in his lap and his eyes surveyed the surroundings once more. "But trust me, I want to be your friend."

"You are acting way too weird," Andromeda finally snapped, "Get out and leave me alone!"

"Listen to me," the urgency in him grew further, "I want to help you."

"Well, I don't need your help!" she was now angry with him. "Go away!"

The rising pitch in her voice attracted annoyed looks from the surrounding tables. Seeing this, Regulus stood up.

"Fine," he said. I'll see you later."

The calmness with which he said this, unnerved Andromeda; seconds earlier, he was fidgeting nervously and the sudden composure that overtook him immediately made him unreadable.

Her inquisitive mind started probing the possible motives for his behaviour. Was he hiding something? That was a possible conclusion. The polar change in his reconciliatory behaviour, when she had received the complete opposite from him for years made her endlessly suspicious of him.

Maybe he did want to be her friend and had finally grown up to be a mature, responsible young man who would consider actually being likable to those around him.

That conclusion sounded impossibly idealistic even to her.

She considered talking to the girls about it, but she felt they would not understand any of the proceedings that had transpired any better than she did.

Her only choice, therefore, was to keep the matter quiet for now and mull it over in her mind some more. If she came up with no answers, perhaps the best way would be to confront Regulus himself and take the truth out of him forcefully if she had to.

Outside, the sun had begun to sink behind the horizon. With a slight surprise, she realized she had been in the library for nearly four hours and accomplished absolutely nothing.

Yet, the fall colours looked beautiful in the sunset, and she took the moment to ignite at least a glimmer of happiness inside her.

"Miss Potter, either make your way out of the library, or take a seat," the ever-stern voice of the grouchy librarian, Pince, startled her out of her reverie.

"Yes, ma'am," Andromeda quickly nodded and made her way into the hallway outside.

"Do take care not to loiter in this manner again," that dreaded voice accompanied her first steps down the hall.

Quickening her pace, she directed her steps towards the Gryffindor common room. As she walked, her mind became increasingly engrossed in the mystery surrounding Regulus. Not only did she have a weak spot for him, but he literally drove her mad with this new attitude...

He wanted to help her, but she did not understand how that could be at all possible, given their history. They were diametrically opposed in nearly everything and even if he could help her in some way, it would most probably be something inconsequential and superficial.

Yet, a nagging feeling could not help but acknowledge the genuineness of the urgency he communicated. She had been frosty and defensive with him, but now she doubted whether this had been the best way of responding. The voice in the back of her head told she should adapt to the new circumstances as quickly as she could.

However, to adapt, she had to make an adjustment in her attitude that she certainly did not want to engage in. More precisely, she knew the defensive tone she had with Regulus would need to disappear so that she could find out whether his motives were truly worrying, or it was just another elaborate joke he had in the works with Otto and Albus.

She could potentially gain valuable insight into what was preoccupying Regulus' mind, or alternatively, lose her dignity completely. The prospect of the former was exciting, but the latter terrified her; losing her dignity meant the equivalent of defeat and he would never let her live it down!

These thoughts carried her to the portrait of the fat lady in the distinct pink dress and once clearing the password requirement, she entered the welcoming common room.

The setting was akin to any other weeknight. Some were doing homework, others chatting about life, school, people and recent events, while a third set of people were seated around the fire, enjoying its warmth in the contrast of the chilly fall night.

Regulus was perched on the armrest of the sofa chair into which Otto had sunk and the two of them were engaged in a seemingly light-hearted conversation, devoid of any urgency and worry of the type Andromeda had seen in Regulus earlier. Otto even had just laughed at a joke his friend told him.

She decided not to remain behind too long and instead made for the staircase to the girls' dormitories. Yet, by a force unseen, her head swivelled in Regulus' direction and he caught her eye that very second. His gaze was full of his typical confidence and charm. He smiled one of those smiles at her, and she had to force herself to look away, but not before cracking a smile of her own back...what compelled her to do so, she did not know, but the walk to the staircase also felt faster than it should have been...

Andromeda slammed the door behind her. Dropping her bag at the base of the bed, she climbed atop the mattress and lay down, hoping she could relax for a little while, before sorting out the mess of thoughts her mind produced throughout the day.

Closing her eyes did not help. The same contradictions came up as before, making little sense of why he behaved in this strange way. The frustration built up inside her, and especially when something important was annoying her, she could not keep it suppressed for long.

Thankfully, Holly walked in through the door precisely at that moment.

"Andy!" the girl exclaimed. "I thought you were staying in the library for another hour!"

"No," Andromeda said snappishly. "But I do need to talk you. Now."

Holly was immediately confused. "About what? Is everything alright?"

"Yes," Andromeda reaffirmed right away, but then cocked her head, "and no."

"How do you mean?"

"It's Regulus," she replied, the frustration coming to the surface. "He's acting really weird and I cannot figure out why for the life of me!"

Holly smiled. "Puppy love, you know how it works..." she trailed off.

"No, it has nothing to do with that," Andromeda went on with urgency. "That rumour going around about him and I, it isn't true, and you know it."

"Hey, I don't know anything," Holly raised her hands to proclaim her innocence. "You know what happened there." Still, the smile did not come down from her face.

"That doesn't matter now," the other girl answered. "The point is, he tried to be nice to me back there.It is completely out of order. It's not typical of him at all. I mean, I expect some kind of joke, slur or embarrassment at my expense, but this is - "

"Stop!" Holly cut across her. "You're rambling."

Andromeda checked herself immediately, but her cheeks reddened slightly. "Sorry."

"No worries," her friend said. "Now calm down and go on."

"Well, he came into the library today again and came right up to me at my table. Then he told me something about wanting to help me, but he was really distressed. I just blew him off, just as I always do, and then he left after a few minutes. Now I come here tonight, and he's back to his normal self, laughing and joking with Otto back there on the couch. What do you make of it?" Andromeda fixed her friend with her strong gaze.

"How should I know?" Holly shrugged. "I agree, it's weird, but what can you do? He has something cooking and I doubt anyone beyond Otto or Albus even has an inkling of what goes in his head. Just let it go for now. If he wants to tell you, he will. There's no reason to worry about it yet."

"I suppose you're right," Andromeda turned over Holly's words in her mind. "I don't even know what this is about. He probably has some sick fantasy or something. If it doesn't concern me, I really shouldn't worry about it." However, the feeling of disquiet she had had all day was not completely allayed...

"Well then - "

Andromeda suddenly felt very light and just as she was sitting up on her bed, talking to Holly, darkness overcame her and she fell back on her pillow. She briefly saw Holly crashing down on the opposite end of the mattress...

She had effectively lost consciousness.

A/N: Some of you will know the show Flashforward...welcome to the magical version of the plot...;)

-->