Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Because of a Hippogriff by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Because of a Hippogriff

muggledad

Chapter 10: Oh, By the Pricking of My Thumbs

Hogwarts Lawn
1700 25 October, 1994

"…Something Wicked This Way Comes," Hermione muttered under her breath.

Harry leaned against the castle walls next to the doors of the castle, Hermione safely ensconced in his arms. The entire school was gathered to welcome the students of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang as they arrived to kick off the TriWizard Tournament.

It had been a gruelling two months in the castle for the Potters. They'd been joining runes as fast as possible. Pernicitis for agility, Fortiduo and Fortius for physical strength, Celeripes for swiftness, Acutusaum for hearing; all of these had elevated Harry and Hermione's physical abilities far above those around them.

All the while, they'd been force feeding the vast knowledge of Minerva and Filius into their brains. They were mid-way through Sixth year studies when the brother and sister had decided that the Potters would get a week off. Apparition, portkey creation and other useful spellwork were being taught in the traditional manner.

"Uhhhh," Harry moaned.

Squirming further into his embrace, Hermione teased, "Tired, lover?"

Harry chuckled, "You should know."

Her face dimpled, "I do."

Burying his face in her hair, he murmured, "I like the red and gold. You going to keep it?"

She ran her fingers through her hair. "I do believe I shall keep it. I like the colours. Your blue is trés sexy."

They both stilled as the sound of massive wings intruded on their discussion. They still weren't fully adjusted to their increased senses, so they both were startled to find their target still a speck in the sky.

Squinting out of habit, Harry murmured, "Pegasi?"

"Too big. Abraxans. Probably eight."

"Pulling the biggest damn coach I've ever seen," Harry finished.

They smiled at the wild guesses from the waiting student body.

"It's a dragon!"

"It's a flying house!"

Leaning into his wife's ear, Harry whispered, "Muggleborn. Watched The Wizard of Oz too many times." Hermione stifled laughter.

"What are you two laughing at?" the smiling Filius Flitwick asked.

"Oh, just pondering the nature of the universe."

Flitwick rolled his eyes as he turned back to the very impressive sight of the huge winged horses alighting on the lawn. Everyone was interested in the Beauxbatons students. They were witches and wizards from a foreign country, lived different lives. A curiosity for all the British students.

Harry and Hermione watched the huge Headmistress of the French school greet Dumbledore with affection. "She mustn't know him very well," Hermione commented.

Smiling in response, they couldn't help but have their eyes drawn to the ethereally beautiful young women who walked up the lawn. The elder of the two sisters, for sisters they had to be, was in her late teens while the younger was in her mid teens.

There was something about them that intrigued the Potters. The sisters were magically powerful, that was plain to Harry and Hermione. The girls' auras pulsed a bright yellow with streaks of red as they ascended the lawn. Beyond that, though, there was an air about the girls that reminded Harry of the Nymphs and Naiads in Tir na nOg. Hermione leaned back into her husband and whispered, "Do you see those two…?"

"Yep. Something different about them."

As Harry responded, the elder of the girls noticed the Potters. She stopped, stock-still and stared at Harry and Hermione. Her sister noticed her staring and looked over only to be surprised in her turn. The younger girl asked her sister a question that neither Potter could hear; it was drowned out by the chattering of the students around them.

Regaining her composure, the elder girl gave the Potters a respectful nod of acknowledgement before taking her sister's arm and escorting her into the great hall.

Supper was a noisy affair. Harry and Hermione carried on a lengthy discussion with a Beauxbatons mastery candidate, Michelle Prefontaine. Michelle was studying charms under Madame Maxime's tutelage. She was in her early twenties and sighed, "Only one more year and Madame has told me I will be fit to sit for my board. We've been sidetracked on more than one occasion with very exciting research."

Hermione had pounced on the Frenchwoman to find out all she could about the mastery process in France and what research was so exciting. Harry had been surreptitiously watching the blond students who were sitting at the Ravenclaw table. At the end of the dinner, the sisters milled about in the entrance hall.

When Harry and Hermione exited, the elder sister spoke, "Monsieur and Madame, I am Fleur Delacour and this is my sister, Gabrielle." The younger sister gave a brief curtsey. "May we impose on you for a moment to discuss a matter of great import?"

The Potters exchanged a look and shrugged. After waving to Michelle as their new friend headed to the Beauxbatons carriages, Harry led the other three to a small anteroom. When Hermione shut the door behind them all, the Potters were shocked. Both girls knelt before Harry and Hermione heads down in an oath taking stance. In a respectful low voice, Fleur vowed, "Lady of Fire and Lord of Air, we offer ourselves in your service."

Harry was stunned. Hermione voiced the thought that was buzzing in both Potters' mind, "How did you know?"

Gabrielle responded, "We are part Veela and as such we can see your auras." Turning to Hermione with a hint of a smile, the younger Delacour added, "It was a bit shocking to see you wreathed in fire."

"And you surrounded by storm clouds with lightning flashing," Fleur continued with a shy smile at Harry. Her expression became serious as she elaborated, "As part of our heritage, we have been told the old stories. We know our duty."

Harry furrowed his brow and concentrated on his wife. He jumped in surprise when it seemed that she exploded in fire. Hermione's squeak indicated when she finally saw Harry in the same way.

Shaking his head, Harry returned to the present and the two girls who were kneeling before them. "Please, stand. There is no need to kneel before us."

Hermione nodded in agreement as she explained, "We know that the Nymphs from whom you are descended pledged themselves to the Elementals and their tasks, but you need not bow before us."

The girls were shocked, "But…"

Annoyed, Harry rolled his eyes. With a thought, he caused a small rumble of thunder to echo in the room. "Please. Stop kneeling."

The girls shot to their feet.

"Thank you. Now I can tell you that our task is completely vanquish the Dark Lord Voldemort." Hermione's bald statement caused both girls to blanch.

"He isn't dead?" whispered Gabrielle.

Harry's grim-faced shake of his head caused Gabrielle to put her face in her hands while Fleur opened and closed her mouth like a landed fish.

Finally, the elder sister recovered her composure and explained, "During his last rise, the Dark Lord had a henchman in France who went by the nom de guerre of, well, I believe it translates as `the gates of death'." Fleur visibly gulped before she continued, "He terrorized France but most notable was his persecution of the magical creature population. He exterminated three Veela enclaves in our country, killing over two hundred of our kin. Including our grandmother."

"Oh, dear," murmured Hermione.

Hermione approached the girls and wrapped her arms around these two new supposed allies.

Harry frowned, the warning of The Morrigan returning to him. Hermione caught his eye over the shoulders of the girls she was embracing. She gave him a short nod to communicate her opinion of the subject. Being the Daughter of Fire, she was more closely attuned with the Veela-kind as they were descended from Fire Nymphs. Harry was grateful that his heart was clear regarding the young women in front of him. They were truthtellers who seemed to be sent by the gods to assist him and his wife.

Approaching the girls, Harry extended his hand and greeted them with his easy going smile, "I'm Harry Potter, this is my wife, Hermione. Pleased to meet you."

Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
1030 26 October 1994

"The Board has investigated the matter and reached a decision, Alastor. You are terminated as of today."

In her role as Deputy Head, Minerva stood to the right of Dumbledore behind the massive desk. Albus had summoned her an hour ago to have her review the report from the Board's hired investigator. It contained incontrovertible evidence of Moody's activities. He was lucky he wasn't being fitted for a uniform at Azkaban.

"What in bloody hell was he thinking?" she had muttered aloud.

"I have no idea. Alastor's always been an independent thinker who's acted as he saw fit, but this…" Dumbledore faded off as he contemplated the systematic use of the Imperius curse on his students. After the Winter Holidays, the parental complaints would be an avalanche.

Returning to the present, Minerva kept a close watch on Alastor's reaction. Harry and Hermione had described their observations and concerns about the old Auror. She knew that Moody was a deadly enemy and one not to be taken lightly.

Therefore, she had her wand in her hand and hidden in the folds of her skirts when Moody snarled as he reached for his own wand.

The Stunning spell and subsequent Binding spell from the Transfiguration Mistress were cast in less than a second. She didn't have the reputation of Albus Dumbledore, but she'd been trained alongside her husband who'd challenged Filius on the duelling circuits.

Circling around the desk, she kept her wand on the prone man. A silent Summoning charm caused three wands to wiggle out of Moody's bonds. A second charm brought two knives, a vial of what she could only presume was poison and a pistol.

Neatly lining up the belongings on the edge of Albus' desk, she looked back to see the old man shaking his head in disbelief. He and Moody had been friends for decades and now this?

"Albus are you going to summon the Aurors or am I?"

He recollected himself and stood briskly. After a quick Floo call to the Garrison offices, two Aurors emerged from the fire. Albus created a Portkey for them to transport their prisoner to the Ministry holding cells. With their statements in hand the two young men reached to touch the china saucer the Headmaster had enchanted where it lay on the unconscious prisoner's chest.

When Moody's face began to bulge and bubble, both Aurors jumped back like scalded cats and drew their wands. Ten seconds later Alastor Moody had become Bartemius Crouch Junior.

Completely flabbergasted, Minerva sat heavily on a chair. Staring at the unconscious `dead' man she babbled, "But where is Alastor?"

"That indeed is a very good question," answered Dumbledore. He had regained his usual preternatural equanimity. He nodded to the Aurors who portkeyed away with their prisoner. "Nob," he called in a quiet voice.

When the house elf appeared at the Headmaster's side, Dumbledore commanded, "Please go to the Defence professors quarters and search all trunks, wardrobes and other containers for a bound or otherwise entrapped person. If you find someone, immediately inform me. Do not attempt to free the person yourself."

Minerva nodded at the direction. Aloud, she murmured to herself, "What is a deep cover Death Eater doing here masquerading as Alastor Moody?"

"That, too, is a very good question," Albus responded absently. Focussing on his deputy, his face lost all geniality. "Put the Potters on their guard. This is about Harry, of that I have no doubt."

Dumbledore rose and began moving toward his private quarters, "Though they have acted like spoilt children, Harry is vital to extinguishing the threat of Voldemort. Ensure they are aware of the situation and take precautions."

He glared at her for a short moment. Minerva was sure that he was less than pleased to find that two of his heads of house were working behind his back. As such, they had most likely dropped very much in his estimation. The other evening she'd made the same observation to Filius who'd responded, "Well that's just too goddam bad. Harry and Hermione are far more important than that old goat's opinion of me."

Minerva nodded to herself and responded to Albus, "Very well." As she rose to leave, she found that she no longer cared what Albus Dumbledore's thought of her. If he held her in high regard or not was of no consequence. She found the new situation quite liberating.

Potter Quarters, Hogwarts
2030 29 October 1994

Hermione was at her desk reviewing Astral Travel and Spirit Projection. During their `off week' of study, Filius and Minerva were focussing on all types of magical travel. Harry had immediately conquered Apparition, but to Hermione's relief, he still fell when using a Portkey. Even one of his own creations left him on his butt.

"He's still human after all." She frowned to herself, "Sort of."

Harry wouldn't be back from London for another half hour or so. At the end of the previous quarter, Harry had gone over their entire investment portfolio and decided to hire an outside firm to manage their money. With their being Elementals, Goblins weren't the best choice to arrange their affairs.

Shaking off the digression, she readdressed herself to her studies. Ten minutes later she had an epiphany and the entire discipline fell into place in her mind. As she finished the chapter, she leaned back in her chair and stretched.

Glancing at the open window, she saw Aoife floating just outside the frame. The little fairy had returned on schedule after a month. Harry and Hermione had consulted with their mentors but in the end made their own decision to trust the ambassador for the fairies.

They weren't so sure about the Centaurs. Consultations with Minerva and Filius had left them undecided. They'd had a very enlightening discussion with Hagrid, though.

"Well, they're what you would call, independents, the Centaurs," Hagrid had commented as he paused from splitting firewood with a massive axe.

Confused, Hermione asked, "What do you mean?"

"Well, they don't follow anyone `cept themselves. Don't like the Ministry one bit." He chuckled, "Tol' `em all to bugger off on more than one occasion."

Overall, Harry and Hermione had a bad feeling about the Centaurs. "Let's wait and see what happens," he decided.

Hermione rose from her seat as she waved the perpetually cheerful little elf in the room through the window.

"Good even my Lady," Aoife piped.

"Good even little one."

"Are you and my Lord well?"

"Indeed we are, and you?"

They always went through every time Aoife visited them, this a little ritual.

"My clan is troubled, my Lady." This was a departure from their usual discussion.

Frowning, Hermione cleared a section of her desk so that Aoife could sit. After the blue-skinned fairy flew to the desk and sat, Hermione asked, "What troubles clan Eirhdriscoil?"

Aoife was silent, staring at her tiny hands. After gathering her thoughts, she began in a low tone that only Hermione's accelerated hearing allowed her to pick up.

"Deep in the forest, where we live, we are usually untroubled. The other beasts and beings that reside in the deep dark of the forest respect our homes and leave us in peace."

A small grin crossed her face, "We also give them good reason to leave us alone. Fairy magic is not all pixie dust and bells."

When Hermione returned her smile, Aoife giggled with laughter like silver bells in winter.

"There is something new in the Forest, though, Daughter of Fire. Something dark and old."

Hermione stilled and grew cold, afraid of what she might hear next.

"Does it have a name, Aoife?"

The little fairy shook her head decisively, but then amended, "Not that we know."

There was a long moment of quiet before Aoife continued, "It is dark and evil. It kills even when it is not hungry."

The Marduk.

"Is it moving toward the castle?"

The little fairy nodded slowly. "It is, my Lady. We need your help. You and the Son of Air can drive this evil from our homes. Please help us, my Lady."

The rush of wind through the room derailed their discussion. "Love, I'm home!" Harry called as he flew in the window. Hermione was very thankful for his presence even if he insisted on flying everywhere. Aoife, too, seemed relieved to have both her Elementals together.

"Harry, Aoife tells me that The Marduk is in the Forest. It may be moving toward the castle."

Harry's eyes narrowed as he thought. After a long moment, he began to pace. Muttering to himself as he strode from his desk to the table and back, he mentioned, "Got to stop it…bloodbath if it reached the castle…need Nemeas and Fawkes…best to wait for daytime."

Hermione interrupted his planning and mentioned, "I'll go to Minerva. Let her know what is going on and that we plan to go hunting tomorrow."

Harry nodded and sent a tendril of air to his wife. He'd become so attuned in his element that he could send basic emotions or thoughts via the air. As the wisp of warm air encircled her neck, Hermione felt his love caress her mind.

With a loving smile, she whispered, "Love you."

He gave her a wink and extended his hand for Aoife. To Hermione he elaborated, "Aoife is going to show me the general vicinity where The Marduk might be." He forestalled her objection by continuing, "I'll call for Nemeas and I won't actually land. I'm just going to carry this pretty lady," Harry winked at Aoife, "So we can go a bit faster."

Hermione smiled, Harry was constantly flirting with Aoife. The little fairy giggled like a schoolgirl every time Harry mentioned how pretty she was.

Moving to the window, Harry turned back with a serious expression, "We should find the Delacours and Neville. They need to be on guard, as well."

"I'll find Neville and Dora; you catch up the Delacours on the way back from your quick reconnaissance."

Harry smiled at her not-so-subtle hint. "As you wish."

She smiled at his reference before leaving their rooms.

"Well, Lady Aoife, shall we?"

.oOo.

With Nemeas soaring off to his left, Harry had tucked Aoife into the collar of his shirt to leave his hands free as they skimmed across the treetops of the Forest. They'd been searching the deeper reaches of the Forest for twenty minutes and not seen any movement.

That was very unusual. Harry's flight was noiseless so he wouldn't drive away any of the animals, magical or mundane. For a forest as large and old as the Forbidden Forest of Hogwarts to be motionless at ten PM was very strange, indeed.

"Must be The Marduk," he muttered to himself.

It made sense; a high order predator like the demonic murderer that Voldemort had sent after his enemies would drive all creatures to their burrows, warrens and dens. All creatures, predator and prey, were probably hoping to be unnoticed this evening.

Pulling up, he looped over to where Nemeas was gliding over a section of the forest. Flying even with his friend, Harry asked, "Find anything?"

The Golden Griffin met Harry's eye and using their odd mental connection, Harry understood that Nemeas had seen nothing.

"Crap," Harry muttered. After a sigh, he told Nemeas and Aoife, "We're not going to find anything tonight. We'll start the hunt again tomorrow at dawn."

Nemeas screeched in defiance. He hadn't had a good scrap in a while and was sporting for a fight. Harry smiled in return, reiterating, "Tomorrow, my friend. I'm going to take Aoife home. At dawn, I'll see you at the large clearing where we met the Centaur. Could you find Fawkes and tell him to be there as well?"

Nemeas gave Harry a grumbling roar before peeling off in a wheeling turn. Harry headed north, following Aoife's directions. After five minutes flight, he alit in the branches of a tall dead tree.

"We live here, my Lord," Aoife informed her Elemental.

Harry looked down and saw through cracks and holes in the huge hollow oak. Inside, he saw the distinctive blue glow the Fairies emitted.

"Would you like to meet mine father, our clan overlord?"

"I would be honoured, Lady Aoife."

A moment or two later, Aoife returned with her father. Where Aoife's features were decidedly feminine with her dainty bosom, long hair and cute face, her father, Conor, had a miniscule beard and short hair. Wearing a blue checked kilt, his bare chest was criss-crossed with scars and he wore a small sword at his side.

Pulling up into a hover in front of Harry, Conor greeted him, "My Lord. I, Conor, overlord of clan Eirhdriscoil and father of Aoife, greet you Son of Air. I thank you for your assistance in our time of need. My daughter has informed me of your deeds and my clan is in your debt."

A bit taken aback by the effusive greeting, Harry countered, "Well, we haven't done anything, yet."

Conor frowned, looked to his daughter and back at Harry. "Did you not display your power and authority by claiming the Forest this even? Did you not fly over all, displaying yourself, your avatar the Lord Nemeas all the while show all creatures of the Fae that mine daughter was under your protection?"

More confused than ever, Harry burbled, "Well, I suppose…I just flew about a bit. See, we were looking for The Marduk."

Conor frowned at the name `The Marduk', but pressed his earlier point, "My Lord, all creatures of the Fae felt your return from the Undying Lands. The daughters of the Nymphs that reside at the castle, the new threat that you hunt; we felt all this. All creatures of the Fae now know that we are under your shield and I am thankful," Conor finished with a kneeling motion that looked a bit odd as he was hovering in the air.

A bit bemused, Harry responded, "Glad to help."

Conor straightened and hovered silently.

Harry finally gathered they were awaiting instruction or dismissal. "Could you tell me more about the threat to your home here," he indicated the tree below them.

Conor scowled, "It is an abhomination. Its head is topped with fire and it kills without hesitation or need. It renders its prey with bare hands and leaves the offal and other remains spread about like a charnel house." Shaking his head is disbelief and disgust, Conor finished, "It is a horror on two legs."

Harry nodded, nothing new, but it sure seemed like The Marduk was in the Forest. Bowing to the two Fairies, Harry made his farewells before shooting in the air.

.oOo.

As Harry landed near the Beauxbatons carriages, he saw Hermione striding down the lawn, Nymphadora and Neville in tow. He waited for the little entourage, so together they approached the huge carriage that held the Beauxbatons School.

Harry's sharp rap on the door was answered by Michelle Prefontaine, the Potters' new friend and mastery candidate under Madame Maxime.

"Bon nuit, Michelle," Hermione greeted. When the Frenchwoman smiled in return, Hermione asked, "We need to see Fleur and Gabrielle Delacour. Are they available?"

Michelle had a confused expression but responded, "I'm unsure. Let me check."

After the door closed, Nymphadora asked Harry, "What's going on Air-boy?"

Harry did a double take at the humorous nickname before responding, "Bad guy in the Forest."

Nymphadora rolled her eyes before snorting, "Well, thank Merlin we have you here to tell us that. I wouldn't have ever figured that out by myself."

The rest chuckled as the door opened, revealing the Delacour sisters.

After a quick summary by Harry, everyone was up to date. "I wanted you four," he motioned to the Delacours, Neville and Nymphadora, "To be aware. If what our Fairy friends tell us is true, The Marduk is well aware that all of us are in or near the castle. You'll need to be on your guard."

He paused, collecting his thoughts. Looking from one to the other, he held each of the four's attention, "Do not fight it. Run as fast as you can, because you will not win. It will destroy you."

When Nymphadora huffed, Harry instantly summoned a hurricane wind studded with lightning. It vanished as suddenly as it appeared, leaving the others flabbergasted at his small display of power. "Together, Hermione and I have not destroyed this demon. What chance do you have? It's no shame to run from a superior force. Run to the castle. If it's in the castle, run to the carriages," he indicated to the Beauxbatons schoolhouse.

Suitably cowed, the foursome nodded. Hermione was stroking her chin in thought. After a long moment, she announced, "I'll come up with a warning method. Something discreet, yet still clear. Give me a few days and I'll get back to you."

Fleur interrupted, "I have an idea. We could use…" Thus began a discussion between Fleur and Hermione that ended with adopting Fleur's plan of using the Protean charm to modify small slate boards that would communicate short messages to the others tied to it. Fleur volunteered to enchant the `Message Boards' as there were dubbed.

They were about to break up their late night meeting when Gabrielle asked, "Should we tell Madame Maxime about Its approach?"

There was no doubt what `It' was, but the question posed a tricky situation. They had an obligation to warn the three schools present so they could take precautions. At the same time, warning the schools brought Dumbledore back into the orbit of the Potters.

"Rats," muttered Harry as he bowed to the inevitable. Giving Fleur and Gabrielle a nod, he affirmed, "Tell her so Beauxbatons can be on their guard. We'll," he nodded to Hermione, "Tell Hogwarts who'll pass the word to Durmstrang."

The blond girls hurried into their carriage. Harry draped his arm over Hermione's shoulders as the foursome meandered up the lawn to the castle. "I really don't want to deal with Grandpa Whiskers," Harry whinged.

Hermione smiled while Nymphadora snickered. Neville was a little left out of the joke, but smiled, nonetheless. Hermione rejoined, "We'll tell Minerva and let her sort out the old man."

Harry sighed in an exaggerated fashion, "Thank the gods I have you to be smart for me," which caused more chuckles.

When they reached the staircases, Harry caught up Neville by the shoulder, "No heroics, Nev. If it comes for you, I want you to run. You can't beat this thing." When Neville's jaw set in determination, Harry finished, "You can't beat it - yet - that is."

Patting the young man on the back, he nodded to Nymphadora and bade them good night.

Clearing in the Forbidden Forest
30 October 1994, 0515

The sun peeked through the branches of the Forest as Harry and Hermione trudged their way through the underbrush toward their rendezvous point with their elemental companions. They'd come up with a workable search plan. Since the forest was thousands of hectares in size, they were going to search the area that was on a line from the Fairies home to the castle.

They were assuming, of course, that The Marduk was coming to the castle. If it was heading somewhere else or not on a direct course, then there wasn't much of a chance they'd ever find it. After they downed their brief breakfast, Hermione had offered, "I hope to Lady Brigid that The Marduk isn't smart enough to loop around the direct course to the castle. We'll never find it out there if it does that."

Harry had nodded solemnly as they headed out.

Hermione was to proceed on foot with Fawkes always within visual range. The Creature of Fire was the ultimate weapon against the demon. His song was demonstrated to drive The Marduk away, while Hermione could contain it for short periods of time. With Hermione being earthbound, unlike Harry, Fawkes would always be nearby to protect the Daughter of Air or provide an avenue of escape.

Hermione wasn't too sure that she needed much protection, but Harry's protectiveness did warm her heart a bit. She'd learned a lot from their last encounter with the beast that had stalked and hunted them for far too long.

Harry and Nemeas were to conduct a low altitude search of the forest. Harry didn't have much hope of finding their prey while airborne. He intended on landing every so often and conducting magical searches. With luck, he might find a trail their quarry left behind.

Grimacing to himself, he reiterated, With a lot of luck, I might find one.

They'd woken Minerva last night before retiring. She'd accepted the news stoically and promised that all outdoor activities and lessons would be cancelled and the castle locked down until they got further word.

When the topic of Dumbledore was brought up by Hermione, the old Scot snorted, "Let me deal with that supercilious bastard. I've wanted to tell him where to get off for quite some time now."

Entering the clearing, the Potters were greeted by the loud screeching roar of Nemeas coupled with the melodious trilling of Fawkes.

Harry smiled while Hermione called out for her Avatar. "Hey, guys," Harry greeted. Fawkes soared to his Lady and alit on her shoulder.

Harry caught Hermione's eye and with a hint of worry, entreated her, "Be careful. If you need me, do that volcano thing you do. I'll be there before you know it."

She kissed him softly in response. With an impish smile, she took off into the Forest at a run, her long strides eating up the distance.

Harry sighed to himself as Fawkes followed Hermione. Watching her until she disappeared in the foliage, Harry turned to his friend and said, "Well, old man. What do you say we pick a fight with a demon and kick his ass?"

Nemeas' full-throated roar shook the forest, causing Harry to smile. "Let's go." Together, they took to the skies.

.oOo.

"Crap."

Harry landed in the clearing just as the sun was going down. It had been a long, fruitless, frustrating and tiring day. Silently, Nemeas landed next to him. Harry caressed he friend; rubbing behind his wing joint and stroking the massive creature's gullet. "Maybe Hermione had better luck," he told the Griffin.

A flash of fire in the centre of the clearing caused Harry to spin around, on his guard. He instantly recognized the fire as Fawkes bearing Hermione. Her grumpy expression told him that she had the same success as he did.

"Nothing?"

"Nope."

She ambled over to him, her arms scratched from brambles and a few small branches entangled in her hair. Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out a shrunken picnic and another crate. Resizing the picnic basked, he handed it to Hermione who conjured a small table and chairs for them.

Harry resized the crate. Reaching in, he pulled out a bundle of myrrh and tossed it in the air for Fawkes. The Phoenix trilled in thanks as he caught it mid air. Harry levitated the crate to the far side of the clearing. Nemeas liked his steaks raw so Harry put them far from their own dinner. Nemeas was great, but a rather disgusting eater.

Once he'd taken care of their companions, he turned back to his wife and saw a dinner of plain, but filling fare on the table. After thanking the gods for their sustenance, they dug into their dinner. Catching up between bites, it became clear to Hermione that Harry had just as frustrating day as she had.

"I shouldn't say that I saw `nothing'," she corrected. "I saw a ton of animals, just no demons."

"Me too," he agreed after quaffing his goblet.

In the face of their hunger, the dinner was demolished in short order. Hermione conjured a quill and parchment to write her negative report for Minerva. Calling Fawkes over, she tied the missive to his leg.

"If Minnie is with the old man, he's going to stroke when he sees Fawkes."

With a slight smile, she replied, "And that would just be a horrible thing, wouldn't it." Her face was illuminated in the growing dark by the fire of Fawkes flashing away.

Harry leaned back in his chair, his rune-improved vision allowing him to see in the falling dark. Hermione scooted her chair around next to his in order to lay her head on his shoulder.

They were silent as they watched Nemeas settle down after his meal. The sun dipped and the voice of the Forest spoke. Crickets sounded, the underbrush rustled and there was the occasional crash from a far away large animal.

The Potters drowsed until a whisper of nearby movement brought them alert. Neither moved as the Forest became silent, but their eyes searched as their ears strained for more noise of movement.

"It's off to the left," Hermione whispered.

"Um-hm," Harry agreed.

Footsteps were now plainly heard by the couple. Oddly, they weren't the shambling footsteps of The Marduk. This tread was smooth and even - a human.

"Now," Harry whispered.

They both jumped to their feet. Hermione's hands were surrounded by plasma while lightning arced from Harry's hands. Neither loosed their power, they merely gaped at their visitor.

"Ron?"

.oOo.

The creature that had been Ron Weasley stood ten feet away from the Potters. His clothes were disgusting. Ripped and torn from living and feeding in the forest, they were covered in dried blood and gore. His face was covered in more dried blood while his ginger hair stood up. From a distance, it could be mistaken for flames.

Harry and Hermione knew that Ron had been Turned at the Quidditch World Cup. The whole kingdom knew it. Still, it was stunning and rather unnerving to see the creature that was once their close friend in front of them. Silently, it regarded them through hooded eyes.

None of them moved. Harry and Hermione knew that Fledgling Vampires were almost as strong as the Old ones and were lethal enemies. The monster who wore Ron Weasley's face would wreak havoc in the school. He could easily kill a quarter of the school in an evening.

Hermione slowly closed her eyes, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I'm sorry Ron."

With a snarl, it sprinted across the distance to take Hermione in its grasp.

It wasn't fast enough.

With a thought, Hermione created an inferno that consumed the Vampire. In the blink of an eye, Ron Weasley's mortal remains were consumed in a crematory fire.

Harry moved to his wife's side, wrapping his arms around her as she cried. Ron had been a bit of a prat, but he'd been their friend. Harry and Hermione had been so very friendless in their youth that no matter what Ron had done, he would always be their friend on some level. Someone they had cared for greatly. A friend to mourn.

Hermione leaned into her husband as the ashes of the Vampire scattered in the early evening wind. "You did the right thing," Harry reassured her. "Ron Weasley died at the World Cup. This thing was merely moving around his body. Ron is long gone."

She nodded as she wiped tears from her cheeks. "Do you think that this is what the Fairies saw in the Forest?"

"I do. Its appearance alone met Conor's description."

"Yeah. Minerva will be happy."

"Come on, let's head back," he tugged at her arm and led her back to the forest, the ashes cooling and scattering to the four winds behind them. It was not to be the last monster they would battle in the next year.

Great Hall, Hogwarts
31 October 1994 0730

"Good morning, Minerva."

The strained face of Minerva McGonagall rose to the greeting. Harry and Hermione were shocked to see a tear in the corner of Minerva's eye.

"Good morning, you two."

Hermione slid into the seat next to her Mistress. Leaning in she softly asked, "Are you well?"

After a prolonged sigh, Minerva answered, "Physically, I'm a bit tired. I slept poorly last night." Turning to the Potters, she informed them, "I told the Weasley's last night about Ronald."

"It went badly?"

She shook her head gently, "No, not really. There were no histrionics. Molly softly wept in Arthur's arms while the boys and Ginerva were silent. I suppose that it was shock."

Harry and Hermione were quiet for they too mourned their friend.

"So, the champion selection tonight?" Harry asked, changing the topic.

"Yes. I don't know what possessed Albus to push for reinstatement of this ludicrously dangerous exhibition."

Hermione nodded and offered, "International cooperation?"

Minerva wagged her head before grudgingly conceding, "Possibly."

.oOo.

Hermione handed Harry a set of fancy robes to wear to the dinner feast. "Not only is it Halloween, but it's the TriWizard feast, too."

Grudgingly, Harry cleaned up and dressed. They had finally completed the Sixth year material and were moving into Seventh year. The sense of satisfaction was great, but it was still very uncomfortable for them to assimilate the memories. "Will this headache ever stop?" he whined.

Gently patting his cheek, Hermione smiled and teased, "My poor husband. Is big bad Filius picking on you?"

"He is!"

Laughter was her only response.

"Get dressed you big baby. Gabrielle says that Fleur will most likely be chosen for Beauxbatons and we need to be there for her." Harry nodded as he pulled the robes over his head. They'd become fond of the part-Veela girls. They were very bright and had a wicked sense of humour. More than once the ladies had teamed up on Harry leaving him on the receiving end of their teasing.

"Thank goodness we don't have to deal with this. Only students of the eligible schools can compete." Hermione straightened his collar before giving him a quick kiss. "Though, I think you could compete and win."

He smiled at her, "Yeah, but who needs `eternal glory' from this tournament. Name me one TriWizard champion."

"Point. Come on, I'm hungry."

.oOo.

Something was wrong. Harry scanned the Great Hall but saw nothing out of place. The feast was winding down as Dumbledore started to stand. Harry leaned over to Hermione and whispered, "Something's wrong."

She nodded and replied, "I know."

"What is it?"

She shook her head in frustration. Catching Minerva's eye, she mouthed, "Beware."

Minerva's eyes flared as she turned to Filius to pass the message. The Brother and Sister scanned the Hall, their wands surreptitiously drawn.

Dumbledore finished his grandiose speech, but the Potters heard none of it. Harry was downright antsy now. He fidgeted in his seat as he muttered, "This is gonna be bad."

"The Champion for Hogwarts is Cedric Diggory!"

Raucous applause and cheering from the Hufflepuff table filled the Hall. Hermione and Harry ignored it. Every sense they possessed was screaming `DANGER!' Hermione caught Nymphadora's eye before scribbling on her Message Board, Something is wrong. Be on your guard.

Nymphadora read the message, which prompted her to draw her wand and elbow Neville. After he read the message, he too drew his wand.

"The Champion for Durmstrang is Viktor Krum!"

The Great Hall again filled with applause. Fleur and Gabrielle pulled out their Message Boards to read Hermione's warning. In a flash, both girls drew their wands; Fleur's left hand glowed slightly with Veela fire.

"The Champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour!"

More applause. Fleur extinguished the nascent fireball in her off hand as she stood. Still carrying her wand, she moved to the front of the hall. Scanning the seated students and staff as she progressed, Fleur's beautiful looks were twisted into a scowl of distrust.

Unnoticed by the Potters, the Goblet flared again, disgorging a scrap of parchment. Dumbledore caught it deftly. In a disbelieving voice he called out, "Neville Longbottom!"

Silence ruled the hall. Before anyone could react with cheer or jeer, Harry and Hermione stood. Harry's hands crackled with lightning while the Living Flame erupted from Hermione's hands. Every bone in their immortal Elemental bodies screamed that The Danger was outside the doors.

CRASH!

The doors to the Great Hall were shattered from the outside. With a shambling gait, The Marduk entered the Great Hall.

.oOo.

Without hesitation, lightning lanced from Harry's hands over the heads of the seated students.

"DOWN!" screamed Hermione with a Sonorous charm assisted voice. As the students crawled under their tables, Harry took to the air. He had The Marduk on the defence and kept hammering it with lightning. Streaking over the now empty tables, he called out for Nemeas.

"FAWKES!" In a flash, the Creature of Fire arrived on Hermione's shoulder. A heartbeat later, he carried Hermione to the end of the hall.

The demon was shaking under the lightning assault, but not retreating. Hermione arrived to its left and gathered her forces. Fire is the release of elemental bonding energy of the fuel source. The more efficient the release of energy, the hotter the fire. In theory, the most efficient fire releases pure energy. High concentrations of pure energy are commonly known as plasma.

Hermione concentrated causing balls of plasma to coalesce in her hands. With a thought, she loosed the raw energy at the demon.

For a split second, The Marduk laughed, it was very familiar with fire. The laughs turned to shrieks of pain as it began to burn. Its black skin began to scorch and bubble, sloughing off in chunks.

The screams of the demon were heard over the crack and metallic crash of the living electricity with which Harry attacked the demon. The Son of Air was halfway down the length of the Great Hall when he summoned a gale force wind that swept the demon out of the hall and around the corner.

Hermione ran out the door in pursuit of their quarry. For too long they had been harried, hunted and stalked by this minion of Voldemort. Now it was time to end it. Again, balls of plasma engulfed the demon, knocking it out the doors to tumble down the lawn.

A screeching roar announced the arrival of Nemeas. The immortal creature of Air pounced on the wounded and weakened demon. Rending with beak, talon and claw, Nemeas tore into the demon's flesh. Some magic inherent to the Griffin's nature tore through the defences of The Marduk and its screams intensified. Green blood flew in the air.

Sensing victory, Nemeas redoubled his attack.

"Nemeas!"

Without looking, the Griffin took to the air, he knew the voice and the air brought the command of his lord and master.

The wounded demon looked toward the voice and saw its destruction.

Harry hovered twenty yards away from Sumerian Death Demon. He reached his hands to the sky and concentrated with all his might. After their last encounter with The Marduk, Harry and Hermione had come up with an idea that they could use as a killing blow.

He compressed a section of air and shaped it into a blade. The air was so dense and sharp that it would cut plate steel like a hot knife in butter. For an instant, the blade of air was visible over Harry's head. With a guttural cry, Harry brought the blade down with all the force he could muster on The Marduk's head.

For a heartbeat, nothing happened, then slowly, oh so slowly, the cloven head of the demon slipped from its shoulders.

Dropping to the ground, Harry panted from his exertions. Hermione ran up to his side, placing her hand on his back.

"You Ok?"

"Yeah. Bit tired, though." Giving her a jaunty wink, he asked, "Take care of the trash tonight, love?"

She smiled and turned her attention to the demon's corpse. Her eyes narrowed and The Marduk's robes burst into flame. Within seconds, the fire burned white hot, incinerating the body.

Helping her husband to his feet, Hermione turned around toward the castle. "Oh, dear," she muttered.

"What?"

She nodded in the direction of the front doors, causing Harry to turn. "Crap," he muttered.

Albus Dumbledore stood at the head of the entire three schools gaping at the Elemental couple. His expression was a combination of stunned awe and calculation.

A/N

1. I own nothing.

2. As usual, the status of all my stories is updated weekly on the muggledad fanfiction (dot) net homepage.

3. I've posted this on my homepage and responded to reviews also, but wanted to say this here. I will not have Harry & multiple partners in any of my fics. Fleur and Gabrielle's pledge was that of their magical and martial might - not marital. `

4. Yes, I know that in canon the other schools arrived on the 30th of October. I intentionally moved them up to give some `get acquainted time' for the Potters and Delacours.

5. One thing that always bothered me was that there was no backlash in GOF from Moody/Crouch's use of the Imperius on the students. As a parent, I would have been insane with fury had that happened to my kids.

6. Traditionally, Dryads are nature spirits who live in trees. Naiads are nature spirits who live in bodies of water, great and small. Nymphs are female spirits associated with specific locations, of which Dryads and Naiads are a type of Nymph. The `Fire Nymph' mentioned regarding the ancestry of the Veela was an invention of mine. It's somewhat plausible given the minor elemental power of the Veela and fire.

7. Sorry, I forgot the recommendation from last chapter, so you get two here. His Own Man by Crunchysunrises and Harry Potter and the Champion's Champion by Driftwood1965. His Own Man is a great time travel story while Champion's Champion makes me laugh so hard tears run down my face. I wish I could write comedy like that.

-->