Unofficial Portkey Archive

Original Sin by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Original Sin

TheGreatFox2000

I'm glad to see more people liked the latest chapter than the first one, it means I'm improving. I actually think I know where I want to go with this story...and I think I'm digging myself into a hole here. I'm now pleading the fifth.

Enjoy!

---------------

The subsequent days, weeks, and months passed in a haze for Harry. Time blurred together and his work was getting sloppy...especially after Ron had returned from his trip. He could no longer go over and see Hermione, or watch a movie with her, or feel the baby start to kick after she began showing. Although spending time with his three-year old son made him feel like there was nothing wrong with the world, Ginny usually ended his bliss with a complaint about one thing or another.

It was a late night at the Auror office, and Harry's desk lamp was the only light on the floor, casting a soft, golden glow over the darkened cubicles. In the distance, Harry heard the ping of the lift, and continued with his work as a long figure stepped through the door to the offices and headed for him.

"You're working awfully hard these days, Harry," a soft, but deep voice said.

"I wasn't aware that my work was special enough to merit a visit from the minister," he quipped, with a slight smile. Kingsley grinned at him and pulled up a chair to sit down.

"Can't a friend stop by and see how you're doing?" he asked. "And your family."

"We're all fine," nodded Harry. "How's Teddy?"

"I haven't been home as much as I'd like," sighed Kingsley. After the death of Remus and Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt had adopted their newborn son, much to the surprise of some. The two were inseparable though.

"I know the feeling," said Harry, though he wasn't entirely commenting on Ginny and James.

"I must admit, my visit down here does have a purpose," said Kingsley, and Harry thought he was somewhat hesitant.

"Yes?"

"A matter of national security has come up," he said.

"What kind of 'matter'?"

"There is an underground ring of usurpers who have been carrying out horrifying attacks lately, and not just in Great Britain," said Kingsley, fishing in his robes for something. "Although we're not positive, we believe this to be the leader of the organization."

He held out a photograph and Harry's grip on the picture tightened when he saw who it was.

"Fenrir Greyback escaped from Azkaban two months ago," continued Kingsley. "His escape has been kept extremely quiet, since we don't want to create a mass panic."

"Of course," muttered Harry, placing the picture on his desk.

"This picture was taken just outside the South Kensington train station," said Kingsley, "We've been doing our best to catch him, but the International Confederation of Wizards feels that we're slacking a bit and need to act now."

"Standard politics," nodded Harry.

"After a lot of careful research and some help from the Unspeakables, we believe to know the location of their headquarters," he continued. "I want you to lead the raid."

"Me?" asked Harry, with some skepticism. "I've only been working here for three years."

"You fought against him," Kingsley pointed out. "You know what kind of man he is, firsthand. More than that...I wanted to give you the opportunity to capture Remus'...imprisoner."

"When would I be leaving?" asked Harry, staring at the picture of the werewolf.

"Two days," said Kingsley. "We need to move fast before they change locations."

"I understand," nodded Harry. "My team?"

"Eight people of your choice," he replied. "Five people to go along on the attack with you, two reconnaissance, and one to run point from the mobile headquarters."

"I'll give you my picks by tomorrow," said Harry. "And I can choose anyone? Even if they're out on assignment."

"Yes, this situation has the highest priority," nodded Kingsley. "Though I think you should refrain from choosing Ron...what with his wife being due in a few days and all."

"Yes, of course," nodded Harry, absent-mindedly.

"Are you alright?" he asked. "You seem a bit...preoccupied."

The truth was that Harry had been a wreck...with Hermione so close to giving birth to his first daughter, he had almost missed it when Ginny had told him a week ago that she was a couple months along with their second. He was thankful for the assignment...he needed some good field work to clear his head before he went mad.

"I'm fine," he lied. "Just a bit knackered."

"Go home and get some rest," said Kingsley. "And take tomorrow off...just owl me your choices. I want you fully rested when the operation starts."

"Thank you, sir," nodded Harry.

=====

Fate, however, was not planning on letting Harry rest anytime soon.

"Bloody hell," muttered Ron, jamming in numbers on the telly while Hermione cursed at him from the background.

The ringing of the phone woke Harry from his uneasy sleep, and he fumbled around in the darkness before finally grabbing hold of the receiver.

"Hello?" he yawned.

"Mate, it's Hermione, she's going into labor!" exclaimed Ron. "She wants you and Ginny there if possible."

"We'll be right there," said Harry, hanging up the phone.

"What's going on?" asked Ginny sleepily.

"Hermione's gone into labor," replied Harry, getting out of bed and throwing on his bathrobe. "We should go...I'll get James."

"Do we have to?" she groaned, turning over.

"Yes," said Harry with such finality that Ginny sat up in bed and made no further protest.

They arrived at St. Mungo's ten minutes later and found Ron pacing back and forth in the waiting room.

"Where is she?" asked Harry as he and Ginny strode up to him.

"She's already in the back...I just wanted to wait for you guys."

"Why?" asked Ginny.

"I...I'm a bit uneasy about these things," admitted Ron. "The blood and guts....yech."

"Come on," said Harry, striding past his friend.

"Sir, you can't come back here," one of the healers said, blocking him.

"Do you know who I am?" asked Harry, pushing his bangs back angrily, not caring about using his fame to get what he wanted this once.

"Oh...I'm terribly sorry, Mr. Potter, but rules are rules -"

"I don't care about the bloody rules," he said. "Our friend needs us."

"Very well," the healer said. "Go on."

"What room is she in?" Harry asked Ron.

That question did not require an answer, however, as a moment later Hermione could be heard screaming at the top of her lungs, "Ronald Weasley get your scrawny arse in here this insant!"

The three of them quickly rushed to the source of the yell and found Hermione laying in a bed surrounded by three healers, all holding various instruments.

"Where the bloody hell have you been?" she spat.

"I was waiting for Harry and Gin," he said apologetically.

"Goddamnit all," groaned Hermione as a contraction hit her.

"We're just about ready to go," one of the healers said. "Give me a big push...now!"

"We'll wait outside," said Ginny, taking Harry's hand and leading him out of the room.

"Guys," said Ron hesitantly, but they were already gone.

Outside in the waiting room, Harry was staring at Ginny, who was holding James over her shoulder.

"Why'd you pull me out of there like that?" he asked.

"I didn't want to wake him up with her screaming," said Ginny, sitting their son down softly in a chair. Harry admitted that she had a point. "Come on, it's not a pretty sight anyway."

"I suppose," said Harry, not wanting to divulge the fact that he desperately wanted to be in there with Hermione.

They waited in silence for about fifteen minutes when Ron came walking out of the back looking a bit frazzled, but relieved.

"Everything's alright," he smiled, before either Harry or Ginny could say anything. "You all can come on back."

They followed Ron back to the room where Hermione was laying in the bed cradling her daughter.

"Not bad eh," smiled Ron.

"You are lucky the labor was so fast Ronald or I would never forgive you for your antics tonight," said Hermione, not even looking up at him.

"You two will be the godparents, right?" asked Ron.

"Of course," nodded Harry and Ginny.

"Right then," smiled Ron. "I think I'm going to run down to the cafeteria to grab a bite...do you want something luv?"

"No," said Hermione softly, still staring at her daughter.

"I'll join you," said Ginny. "You coming Harry?"

"I'll stay with Hermione for a bit," he said. "So she has some company."

"Thanks, mate," smiled Ron, clapping him on the back as he and Ginny left the room.

"We'll give you a little while alone with your daughter, Mrs. Weasley, but you should really get some sleep," said one of the healers.

"I'll be fine," said Hermione, smiling for the first time that evening. The healers left the room and Harry pulled up a chair next to the bed and sat down.

"Thank god she doesn't have my eyes," he whispered, once the door had closed.

"I think she got your mother's hair," said Hermione. "It's a bit darker than the Weasley brand."

"She got my mother's hair, and hopefully everything else from you," smiled Harry. Rose opened her bright brown eyes and looked tiredly at Harry. "I'm never going to get this opportunity again," he said, standing up and kissing the baby on the forehead. "I love you so very much, my daughter. Don't even doubt that for a minute."

"Harry," whispered Hermione, taking his hand and giving it a light squeeze.

"I should tell you now, I took an assignment that will keep me away from here for a little while," said Harry. "No more than a week, though."

"It'll probably be good to have some separation time," nodded Hermione. "Thank you for being here for this."

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world," he said. "We'll probably never be able to tell her, you know."

"I know," said Hermione, looking at the child in her arms. "But at least no matter what happens, we'll always have her as a bond that can never be broken."

"Never," nodded Harry, giving Hermione a quick kiss on the lips.

---------------

I know this chapter is really short, but I couldn't bring myself to write more with such a great ending right there. I have a fairly big decision to make on whether or not to continue this story...I know where I'd take it but I'm not sure I want to write something of that length with school around the corner. I might put this on hiatus and come back to it...not sure. Any ideas would be appreciated. Hope you liked it!