Unofficial Portkey Archive

Magical Reunion by alayneni
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Magical Reunion

alayneni

An: Hope you enjoy this chapter.

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter

Chapter 13 -

Danny sat in the security room staring at the cameras again. It was quite boring and he was wishing for some action. Sam was out showing one of her whales Las Vegas and Mike, Mary and Delinda had gone off with that Hogwarts group to play paintball. Ed had some business matters to take care of and was out for the day. That left Danny in charge and he still had absolutely nothing to do.

He got up from his seat and headed through the door. He thought maybe being on the floor might be a bit better. He pushed through the door on to the very empty casino floor. The hotel was supposedly booked out but all their guests had gone off to different functions. There was a big event being held at the MGM Grant and the hotel couldn't fit everyone thus a lot of the other hotels were booked out with participants for that event.

Danny hated the quiet. There were only a few old ladies at slot machines and a few other people at the poker tables. It was bad, but right around now Danny was desperately wishing for some sort of robbery attempt, something to liven up life.

Danny reached the reception area in time to see the bus with Mary pull up. She was seated in the front next to Delinda and the blonde was looking livid. She was the first off the bus and went flying past Danny towards Mystique. Mary walked up to him and he smiled at her.

"What's up with her?" Danny asked indicating to the blonde who had just cut off two ladies to get into the restaurant.

"She lost." Mary said simply.

"You won again." Danny said proudly.

"No," Mary said as her face fell.

"One of them won." Danny said as she looked back at the bus in time to see Hermione coming through the doors a bit angrily.

"Yes Lavender won." Mary said bringing Danny's attention back to her. She had noticed that his gazed wondered a bit.

"Lavender?" Danny questioned.

"The one in the shocking pink outfit." Mary said

Danny returned his gaze outside and scanned the passengers disembarking the bus. As if summoned, Lavender appeared at the door to the bus. Danny took a few minutes to admire her physique before Mary slapped him on the arm.

"Ow, what was that for?" Danny said as he rubbed the area that Mary had slapped.

"You know what that was for." She said sternly.

"How did she win? I mean with that outfit any male within 50 feet would have been on her faster than … ow. Would you stop hitting me Mary? I was just stating a fact." Danny wined.

"Fine! I will leave you to gawk at her. I have got to get changed for tonight's pool party." Mary said

"Pool party?" Danny questioned

"Yes don't you read the roster of events Danny. There is a pool party tonight for the reunion." Mary said exasperatedly

"Can I come?" Danny asked

"Aren't you on duty?" Mary asked

"Sort of, but there is nothing going on here." Danny said

"I thought you wanted some peace and quiet around here." Mary said

"Yeah but not like this. This is dead quiet. A few attempts at robbing a slot machine would be welcomed." Danny said

"Danny, the next time you wish for some peace and quiet, I am going to remind you about this conversation." She said before she turned around and headed to the elevators.

Danny watched her go, as she reached the elevators he noticed that Harry and Draco were already standing in front of the elevators. Harry greeted Mary with a kiss to the cheek. Anger flared through Danny and he briefly clenched his fist to try and get control of his emotions. He watched as Mary gave him one of her dazzling smiles and they entered the elevator together. Danny had to fight the urge to run up to the elevator and jump in.

Mary disappeared from sight and Danny ran to the security room. By the time he reached the room and pulled up the necessary camera they were exiting the elevator. He watched as Draco parted ways with Harry and Mary leaving them alone with no one to interfere.

He watched as Harry walked Mary down to her room. He was desperately trying to figure out what they were saying. They stopped at the door and an awkward moment passed between them. Danny got the distinct impression that Harry wanted to kiss Mary and his insides burned with jealousy. Danny watched unbelievingly as Mary invited Harry into her room and he watched helplessly as Harry entered and Mary closed the door. It was at that moment that Danny wished he had installed a camera in Mary's room.

He sat back in his chair and stared at the camera. When that wasn't working for him he stood up and paced. A minute had passed and the door was still closed. He sat back down. He looked at his watch, a minute and a half. Danny glanced around the room. Most people were idly staring at the screens. He looked back at his watch, two minutes. Harry was still in the room. Danny jumped from his chair and headed to the door. He couldn't take it any longer. He needed to know what was going on inside that room.

He headed straight to the elevators but none were down. They were all ironically on the ninth floor where he needed to be. He started pacing again. He hit the down button and waited. One elevator moved to the eighth floor and stopped. Danny punched all the buttons. Two elevators went up! Danny paced furiously. He looked up at the elevators, they hadn't budged. He let out a sigh of frustration and took the stairs.

He raced up taking the stairs three at a time and in no time was stomping through the ninth floor door. A light layer of sweat had broken out on his skin and as he passed through the door the cool air from the air conditioning hit him. He headed straight to his target. He had no clue what he would say but he just needed to get into that room. Just as Danny was about to reach the room he ran into something. Danny registered a blur of brown hair before he hit the floor.

"Ow, I am so sorry." Said a voice he was beginning to know well.

Danny looked up. He had bumped into Hermione.

"You seem to like to trip me up Miss Granger! Is there any specific reason you want me sprawled out on the floor?" Danny teased her.

Hermione blushed, "If you would only look where you are going then maybe you won't be so clumsy." She said as she offered him a hand to get up.

"Me, clumsy" Danny said as he accepted her hand.

"Yes you." Hermione said as she helped him up.

"I'm a Marine. Marines aren't clumsy." Danny said as he brushed himself off.

"Well, this marine is." Hermione responded teasingly as she poked him softly on the chest.

Danny crossed his arms in front and gave her the most serious stare he could muster.

"Is that supposed to scare me Mr. McCoy?" Hermione said in a baby voice.

"No it's supposed to make you jump me and make wild love to me!" Danny responded sarcastically.

Hermione burst into a fit of giggles.

"So how was the paintball today?" Danny asked. He was trying to suss out how much contact Mary and Harry had.

"Lavender won." She said in a disappointed tone.

"I heard, but how did you do?" Danny asked

"Ok I guess. I shot Harry." Hermione said with a proud smile.

"That made your day didn't it." Danny said knowingly

"Sort of, Mary shot me right after." Hermione revealed a bit sourly.

"Mary got ya!" Danny said proudly

"Yes but let's not stand up in the middle of the corridor and talk about this. I was going down to the Bella Sera to get a drink. Why don't you join me?" Hermione offered him.

"I'm on duty I can't drink." Danny replied

Hermione looked around the empty floor. "Then what are you doing up here?" Hermione asked

Danny racked his brain looking for an answer.

"Oh I get it, you came up here to see Mary didn't you." Hermione said with a knowing smile.

"Ah," Danny didn't know how to respond. He didn't want to tell her what he saw.

"It's ok Danny. I'll leave you to it then." Hermione said as she walked passed him to the elevators.

Danny glanced down the hallway to Mary's door. Harry hadn't come out yet but on the up side he couldn't hear any noises either. Danny made a quick decision.

"Hermione wait up. I think I'll keep your company for a while."

"Ok" Hermione said as she glanced down the corridor to Mary's room.

The elevator doors opened and they both left the ninth floor.

-*-

(Rewind to Harry on the bus)

Harry was steering out of the window of the bus. He had so many conflicting emotions. She was his best friend. He couldn't feel this way about her. She had been by his side since he was eleven. He couldn't afford to lose her friendship now. He had to face the facts. He needed her just as he needed food, water and air to survive.

"Potter, I thought I was supposed to be the depressed one." Draco said to him.

"What?" Harry questioned. He wasn't paying attention to the platinum blonde.

"I am the one that's supposed to be steering out the window moping but instead the guy who's supposed to be cheering me up, is steering out the window moping. Does that make any sense?" Draco questioned.

"I am not moping!" Harry said emphasizing every word.

"Then what exactly are you doing?" Draco asked with that cocky smirk of his.

Harry was about to open his mouth to answer when he drew a blank. What was he doing?

"Point proven." Draco said

"You are beginning to sound like Hermione." Harry said

"Ah we finally get to the root of the problem." Draco said

"The root of what problem?" Harry asked

"You are attracted to me because I am very similar to Hermione!" Draco said with a slight pause to take in Harry's reaction before he continued. "No you idiot. The problem is you are absolutely and completely head over heels in love with Hermione and you have no clue what to do about it!"

"Draco, I think your father terrorized you a bit too much. You are beginning to go a bit loco." Harry said

"Loco?" Draco questioned confused.

"Muggle term, Never mind." Harry said as he returned his gaze to the window.

"Some friend you are." Draco snorted in disgust.

"What," Harry said turning around again slightly annoyed that the blonde would not leave him with his thoughts.

"You're supposed to be comforting me and telling me that Ginny didn't mean it." Draco said

"She didn't mean it." Harry said dryly. "Now can I go back to steering out the window?"

"Whatever Potter, but it you were really paying attention to what's outside the window you would have realised that we have already reached!" Draco said as he got up and started exiting with the other passengers.

Harry did a double take and realised that Draco was in fact correct. Hermione and Ginny were already out of the bus and in the main lobby. If he ran now he could catch up with them. He hurriedly got up and followed Draco out of the bus. He noticed Mary talking with Danny but returned his focus to Hermione. She was stepping on to the elevators. He wouldn't make it. By the time he reached there the first set of people that disembarked from the bus had already taken the elevators up to the ninth floor and he was forced to wait.

"Can these muggle contraptions take any longer?" Draco whispered under his breath.

"Patience Draco." Harry said

"If I had your patience I would still be admiring Ginny from a distance." Draco cut back at him.

"At least then she wouldn't be shooting you in very painful regions." Harry snapped back at him.

They were about to let tempers get the better of them before Mary stepped up.

"Hi Harry, Draco," Mary said with a beautiful smile.

"Hi Mary," Harry said greeting her with a kiss on the cheek.

Draco nodded at her.

"So you guys enjoy today?" Mary asked casually

Draco shot her a deadly glare and she instantly realised the mistake she made and changed the topic.

"So Harry looking forward to tonight?" Mary asked trying to move the topic away from Draco's disastrous paintball adventure.

"Yeah sure." Harry said rather dully.

Mary quirked her eyebrows at his response but before she could question him on it the bell pinged and the doors to the elevators opened.

"About damn time," Draco mumbled as he headed into the elevator.

Harry stood back and allowed Mary to enter before him like a true gentleman would. She smiled gratefully at him as he joined them in the elevator.

The ride was filled with silence and Mary wondered what was wrong. She knew what was wrong with Draco and she also knew that Delinda was trying to fix that, but Harry was completely silent. In the few days that she knew him he hadn't been silent at all and had enjoyed engaging her in light conversation.

She looked at his form standing next to her. He was staring at the doors intently. She could see his jaw was clenched and occasionally his eyes would narrow to slits then go back to the normal size. She figured he was angry but she didn't know at what. There was nothing to be angry at?

The doors opened signalling, their arrival at their destination. Draco stepped out and indicated he need to see Justin Finch-Fletchley about a business deal and he headed off in the opposite direction to their rooms.

Harry was now left alone with Mary and he volunteered to walk with her to her room. His room was only a few doors down from hers. Mary took the opportunity to ask him the question that was bothering her.

"Harry is something wrong?" She said with that caring look she always had when she was helping people.

Harry didn't answer right away. "I'm confused Mary. She's my best friend but I can't risk it. Why did I get myself into this situation? I always mess up. Usually she can get me out of the mess but this time the mess involves her. I don't know what to do."

Mary frowned before she realised that he was talking about his best friend, Hermione.

"This is wrong. I can't feel this way. I have known her for so long. She deserves so much better." Harry said as they continued to walk down the road.

"Harry, you're in love with her." Mary said sympathetically. She understood what it was like to be in love with your best friend. She understood the pain, the hardships and most of all, the intensity of the feeling.

"Why does everyone keep telling me that I am in love with her?" Harry grumbled.

"Because you are. This isn't a simple crush or an attraction." Mary said sternly as she turned around to face him. They were both standing in front of her door. It was important that Harry understood what he was feeling.

Harry shifted uncomfortably as he tried to process why Mary insisted that he was in love with Hermione. He looked up at her hesitantly "Can you help me sort this out?"

"Are you sure you want me to help you?" Mary asked softly. It was a bit awkward standing there with Harry. She barely knew him but she did want to help him.

"Yes. I need someone different, someone with a fresh look on things. They always say it's easier for an outsider to see a solution." Harry said with a wry smile.

Mary smiled and invited Harry into her room.

-*-

Bella Serra

Hermione and Danny sat at the bar and Mike wondered over to remind Danny that he was still on duty.

"I know Mike. I am just keeping the lovely lady company." Danny said

Mike stared at him. "Just because Ed's out doesn't mean you get to do what you want."

"Oh no." Hermione said as she stared over Danny's shoulder.

"What?" Danny questioned as he tried to turn around to see what Hermione was looking at. He reached about half way before Hermione yanked him back.

"Draco's heading over this way." She said with a firm grip on Danny's arm.

"What's wrong with that?" Danny asked confused. He couldn't see why Draco joining them would be a problem.

"Mike, please don't take anything Draco says personally. He's just very in love with Ginny." Hermione pleaded.

"You," Draco said as he pointed his left index finger in Mike's face.

"Hey chill man." Mike said as he casually put some more distance between Draco and himself.

Hermione grabbed Draco's hand and forced him into the seat next to her.

"You lay a hand on her and I swear I'll kill you." The blonde threatened the security officer.

"Draco, it's not his fault Ginny's interested in him. You should be concentrating on getting her back, not beating to death anyone she's interested in." Hermione advised.

"She's right man." Mike said as he got a call on his cell phone and took the opportunity to disappear.

"Easy for you to say, Granger. I don't see Potter on top of any woman here unless you count that muggle Mary." Draco said bluntly

"Muggle" Danny said a bit cross with Draco. He was unfamiliar with the term but he didn't like any insults being thrown at his best friend. Danny was also vividly reminded that Harry was in Mary's room and he was probably on top of her. Mary usually liked it like that. Whoa, he needed to stop thinking along those lines. He needed to focus on something else and decided to bury his memories of what he saw earlier.

A hurt looked passed across Hermione's face at Draco's comment and she remembered the moment that Mary had interrupted earlier. She could swear they were going to kiss but when Mary came Harry acted as if nothing happened. He talked so casually with Mary and made no effort to get rid of her so they could talk.

"What's wrong with you two, you look like I just said the world has ended" Draco said as he ordered the same drink Hermione had and he downed it in one shot.

"What time do you get off of duty?" Draco asked as he looked at Danny.

"Midnight." Danny answered

"What are you thinking Draco?" Hermione asked. The Slytherin in Draco could be very sly at times.

"Let's skip the pool party tonight. We haven't seen any of the clubs here. Lets go." Draco said. "I need to clear my mind for a bit."

"At a loud noisy club?" Danny asked.

"No Draco. We can't miss it." Hermione said firmly.

"Why are you always such a spoil sport?" Draco complained.

Hermione huffed and returned to her drink.

Draco tried a different tactic. "You know if you let loose a bit, Harry might notice you."

"Draco you need to stop with this nonsense about me and Harry." Hermione said firmly as she slammed her drink down on the counter.

"Nonsense, come on Hermione, it's obvious how you feel about him." Draco said

Hermione was about to answer before Danny added "It is obvious."

Hermione gasped. Was she that transparent that a complete stranger could see she was madly in love with Harry? No, she was that pathetic. Hermione couldn't make eye contact with either of them and she chose instead to stare intently at the floor.

"Hey kid," Danny said as he tilted Hermione's head to look at her. "It's not the end of the world. There are plenty of fish in the sea."

"Exactly," Draco said. "Now in order to meet the other fish in the sea we need to go out!"

Hermione bit her bottom lip.

"Hermione?" Draco begged trying to recreate the puppy face Harry usually used to get Hermione to do something he wanted.

"Oh alright." Hermione conceded to Draco.

"Great let's get dressed." Draco said as he began to rise from his seat.

"The good clubs don't start until much later, why don't you take in a show or two and then go to the clubs." Danny suggested

"Great idea, we'll meet you back here at 6" Draco said

"Wait, I never said I was coming." Danny replied hastily.

"You're coming. I'll arrange it with Sam." Draco said as he moved to the hotel phone to page Sam.

Danny held his hand to his forehead and wondered exactly how he had gotten himself into this mess.

-*-

7:00pm Poolside, Hogwart's Reunion Pool Party

Ginny and Luna were the firsts to arrive at the party. Ginny was dressed in a short black cocktail dress with a plunging neckline and back. The dress stopped at mid thigh and she wore black stockings with black strapy high heels. She wore quite a bit of make up and had a complicated hairstyle. After Hermione left her earlier in the afternoon she went to the spa and salon to get a fresh look for the party. Luna was wearing a simple blue dress with a flowered pattern on it. She hadn't put much thought into her outfit as she had spent her afternoon with Ron.

After a few minutes they were joined by Harry and Ron who were each dressed in casual shorts and jersey. Ginny frowned at their appearance. They in turn questioned her about her appearance and Ron kindly reminded her that there were no scarlet women in the Weasley family. Ginny of course was about to give an angry retort when Luna stepped in reminding them they were there to enjoy the evening. Ron was about to open his mouth when Luna reminded him that Ginny was a big girl and she could do what she pleased.

There were several round tables placed around the pool with various centrepieces of so-called mythical creatures. There was a podium close to the entrance into the hotel and on the opposite side was the buffet table. Off to the side of the pool there was a small platform built for dancing. The group chose to sit at the table nearest to the buffet table and before long the rest of the class joined them.

Lavender was giving a short speech and no one was listening to her besides Parvarti. Harry kept searching the crowd for Hermione. She was supposed to be eating with them. He frowned at the two empty spaces at their table. Draco hadn't shown up either. He could understand the Slytherin's hesitance but Hermione? She was always there. He hoped Draco was at least with her, wherever it is she wondered off to. He didn't like the thought of her by herself in Las Vegas, especially with a serial killer on the loose.

Lavender's speech finished and she invited everyone to the buffet table. Being nearest to the table, Ron was at the first to start heaping food onto his plate despite that face that they had a strange combination of seafood and Mexican food. Mary asked if she could join the table and she sat down next to Harry.

"Mary, why was this combination of food chosen?" Luna asked her

"That question needs to be directed at Ms. Brown." Mary said not taking any responsibility for the odd meal.

"That answers everything." Ginny mumbled under her breath.

"Lavender isn't that bad." Ron defended his fellow Gryffindor.

"This from the guy that was trying to suck her face off in the common room." Ginny said sardonically.

Luna tried not to look too perturbed by the comment, but the truth was any mention of Ron's ex's usually upset her. It hurt her to think about the other women that Ron had shared himself with. The only one of Ron's ex's she didn't mind hearing about was Hermione. Their relationship had been a complete disaster and they had never been too intimate with each other. However, after Hermione, there had been a string of girls in Ron's life before Luna and she was still very uncomfortable with that.

Lavender had been Ron's first and Luna was particularly envious of Lavender for that reason. Luna was a romantic at heart and that was how she and Ginny had become good friends. They had both wanted knights in shining armour to come to their rescue. In fact, her relationship with Ron started when he rescued her from her ex-boyfriend, Derek.

Luna knew the notion of a knight in shining armour was myth and that real life wasn't like that but she couldn't help but fantasize. She groaned softly as she realised that Lavender was heading over to the table. The blonde Ravenclaw knew she was going to try and come between her and Ron.

"Hello Ron," Lavender cooed as she sat in the other empty space next to Mary.

Luna had to hold back a laugh at the look Mary gave Lavender. At least she and Mary had something in common. They didn't like Lavender.

"Lavender, what do you want?" Ginny asked coldly. She didn't approve of the games the older girl liked to play with her brother.

"Can't I make sure that all the Hogwart's graduates are enjoying their meal?" Lavender asked innocently as she fluttered her eyebrows at Ron.

"I believe the evening is going well." Mary commented.

Lavender turned and looked at her. She blinked a few times before she said "Ms. Connell, I didn't realise you were there."

Mary had to suppress the urge to slap the woman. Lavender had been extremely irritating all afternoon. She had interrupted her conversation with Harry earlier, and Mary had been at her beck and call for the rest of the afternoon. The event coordinator smiled falsely at her and said "It's also my duty to make sure the guests are well entertained."

"I'm sure Harry was well entertained with you this afternoon." Lavender spat back at her.

Harry started chocking on his food and Mary held her tongue to tap Harry on his back.

"See, already the lovey dovey couple. I wonder what Hermione would say if she was here?" Lavender said as she returned her focus on Ron.

"What are you on about Lavender?" Ron asked. "There's nothing going on between Mary and Harry."

"Then why was he in her room this afternoon?" Lavender questioned innocently.

Ginny and Luna turned their sharp gazes on Harry and under the pressure Harry caved. "Nothing happened. We were just talking ok."

Ron stared incredulously at Harry. He like the girls had hoped that his friend would finally wise up to the wonderful witch he had right in front of him.

Luna had had enough of Lavender. She reached under her skirt for the wand she had tucked into her stockings. As Lavender raised her glass of red wine to her mouth Luna casted a spell to create a strong breeze. This caused the glass in Lav's hand to tip over and fall on her beautiful white dress. Lavender squealed and shot a deadly glare at Luna.

As if on cue, Parvarti appeared and offered to help Lavender clean up. She shot Luna a look to let her know that this was not over yet, before she left with Parvarti.

"Thank god she's gone." Mary said.

Harry stared at her.

"What," Mary said. "She can be a bit over bearing at times. Sometimes I feel she's a giant squid and I am being squeezed to death by her tentacles."

"I feel exactly the same way!" Ron exclaimed.

Ginny spotted Mike at the table and excused herself to talk with him.

"Ron, shouldn't we stop her?" Luna asked worriedly.

"Why? She's a big girl isn't she?" Ron replied sarcastically.

Luna glared at him.

"We'll keep an eye on her Luna." Harry said reassuringly to her.

Ginny was happily chatting away with Mike. Every now and then she would flip her hair behind her shoulders or shift her weight from one foot to the other. Harry was thankful that Draco wasn't around. He would have made a huge scene had he witnessed the way Ginny was behaving.

They watched as Sam interrupted Ginny's conversation with Mike. The casino Hostess completely ignored Ginny presence and spoke to Mike only. Ginny slowly began to turn red and that wasn't a good sign. Luna and Harry both rose from the table ready to grab their friend should a fight start.

"Do you have any manners?" Ginny blurted out angrily.

"Excuse me." Sam said as she turned to face Ginny.

"I mean, first you steel my boyfriend, now you're interrupting a perfectly good conversation. Can't you see you're not wanted here!" Ginny screamed.

Sam was about to open her mouth to say something when Ginny shoved a beautiful black forest cake into her face.

Sam couldn't believe what had just happened. Sam reached for the nearest cake and threw it at Ginny who ducked and causing the cake to hit Luna, who had been advancing on the scene. Ron who had risen from his seat when Ginny threw the first cake didn't take the assault on his girlfriend lightly. He picked up a big round quiche and threw it at Sam. Ron however had terrible aim and it hit Mike. Someone who sounded vaguely like Neville called food fight and food started flying in every direction. And to think Harry had thought it was Draco who would make the scene! Ginny had done a perfect job of accomplishing that for herself.

An hour later everyone retired exhausted and covered from head to toe in food while Harry worried himself sick over his missing best friend.

-*-

He sat in the bushes watching her. She looked beautiful tonight. He had definitely picked the right one at the mall. Her elegance and grace radiated from her no matter what she was wearing. He watched as she sat at the table with the red head that had been following her around all day. She made it difficult to get close to her but he had a plan to get rid of that obstacle.

Soon he would have the blonde back and he couldn't wait. He needed to get everything prepared for her. But in the mean time he had an urge that needed to be satisfied tonight. He briefly gazed around the pool and his eyes landed on one girl in particular. She would be the one to satisfy him tonight. After her, he would be ready for the blonde again.

-*-

Hermione woke up with a pounding headache. She tried to open her eyes but the light entering the room just tripled her headache. She closed her eyes and tried to recall the night before. She vaguely remembered lots of blinking lights and a lot of vodka. She suddenly became aware of a mass across her midsection. It felt like two arms. She forced her eyes opened and was met with the sight of Danny's sleeping face. She panicked and turned her head around. There she was met with Draco's sleeping face.

-->