Unofficial Portkey Archive

Pieces by sugarbear_1269
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Pieces

sugarbear_1269

Huge big gaping disclaimer: I declare that I know nothing about the judicial, hospital, or employment systems I attempt to depict herein. All criticisms will be thrown out with the bathwater. Remember, this is smutty fluff and I can use whatever plot devices tickle my fancy. Also, Draco's timeline is ahead of Ginny's by about three weeks in this chapter. Read closely in following chapters to understand how she catches up.

Sweat dripping into his eyes, an uncharacteristically mussed Ollivander hunched desperately over Lucius Malfoy's decimated wand, attempting to painstakingly repair it.

He'd had a spot of luck in these things over the years, but the wands had never been so completely shattered or as innately evil as the instrument he hoped he'd never see again.

With Aurors, the entire Weasley clan and one Draco Malfoy breathing down his neck, Ollivander hoped he could do some good for the poor missing girl. He remembered her wand clearly. Especially good for hexing, he recalled. Smiling ruefully, he concentrated on mending individual splinters as the dragon's heartstring quivered delicately on a table beside him.

***

"What do you mean you have no idea where she is?" Draco fumed, pacing in front of his bedroom's fireplace. He'd been confined to Malfoy Manor for nearly two weeks now, bringing the total amount of time he'd been out of commission to three weeks and one day. "I thought that was why you bloody fucking Aurors had work!"

"You'd best calm yourself down, cousin," Tonks seethed on the other side of the Floo flames. He would never get used to her calling him that. After so many years of being forced to shun his mother's relation, he was having a hard time reconciling her line of work with his family's reputation.

"Do you think we're just standing around? Half of it is due to the bloody git Weasley," Tonks said, "him breaking your father's wand like that. I hear Ollivander hasn't slept in five days trying to put it back together. Moody is hoping we can do a priori incantatem."

Draco had no immediate response. The forced time-out had given him more than enough time to replay the horrible events over and over again in his mind. Though he would rather cut off his own fingers with a dull knife than admit it, had he been in Ron's position he didn't know if he wouldn't have broken his father's wand as well.

After his release from St. Mungo's, the first people he had seen were a gaggle of Weasleys. He'd had to blink, their hair was so bright.

"Draco! Are you all right?" Molly Weasley gushed helplessly, rushing forward and crushing him to her like a little boy. "I was so worried about you!"

"Mmmphglurg," Draco managed, trying to break out of her embrace. She released him and he straightened himself, trying to figure out what was going on.

"They wouldn't let us in to see you," she carried on. "You've lost weight." The incredulous look Draco gave the Weasley matriarch wasn't lost on her husband.

"What Molly is trying to say, Draco, is that we've been waiting for you to be released so you can help us look for Ginny."

He hadn't known, up until that point, his princess was still missing. When he had asked for her, both in delirium and in clarity, the mediwitches ignored him and gave him sleeping draughts.

A cold chill crept down his spine and his pale face reddened.

"It's my fault she's gone," Ron Weasley piped up, stepping through the veritable crowd and leveling his gaze with Draco's. "And I intend to help you find her."

For once Draco couldn't muster the necessary rage to insult and berate Ron, and nodded. The clammy, sickly wave that swept him settled deep in his stomach; Draco knowing it wouldn't leave until she was found.

***

"Found her on the grounds…"

"Not wearing a stitch…"

"Delirious, dehydrated…"

"English, too."

Ginny woke suddenly a few hours later, lying with her wrists bound to a strange metal bed and thin, clear tubes attached with tape to her wrists. A shrill, panicked scream escaped her and she began to tussle with her restraints.

"Get me out of here!" she shrieked, drawing the attention of several white-coated women outside her door.

"Honey, honey, calm down…"

"Her pulse is racing…"

"She's going to tear that line out, Liz, watch her."

A black woman with dozens of tiny braids leaned over Ginny and clamped powerful hands over her struggling form.

"Miss, you're going to hurt yourself," the woman said firmly, pressing down enough to get Ginny's attention.

"You're in the hospital and you needed some help, okay. My name is Shay and I'm going to help you, but only if you calm down. You understand?"

Shay was struck by the frantic chocolate brown eyes and how the girl looked at ordinary objects as if she had never seen them before. Unrelenting, Shay repeated herself until the girl (whose chart named her as "Jenny") began to calm. Shay cast a glance at Liz, who was busily repairing Jenny's saline drip.

"Now, that's better," Shay said diffidently, as if nothing had happened. "See?"

Ginny stared at the woman for a moment, then tentatively nodded her head.

"Can you tell me what happened to you, Jenny?" Shay asked.

"Ginny, G-I-N-N-Y," Ginny absently corrected her, the way she did everyone who always forgot the youngest Weasley's name.

"Well, then, Ginny, do you know how you came to be here?"

As a matter of fact, I wish I didn't.

Play dumb. "Erm, no, I don't. I was hoping you could tell me," Ginny said, attempting a weak chuckle, hoping that this ridiculous scene would end with Draco or someone equally heroic coming in to save her.

"You don't remember any of the events leading up to now?" Shay probed.

"No, I'm a bit muzzy, really," Ginny replied desperately.

"You don't remember arriving on vacation, who you're staying with, any of that?"

Referring to this heinous accident as vacation made Ginny's blood boil.

"Why don't you tell me what you know," Ginny replied frostily, "and perhaps I'll remember bits and pieces along the way."

Shay was nonplussed by her ward's sudden change in demeanor.

"A mother and daughter hiking found you on the trails at the Wilderness Lodge. They reported you appeared to be unconscious and were nude." Ginny flinched at the embarrassing thought.

"Yes, yes, I remember that. Go on."

"The paramedics were called, and you were brought here, and you had been resting quietly until just a few moments ago. That's all we know. There's been a TV news van outside all afternoon," Shay continued. "Wanting to know how a nude girl turned up at Walt Disney World." Ginny gawked. Her somewhat limited Muggle knowledge told her that this "news van" probably wasn't a good thing.

"Where did you say I was again?"

Shay regarded her evenly.

"You're in Orlando, Florida, in the United States, and we found you inside the grounds of Walt Disney World."

"Walt Disney World?" Ginny asked quizzically. She didn't know there was a kingdom inside the States.

"Yeah," Shay said. "You know, the most magical place on Earth."