Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by burgosdamasco
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

burgosdamasco

Today was the last day of classes before Alex and his mum would catch the last train home for the holidays. No school and presents. What more could one boy ask for? Stealing glances at the staff table Alex wanted much more. Even from the distance where Alex was seated at the Gryffindor table, he knew something was wrong. Losing his appetite, Alex pushed his plate of eggs and sausages away, concentrating on his mother whose red and puffy eyes told him that she had been crying.

"Your mum looks awfully sad. Professor Malfoy break her heart already?" William Wood added, "There's still hope for me."

Alex narrowed his eyes at William, "Sod off Wood!"

Not one to let their cousin fight alone in the war of words, Edmund and Everett gladly jumped in, "Yeah Wood, Sod off. Leave his mum alone."

William Wood rose from the table, stopping only to whisper in Alex's ear, "Nothing you can say will take my love away from Professor Weasely." He winked at Alex giving him a pat on the back before exiting the great hall.

"Don't mind my brother, he's a prat." Casey looked up from the book she had been reading, Quidditch Through the Ages, and studied both Professor's intensely, "But my brother's right. Your mum looks like she's been crying for days. Maybe her and Professor Malfoy got into a row. He looks rather glum doesn't he?"

Alex frowned deep in thought. Why were they avoiding looking at each other? It must be his fault. They snogged and now they were embarrassed. Just like how he'd been embarrassed when Casey Wood tried to stick her yucky tongue down his throat. But both his parents had seemed to like it at the time. A lot in fact. So much that they had snogged not once but twice. What had gone wrong? Breakfast ended without either of his parents talking, much less looking in each other's direction.

Sitting in Professor Binn's class, Alex tried to listen about the downfall of Voldemort and found himself fidgeting instead. It was useless. His mind was elsewhere. Maybe mum and daad were both upset with him because of how horrid he had been yesterday. Making a scene at Gladrags upset them both. That had to be it. Flying lessons with his mum were next. He'd apologize straightaway for his behavior and make everything right again.

Alex had been looking forward to being in his mother's class since the day he heard she was teaching. Walking towards the great expanse of greenery where the lessons would be conducted, Casey Wood couldn't stop talking about how much fun the classes had been.

"Your Mum taught us some new techniques. Stuff my mum and dad are too busy to show me. Then Professor Weasley says- Ok class let's incorporate all of that into a game of Quidditch! Too much fun all around. You should have been there!"

Alex had felt slightest twinge of jealousy. He had missed out, not only on his mum's first day as a teacher but on Quidditch!

"This will probably be an easy pass for you." Casey said as they arrived onto the Hogwarts grounds, "

The Slytherins that shared the class with him were already saying the not so endearing term under their breaths as he passed by. "Teacher's Pet!"

Alex rolled his eyes, "My mum will be fair. She'll treat me no different than anyone else." But deep inside Alex hoped differently.

Alex may as well have been any other student. Much to his dismay no attention was paid to him at all. Instead of the Quidditch game he had hoped for, she instructed the class on basics he had already learned from Uncles Ron and Harry. But Alex didn't complain. He'd be happy to just clean brooms all day long, as long as he was able to be close to his mother.

Alex tried again to catch his mother's attention, "Mum could you help me with the braking charm?" Not that he needed to learn how to brake on a broom. That was one of the first things Uncle Ron had taught him, but he needed to talk to his mother.

She looked up momentarily from instructing the Slytherin first years, and Alex found that he couldn't help smiling at his mum. From now on he would be able to see her whenever he wanted. A blank stare returned his smile. Alex felt a funny hurtful ache deep in his stomach. This was how he felt when he'd visit his mum in St. Mungo's. It was as if his mum wasn't there anymore.

"Ok, that's all for today. Class dismissed. I'll see you after the holidays. Happy Christmas." Her faint smile held a touch of sadness that Alex did not miss.

A flurry of students ran past shouting, "Happy Christmas," and "One More Class to Go!" While throwing their brooms haphazardly into the broom closet. Alex expected his mum to yell at his classmates for being so messy but she didn't seem to care at all.

"Casey, can you tell Professor Malfoy that I'll be a bit late for class?" Alex said, while his eyes followed his mother as she walked towards the back of the broom closet.

Sensing his worry Casey gave him a comforting smile, "Anything for you Alex."

Quietly he followed her as she leaned face forward, sobbing against the broom shed wall, "Mum, why are you crying?" He didn't want to see his mother cry for something he did. "I'm sorry Mum."

What could he possibly do to make his mum feel better? Without a second thought he gave his mother a great big hug. In return, Alex felt a tiny kiss being placed on his forehead.

"You have absolutely nothing to be sorry about Alex." She sniffed and Alex didn't quite know if he believed her. But if felt good to be in his mother's arms as she hugged him even tighter. "I just miss the Burrow so much. I want to leave this place and go home."

His mum was trying to hold back her cries but failing miserably. She missed Grandma and Grandpa too, just like him. A lump formed in his throat that Alex desparately tried to fight. "I love you mummy. I love you so much. Please don't cry."

A knock on the broom shed door intruded on their private moment. Alex quickly shot a locking charm towards the door. "Professor Weasley?" came a voice of a curious Ravenclaw, "Are you in there Professor?"

In the state his mum was in, Alex knew that teaching a class was out of the question. He led his mother to one of the benches handing her a handkerchief he transfigured from a stray piece of string found on his robe, "I'll take care of everything mum."

Ginny sobbed into the handkerchief, "Y-You shouldn't have to do this."

He patted her head assuring his mother in soft whispers. Alex had seen Grandma Weasley do this many times when his younger cousins got into scrapes. It had worked when a crying Anjali fell off Uncle Ron's broom and it seemed to be working for his mother.

As her cries died down Alex headed towards the door , opening it slightly. He peeked his blonde head out to meet a crowd of Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs.

"What are you still doing here Alex?" asked one of the Hufflepuffs surprised to see him instead of their flying teacher.

A Ravenclaw piped in, "Where's Professor Weasley?"

"I'm helping my mum inventory the brooms before the hols……Oh and by the way, Professor Weasley's gift to you all is……..CLASS DISMISSED! Happy Christmas!"

Shouts of joy filled the air as the students raced to their respective houses. When the last student disappeared Alex closed the door behind him. Tentaively he asked, "You didn't mind mum, did you?" A lie had to be told, a fact Alex wasn't very proud of.

Brushing tears from her eyes, she held out shaky arms towards him which Alex gladly took. Sitting next to her on the wooden bench he allowed his mother to draw him closer, enveloping him in another hug. He didn't have to raise his head to know she was still crying as tears matted his hair.

"Mum, we'll be home soon . Don't cry mum……" The suns rays no longer reached its winter light through the cracked boards of the broom shed. Alex could only guess that more than an hour had passed as his mother's cries finally stilled.

"W-We should get ready t-to catch our train." Ginny stammered "D-Did y-you pack your things?"

Alex nodded, "Yes mum." Very shortly they would both be in the warmth of the Burrow. Alex couldn't wait. He knew exactly how his mum felt. He missed Grandma and Grandpa Weasley so very much the first time he had arrived at Hogwarts. Everyday Alex had cried into his pillow until one day the tears vanished. So busy with schoolwork, Alex somehow forgot to cry. He still missed them horribly, but knowing that they were just an owl away made him feel loads better. You'll feel better too Mum. Grandma Weasley can fix anything.

Suddenly Alex became wide eyed realizing he had missed his entire DADA class. "Mum, I have to see Professor Malfoy. He'll be worried……"

Alex was surprised by the harshness of his mother's tone, "NO ALEX! Go straight to Gryffindor. As we planned, you and your cousins are to meet me and your Aunt Hermione in the Great Hall before we head to the train station."

"But Mum, Professor Malfoy………."

"He'll understand Alex."

Was she worried he would tell his father about how she cried over the Burrow? He wouldn't do anything of the sort. "Please Mum I won't tell him that you've been crying. I promise. Can I just wish him a happy Christmas? Please Mum, Professor Malfoy will be alone. I don't want to leave without saying goodbye."

Alex took a small step back when his mother snapped, her eyes glistening, "DO AS I SAY ALEX!"

Alex tried to stop his lips from trembling. He didn't mean to make her upset and most of all he didn't want to see her cry again. "But Professor Malfoy……"

"DON'T JUST STAND THERE! GO! GO!" Ginny's finger shook as she pointed towards the door. When he didn't move, Ginny took him by the collar and roughly pushed him towards the door. "LEAVE!"

Alex stumbled out the door not daring to look back. Wiping away his tears Alex ran all the way to Gryffindor Tower. Grandma Weasley never yelled at him that way. Not ever. It wasn't just the Burrow his mother missed. Alex could sense something was hurting her. Was she not telling the truth when his mum said he shouldn't be sorry? Was it him? Did she not love him?

Standing before the portrait hole, Alex tried to utter the password, holding back the sob in his throat. All he had wanted for Christmas was for his mum and dad to be together. Alex added another secret plea. I want my mum to love me.

*~*~*

Draco hesitated approachinghis son as he stood hidden in the shadows of the Gryffindor common room. If Ginny had told him of what he had done, the relationship he was gradually building with Alex would be destroyed.

His son's actions told him otherwise, "Father!" immediately Alex ran to him, dropping the trunk he was levitating from his room. Draco knelt down next to Alex, holding him close. Ginny who had every right to have him arrested hadn't told a soul. Draco wanted to take Ginny in his arms and whisper endless apologies. He had never meant to hurt her. He had been so close to her at the staff table, yet not able to lend his comfort . Draco wondered if it would help at all to tell her why when she wouldn't even look at him. Now Ginny would never believe him, not after what happened.

Draco poured every ounce of remorse into the hug he gave to Alex. I'm sorry Ginny. I'm so sorry.

"I- I wish you could tell her Father. Mum would be happy." Alex added biting his lip, "I would be happy."

The day before Christmas and Alex was crying into his shoulder. No Malfoy should ever cry, especially at Christmas. What kind of father was he when he couldn't even provide a bit of happiness for his son? Alex should be spoilt like the many Malfoys that were before him. That would change. At least for a few minutes.

"Alex, I have something for you."

Alex looked curiously at Draco who reached into his cloak pocket. A miniature gift wrapped box appeared in his palm no larger than a knut. Whispering the shrinking reversal spell, Draco handed the gift to his son. "You can open it now if you'd like. No need to wait until tomorrow."

"For me?" Alex asked as the corners of his mouth twitched upward.

"I hope you like it. " Draco said, watching Alex carefully open the package as if the gift wrap were as much a part of the present as what lay hidden underneath. Had it been Draco, the wrapping paper would already have been tossed aside without much thought.

Smiling, Alex looked up at Draco, "A chess set!!!"

"Just be sure you beat that Uncle Ron of yours, ok?"

Sounding very matter of fact and not at all like an eleven year old, Alex answered, "Don't worry father. I intend to win always."

Draco couldn't help smirking at his son's words. Though Alex was very much a Weasley in spirit, it pleased him to see his Malfoyness just below the surface. One day the Malfoy name would no longer be seen as shameful. If there was anyone who could bring back honor to the name that had once held it so long ago, Draco knew it would be Alex.

"I have something for you too father." Alex unlocked his trunk, rummaging through the contents until he found what he was looking for. He handed Draco a small envelope that simply read : For Father- Happy Christmas. "Don't open it until Christmas, ok?"

"Not even a peek?"

Alex grinned while shaking his head no. "No father and see through spells are completely out of the question!"

Draco let out a mock sigh. "Just for you I shall abide by the rules."

A clock chimed and Alex's voice wavered, "I -I promised my mum I'd meet her in the Great Hall. We have to catch our train. She'll be worried."

Draco's thoughts wandered back to the prison he head left many years ago. Just a teenager being tried for adult crimes, he had cried as he stood before the Wizengamot. To this day Draco could still hear the calls for his death, the booing, the laughter as the only living Malfoy broke down for all the world to see. Dying he was not afraid of. Being separated from Ginny made him lose all composure. Being apart from Alex now that they had found each other was far from easy.

Draco brushed his hand through his hair. Anything to keep from pulling Alex into his arms until he was old enough to graduate Hogwarts. He watched silently as Alex headed towards the portrait hole. Away from Gryffindor, away from Hogwarts, and away from him.

A gut clenching feeling surfaced in the pit of Draco's stomach. The same way he had felt when he had awoken in Azkaban away from Ginny and their baby. Before Alex could escape through the portrait hole, Draco hugged his son as if it would his last. Emotion clogged his throat but he refused to have Alex feel even more saddened. Draco forced a smile, "Happy Christmas Alex."

***

"What happened between you and Malfoy?" Hermione asked softly.

How very much like Hermione to drag everything out into the open. Ginny dragged her eyes away from the hypnotizing scenery as it passed by the train window. She glanced quickly at Alex on the other side of the car immersed in a game of chess with Edmund while Everett looked on.

Ginny had no need to worry that Alex would hear. The headmistress compartment had been charmed to be three train cars long on the inside and that much wide. The train car was decorated to suit Hermione's taste, with rows upon rows of books. It resembled a library but with comfortable sofas throughout the car. An unopened book lay on her lap. Ginny had tried to lose herself in the novel ,forget all that had occurred but found herself unable to do so.

"Nothing." Ginny lied. She didn't want to think of the dangerous glint in Draco Malfoy's eyes as he tore the clothes off her, leaving marks of lust on her tender flesh. Ginny unconsciously wrapped her arms protectively around herself. In that one moment Malfoy had taken her to a nightmare world filled with torture and death. Lucius had ripped off her robes and marked her with his teeth, the same glare in his eyes as in his son's.

"We've been friends for a long time Ginny. I may not know the details about what happened but I'm not blind nor deaf."

"Hermione, I'm fine." Ginny didn't understand herself. Why couldn't she just tell Hermione or better yet show her? Fresh bruises and bitemarks were hidden underneath magic. She hated him as he lay on top of her, touching, biting and kissing. And most of all, she hated herself for wanting to forgive him.

"I'm here if you want to talk." Hermione said soothingly placing her hand over Ginny's.

This pain was not what she wanted to share with Hermione. Not now. Not ever. The chamber had taught her many lessons. Hiding her feelings was what she had always been good at. It meant nothing. I'm fine. All lies, but the truth left her feeling vulnerable.

***

Ginny didn't know how long she had been napping in her old childhood bedroom. The train ride had been long and tiring and Ginny grabbed upon that as an excuse to retire to her room for a bit. No one had yet arrived, and her brothers and Harry were still enroute .But she felt guilty for wanting to stay hidden in her room away from Hermione's questions, her mother's concern and most of all, her son's looks of disappointment.

Ginny could hear shouts and laughter downstairs as another Weasley arrived for the Christmas festivities.

"Where's Ginny?" It was Ron's voice that caused her to groan, "She's all right isn't she?"

"We have 12 years of Christmases to make up for. I've already spiked the punch for this special occasion." Fred added.

"What?!" Ginny laughed hearing Angelinas's voice raise, "There are children here Fred! Edmund, Everett……….get away from that punchbowl!"

The decision as to whether to stay in her solitude for a few moments or rejoin the family was taken from Ginny. Without knocking Molly Weasley came into the darkened room chanting, "Lumos."

"I'm worried about you." Molly said as she took a seat on the bed next to her daughter. "Is something wrong?"

Ginny was almost tempted to tell her mother everything. Where to start? Her fear of not being the mother Alex wanted, Draco Malfoy, and the anger that rose within her evey day to know that precious years had been stolen from her everytime she looked at the face of the boy she was beginning to love, "A lot has been going on."

"I wasn't born yesterday Gin dear. Your son is down there looking as morose as can be, on Christmas eve no less. Now why is that?"

Ginny picked at a stray string on her coverlet, anything to keep her eyes away from her mother's all knowing ones. "I- I really don't know mum."

"Here's a bit of advice, if you don't mind me being so blunt. Virginia Weasley stop moping! Where is the girl I raised that thought of others before herself?"

"She died 12 years ago."

"Nonsense, Alex is proof that life goes on. I want him to have a Happy Christmas Ginny. I love you dear but I won't stand for you to ruin the holiday for him."

"What about me mum? How about my Happy Christmas? Twelve years of my Christmases were ruined. I was alone in my nightmares mum."

"You were never alone Ginny. Did you know that we spent every Christmas at St. Mungo's? While other little boys were opening presents in their homes, Alex would spend hours decorating your room and afterwards he would sing Christmas carols to you."

"He sang for me?" Ginny had dreams of a little child's voice that would lead her out of the dark. For a few moments she would drift into peacefulness pulled away from the men in black who were bent on destroying her. She would follow the voice to safety. Had that been Alex all along?

"Your father and I thought it was too much for him, bless his heart , but he insisted on staying. He's a good boy, a sweet boy. All you have to do is open your heart. Alex has been waiting for so long."

She was running again, this time away from the memories Draco Malfoy had forced upon her. Ginny pointed to her heart as the realization sunk in, "Mum he's always been here."

***

Everyone save for Uncles Ron and Harry were already on their way out the door trudging through the snow. Harry eyed his nephew with concern, "We're going to pick out the tree. Are you sure you don't want to come?"

"No thanks Uncle Harry. I'm going to help Grandma ice these cookies."

Of course Alex wanted to come. Every year the entire Weasley family would head to the nearby forest to pick the biggest, most fantastic tree there was. All the older Weasley men and their wives would take turns chanting chopping spells until the ancient tree gave way amidst the roar of applause. Alex's favorite part was the special Christmas edition of Weasley's Wildfire Whiz bangs. Uncles Fred and George would release the red and green colored fireworks into the sky. The muggles in Ottery St. Catchpole just thought they were regular fireworks but in fact they were charmed to say Happy Christmas and would morph into a winking Father Christmas being pulled by all his reindeer.

"Ok Alex, but you, me and a game of chess after we're done decorating the tree. Is that a deal?" Ron asked bringing a small smile to Alex's face.

Alex nodded, "It's a deal."

As soon as the door closed Alex's face fell. He wanted to be out there with his mum. Since that day at Hogsmeade she seemed to prefer being by herself. Alex wondered if anyone at all noticed and if everyone blamed him. It's all my fault. Reaching for the bowl of green colored icing that his grandmother had left, he drizzled it onto a tree shaped sugar cookie. I love you mum. Happy Christmas.

"Can I help?" Alex turned surprised to see his mum and Grandma standing behind him.

"If you want." Alex said hesitantly as he scooted over on the dining room bench to allow his mother room. His mum had been so upset with him in the broom shed and didn't attempt to talk once since they boarded the train. He continued working on his cookies, too afraid to speak lest he ruin everything again like he had at Hogsmeade.

Molly turned towards the kitchen, "I think I'll check on those other cookies. You two have fun and don't eat too much icing." She winked at Alex before leaving the two of them in silence.

Alex handed her a plate of cauldron shaped cookies, "Here mum, use the black icing for these." He took a bowl of crushed blood flavored lollipops centered on the table, "Sprinkle this on top. Professor Snape loves these Sprinkles."

Professor Snape? Ginny tried to catch her breath. "You know Professor Snape?"

Alex nodded while continuing the sprinkling "Every Christmas when we'd visit you, Uncle Harry and Ron would visit the Longbottom's and Professor Snape. Sometimes I would go with them and pass out cookies."

"That's thoughtful Alex."

"I didn't want them to be lonely and Professor Snape loves my cookies. He gives me 100 points every time he sees me."

Ginny bit back her laughter. No Weasley ever had points given to them by Professor Snape. If Snape only knew. Perhaps if she had made cookies back at Hogwarts when she took potions, her grades would have been much better.

"Can I come with you tomorrow to pass out cookies?" Ginny asked peeking at Alex from the corner of her eye while trying not to make such a mess out of the icing. Though her mother, and it seemed, her son were whizzes in the kitchen, Ginny was anything but adept at culinary skills.

"Will you be sad?" Alex asked seeming to concentrate intently on making the cookies perfect.

"Were you sad when you came to visit me?" Ginny put her arms around his shoulders at the first sight of a tiny teardrop making its way down his cheek. Ginny couldn't imagine spending every Christmas at St. Mungo's. Her thoughts immediately went to Neville Longbottom. How horrible must it have been for Neville, and how depressing it was for her son.

Alex's hand shook as he transferred a tray of phoenix shaped cookies to wax paper. With green icing he drizzled the words, "Happy Christmas Longbottoms,"

When Alex didn't answer, Ginny drew him closer, "You don't have to go anymore Alex. I'm here."

"But they are still alone. I didn't want you to be alone mum and I don't want them to be alone either."

Ginny's mum was right. He was a sweet boy. Far too sweet even by Weasley standards. I don't know the hows or whys regarding your birth and I don't care to ever know. But I do know one thing, I'm glad you're mine.

*~*~*

Christmas morning was a flurry of activity. Ginny sat with her brothers and their wives at the dining room table watching the numerous Weasley children making a ruckus around the tree. Screams of joy as a child received the toy they requested and a halfhearted thanks when another infamous Weasley jumper was presented.

Ginny lounged in her chair, the familiar scents of cinnamon and coffee comforting her. Alex sat in the corner quietly opening his presents, grinning more than one should when receiving his own Weasley jumper. Unlike the other children, he immediately took off his jumper to replace it with his new present, proudly displaying an A for Alex. Ginny couldn't help but notice how he stood out amongst the other Weasley children. Although Anjali had distinct Indian features and Edmund and Everett's Jamaican heritage via Angelina's parents were very apparent, their demeanor was every bit Weasley - loud, energetic and happy. It was not hard to visibly miss that although his mother was now here, her absence all those years had affected him.

"He's a very well-behaved boy Ginny." Padma said watching Alex put his pile of presents to the side, while trying to help his younger cousin open a package she was having difficulty with.

Ginny sipped her coffee, "I have my mother to thank for that." Her heart welled with pride watching Alex help Anjali. After much struggle Alex finally opened the gift box and handed it to his cousin. Ginny had to chuckle when he was rewarded with a kiss which Alex immediately wiped away.

"Ladies man Alex is. He won't be trying to avoid the women that much longer." Joked Fred.

Ginny rolled her eyes sharing a laugh with Hermione and Harry. "He's only eleven!" Surely little boy's didn't think such things! Then again she did have that crush on Harry Potter at his age. She was new at mothering. Now that she was becoming used to the idea, just the thought that soon she would have a hormonal teenager on her hands made her feel even less ready and unsure.

"His girlfriend is Wood and Cho's daughter." Ron said while buttering his toast and at the same time yelling at his daughter, "Anjali you are not to fly that broom inside!"

"Heard he threw a fit when he found out his little girl was our Alex's friend. Really Oliver Wood should be glad we Weasley's associate with such a slavedriver. I remember back in Hogwarts days……" George was given a harsh poke in the ribs by his wife Alicia. "Ow!!! What was that for?"

Ginny watched with suspicion as all eyes were averted away from hers. "Why would Oliver be upset?" questioned Ginny. "Why doesn't he want Casey to be friends with Alex?"

When no one answered she asked again, "Why doesn't Wood want Casey to be friends with my son?"

Molly floated a tray of pastries and mince pies, slamming them on the table in front of George, "It doesn't matter. It's Oliver Wood's loss."

Then it hit her. "It's because his father is a deatheater, isn't it?" Ginny said silently.

Ginny knew that Oliver Wood had been married previously to Katie Bell before the war. Katie had died in the same camp where Ginny herself had been held. After the war Wood was already a young widow with two children to raise on his own, until he married Cho Chang.

Even though another daughter had been born to him and Cho , the scars hadn't left him. Ginny should understand. She still felt pain both emotional and physical from the war. But she had been given a gift. Despite all the horrible things that had been done to her, she had been given another chance at life. Ginny had been given a son. It didn't matter who his father was. It shouldn't matter at all. Why should Alex have to repay a death that was not his fault?

Ginny felt a sick churning sensation. Alex would be faced with this prejudice his entire life, judged on the sins of his father. He would be lonely just as she had been that first disastrous year in the Chamber. But Ginny had willingly written in that diary, though a small part of her mind always told her something wasn't quite right. Always she had a choice. Alex had none.

"Heard the oldest Wood girl is a bit of a tease and the Wood boy is a few knuts short of a galleon. Who knows about how this Casey Wood will turn out. It's better Alex doesn't hang around with that sort! " Molly huffed heading back to the kitchen.

"It's not fair." Ginny muttered.stirring cream absentmindedly into her mug.

Everyone was in shock at Arthur Weasley's words. The man who usually had a kind word to say did not hold back. "Your right Gin dear, it's not and frankly Oliver Wood is an idiot……now pass me those danishes. I'm hungry."

*~*~*

Ginny with Alex in tow followed Ron, Harry and Hermione as they made their way down St. Mungo's corridor.

"Ginny, I have to warn you Professor Snape is no longer the same person he was at Hogwarts. " Harry said before opening the door that read Severus Snape.

Ron raised his eyebrows in question, "You sure mate? He might be nutters now but that doesn't stop him from taking points away from me every time I step foot in this room. Trust me somewhere in that mind of his, dear old Snape is alive and well."

"I need to pay my respects." If it weren't for him I wouldn't be standing here, Ginny thought to herself. A man she had once feared had saved her life. Ginny didn't know if she could ever begin to repay him.

Hermione put her arms around her friend, "Are you sure?"

Ginny managed a smile, "Alex and I have to pass out our cookies, Right Hon?"

Alex nodded enthusiastically. "He gets a bit grumpy if I don't give him his cookies on time."

Ron couldn't help adding his own experiences with the former Professor, "Your lucky Alex, he was nothing but one big grumpy git 24 hours a day, seven days a week…….."

Hermione crossed her arms, "Shush Ron, we're about to visit one of the great war heroes and you are still hung up on how he treated you. Maybe if you studied a bit more ………."

It was now Harry's turn to play peacemaker as he pushed open the door, letting Alex lead the way, "You two are giving me a headache! Can't believe you both are grown adults! Stop this nonsense. I believe we have a delivery of cookies to make."

Ginny shook her head in laughter. Some things never did change, especially when the first words out of Snape's mouth were, "Weasley that's 10 points from you. Now cut up Malfoy's roots!"

"Told you so." Ron whispered to Ginny, as he took a seat next to his old Professor.

Ginny moved quietly forward, peering at her professor of old who sat rocking wildly in his chair. It was Snape yet not. Professor Snape was more pale than he had ever been at Hogwarts, almost greyfaced. His long black hair was now tinged with white. Dark eyes darted back and forth watching and waiting for something only his mind knew.

"Leave me alone James." Snape said pointing his finger at Harry.

Harry tried to correct his old Professor, "It's me Harry, Harry Potter."

"And Hermione." Hermione added only to be met by Snape's disapproving glare.

"Miss know it all….yes, 20 points from you for not letting Longbottom finish his own work. What? That's not fair? 30 points then Miss Granger."

Harry was right. She wasn't ready to have seen her old Professor in such a condition. Professor Snape may not have been the best loved teacher at Hogwarts but he would give his life for his students. He had made the ultimate sacrifice so that one day the Wizarding World would be free of war and for that she was thankful.

"Thank you Professor." Ginny said, not knowing if he could understand or even comprehend what she was saying. There was so much she wanted to say. If it weren't for him she would have shared the same fate as her brothers. She was taken aback when he locked eyes with her.

"You are with child Miss Weasley." Ginny breathed deeply taken aback from his words. Had Snape known so long ago? In her memory the professor handed her a potion, "This will ease the nausea." Beyond the Professor stood another deatheater. If she looked a bit more closely she could see him and know who her son's father was. But Ginny could not. That part of her mind was locked. Only a former professor with wild eyes held the key.

"I brought Christmas cookies for you professor." Alex handed the cookies to Snape and his countenance changed almost immediately. It wasn't a smile but it was as close to one as Ginny had ever seen grace the professor's lips.

"The one with the blood flavored sprinkles?" Snape questioned the little boy, poking his finger in the basket filled with cookies.

Ginny laughed at the looks of utter revulsion that Ron, Harry and Hermione could not hide. "Truly disgusting." She heard Ron and Harry whisper at the same time .

"Yes Professor. I added extra sprinkles for you. Happy Christmas."

Snape snatched a cookie from the basket, munching away. "100 points for Malfoy."

Did she hear right? It seemed as if time froze. Snape had called her son Malfoy. His blond hair, the way he smiled………….no, smirked when he played chess. Draco Malfoy's interest in her son. No. No. No.

"Mum?" Alex backed away from his professor, looking up at his mother with a worried expression in his eyes.

Ginny shook her head trying to clear it. She grabbed Alex's arm and dragged him towards Professor Snape. "Mum, ow!" Ginny was too far in the depths of shock to realize she was inflicting pain on her son.

Ginny's voice wavered as she gripped Alex's arms tightly. "This is Alex. Alex Weasley Professor. This is my son."

"Weasley? Is blindness a family trait? That's ten points from you Virginia Weasley, for insulting my student. Am I not a master at my craft? I would know a polyjuice potion imposter if I saw one. It's plainly obvious that this is Draco Malfoy. "

She shoved Alex away harshly from her, his face the same as the one that had tormented her and those she cared for years before. Voices of her brother, Harry and Hermione seemed a million miles away. Feeling weak and unsteady, she fell onto the hard surface of the hospital floor. "Why didn't anyone tell me!" she screamed.

She pounded her fists into the floor until they became bruised, "Why!?"

Ron grabbed her before she could injure herself further. "We-We didn't know."

"Look at him!" she pointed to Alex who stood shaking silently in the corner of the room. "He looks like that bloody deatheater. Your grandfather killed my brothers. Did you know that Alex? Your grandfather was an evil man just like your father!"

"No he's not!" Alex cried as snot and tears ran down his face. "He's not!"

"How dare you defend him! Your father is a wicked man!" Ginny screamed. All this time Alex's deatheater father had been right under her nose. He was probably mocking her, laughing at how he was able to kiss the woman willingly he had once took without permission.

"Stop it." Hermione said kneeling next to Alex and gathering him in her arms. "You're scaring him."

Ginny wept aloud, Alex's cries joining hers from across the room as each rocked back and forth in anguish. Ginny was oblivious to the whisperings between her brother and Harry. Draco Malfoy wanted to humiliate her. She cried harder realizing upon glancing at Alex that he already had.

"We still have pull at the ministry." Harry whispered. "We'll have Malfoy brought in for questioning. Ron's already contacted the Aurors."

"I hate him! I hate him!" Ginny pushed Ron away tearing away at her blouse like a madwoman, leaving her in nothing but her brassiere. The marks she had hidden with a glamour spell were no longer invisible.

Harry drew in a harsh breath, "What the hell??"

Ginny tried catching her breath, "Malfoy attacked me. He ripped my clothes……."

Ron's face became red. "Did he rape you Ginny? If he did so help me, this time I won't fall for his bloody lies. He'll be sorry I let him get away for so long."

"Ron, now is not the time to go on a personal vendetta!" Hermione pleaded trying to reason with not only Ron and Ginny but with Harry as well.

Ginny shook her head, "No, he didn't rape me."

"He's still going to be brought to justice Ginny." Harry said offering Ginny his cloak. Ginny let Harry lead her to a chair ignoring Snape who was taking points at the yelling in his classroom. "Ron and I thought it was Lucius, Ginny."

Ron hugged his sister close, "When we finally broke into the prison and found Charlie and Percy dead I was so grateful to Malfoy that you were alive. I'm sorry Ginny. Please forgive me."

Ginny cried onto her brother's shoulder unable to speak. Brushing away her tears she looked up to find a room filled with Aurors and Snape still taking points away from each and every one.

It was difficult for Ginny, but more tears later she had told and retold the episode of what had occurred between her and Draco Malfoy. A female auror was brought in to go over every bruise and bitemark that blemished her skin. "Rest assured Miss Weasley, based on this evidence alone, he'll be in Azkaban tonight."

Hermione stood arguing with one of the Aurors, "You will not step foot into my school. I still have students residing there for the holidays. Let me talk to Professor Malfoy. I am sure he will come to the Ministry willingly for questioning."

"That's obstruction of justice Miss Potter." One of the younger Aurors added.

"Please Hermione, listen to the Auror." Harry suggested almost to the point of begging.

Hermione paced the room, "Fine, but I am coming to observe. I will not have my students and staff frightened by such an intrusion!"

Ginny clutched Harry's cloak tighter around her as a Ministry official approached, quill and parchment in hand. "We'll have to take your son Alex Weasley in when we bring in Draco Malfoy. The Ministy will need to run some tests on your son to prove Mr. Malfoy's paternity."

A pain squeezed her heart as she thought of Alex. "Yes, of course. Do what you have to." It would have been better had she and Alex never found out. It would hurt him to find out what his favorite professor had been capable of. For some reason it filled Ginny with a dull ache. Even after what he had done to her that night, Ginny could never shake the look of sadness and regret Draco had when he left her lying naked and vulnerable. If he had done such a thing before why had he stopped?

Ginny looked around for her son realizing that he was nowhere to be found. "Alex?" she asked hoping he would answer. She looked everywhere in the small room. A small blond haired boy was no longer present. Ginny's sense of loss was beyond tears. She hadn't meant to push him away. He didn't deserve her yelling or screaming. Had she not been doing the same thing Oliver Wood and others had done to her son? Punishing him for a parentage that was beyond his control, she had hurt him once again.

Hermione seeing her concern ran out into the hallway calling for Alex. Minutes later she returned without a little boy behind her. "The nurses and healers haven't seen him…."

Ginny watched in confusion as Hermione reached into her cloak pocket withdrawing her hand and staring at her empty palm.

"What is it Hermione? Ginny paused and continued in sinking tones, " Do you know where my son is?"

The room became hushed at Hermione's words. "He's taken my portkey to Hogwarts."

To be continued……….

Just want to thank my beta reader - Violet Jersey!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!