Unofficial Portkey Archive

Full Circle: A Second Turn by gti88
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Full Circle: A Second Turn

gti88

All right, the sequel is officially here…

Disclaimer: Characters are JK, plot is all me. Why do we have to write disclaimers?

Full Circle: A Second Turn

Chapter I: Life Goes On

A month had passed since Harry nearly killed himself again. He and Hermione had entered their interrupted relationship again, and currently, they could be found happily dating. Harry was still not entirely accustomed to living again. Periodically, he experienced the desire to see his parents again, and in such times Hermione would step in to reassure him that he had made the right choice in deciding to stay behind. With each passing day, Harry became more confident in his judgment, and life was slowly seeping back into him. He began to laugh more, and enjoy his time with his friends, the Weasley family, and especially Hermione.

That is why one warm summer evening, Harry and Hermione were sitting down at a table with Ron and Luna, and conversing lively about everything from the weather to Quidditch. Even Hermione pretended to be interested in the sport for a while. James and Madelyn were sitting in chairs of their own, following the interactions of the adults around the table with keen interest.

Inevitably, the conversation turned to Harry's post-mortem experience. He still felt slightly sensitive about the ordeal, but found himself capable of talking easily about it whenever it surfaced in conversation. That however, was largely when he spoke to Hermione. In company, he was still uneasy.

"So, Harry, what was it like, you know…being up there?" Ron asked hesitantly.

Harry looked sideways at Hermione. She gave him an encouraging smile, and he decided to tell Ron and Luna about his adventure in more detail.

"Were your parents nice?" Luna said vaguely.

"Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time with them," Harry said. "Seventeen years of catching up was interesting to say the least. I told them about everyone, especially you, Ron and Hermione. They seemed happy about it."

"What did they say about You-Know-Who?" Ron inquired further.

"They told me they were proud of me, and had watched over me every day of my life. The world is a better place without Voldemort, and they agreed," Harry answered, but his expression was distant as he relived the memories.

"Sirius Black was there too, I expect," Luna put in when Harry had finished talking. "He was a good man, and he was wrongly imprisoned."

"That we established, yes," Hermione said. "Too bad the stupid Ministry didn't recognize it," she added bitterly.

"Well, he was there too," Harry said. "I talked to him too, and he was happy to see me, as much as I was excited to see him. He's content that he's rejoined with my parents. They were good friends back when they were alive, and are, even now."

"And Dumbledore? What did he say?"

"He is as fascinating as ever. He knew I would succeed in the end, but how, he didn't tell me. I wish he did, it would make it much easier to understand him. But he's happy too. Said I carried out what he started brilliantly, despite that it cost me my life," Harry explained.

"Wow," Ron said. It was the only word he found himself capable of uttering.

"What did it feel like coming back?" Luna asked casually.

Harry hesitated. He had already explained it once, but again? Sighing, he decided to tell her.

"It was painful. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it. Literally, the feeling was as if you were being ripped out of your skin, forcibly. Then you fly down, agonizingly fast, and your insides churn. Just as quickly, it ended, and I was slammed against something. By the time I was able to take my bearings, I discovered I was in my coffin. My body was nothing but bone and slimy ligaments holding me together. But I immediately felt it start regenerating, and that was still very painful…" Harry visibly shuddered. "And now, here I am," he concluded.

A silence fell over the table, as Harry's story started to sink in, and realization set in about what had really cost him to arrive back in earth to be with the people who loved him, and whom he, hopefully, loved back.

Since his return, Hermione had benefited most. She had transformed from the gloomy person she was for the past two years, into the cheerful young woman she ought to be. Harry's cooperation and care for her only added to her contentment and desire to be with the man she so loved, and could never let go of, again.

"More salad, anyone?" came Ron's voice loudly, startling Hermione from her pleasant reverie.

"Oh…oh, yes, please," she said, blushing slightly, as she took the plate from Ron.

Small talk was exchanged as the evening wore on, and the atmosphere became more and more relaxed. There was the occasional exclamation of amazement, because of Harry's ordeal, but the reason may have been the fact that the wine bottle had started full, but was now severely depleted of its contents. Laughter and jokes continued for a while longer, until a small voice interrupted the proceedings.

"Mommy?" Madelyn said.

"Yes, dear?" Luna turned to her daughter, and bent her head towards her to be able to hear clearer.

"When will the stork bring a baby to Harry and Hermione?" she said in a small voice.

Awkward silence was what followed.

"Well…this one's yours, mate," Ron grinned, as he clapped Harry on the shoulder.

Our hero was at a loss for words. Beside him, Hermione was looking very flustered. Luna looked expectantly at them, and Ron was chortling quietly.

"Hmm, good question," Harry replied, "but…"

"We haven't really talked about it yet," Hermione said in a rush. "Maybe later on, maybe not, but we don't know you see, with everything going on, and Harry has just returned, and…" she rambled on, but caught herself, and blushed in embarrassment.

It's surprising how forward, honest and insightful a small child could be.

"That will be resolved later on," said Ron with a smile. "In the meanwhile, cheers!"

Four wine-filled glasses rang clearly as they collided with each other, and the night resumed in its easy-going manner of laughter, jokes, and the occasional toast.

-->