Unofficial Portkey Archive

Universes by ChocolateFrogsForBreakfast
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Universes

ChocolateFrogsForBreakfast

Universes

Rated R

Pairing: H/Hr

Length: 706 words

Summary: Rough times in the August after what should have been their seventh year at Hogwarts and how they handle them. Hermione's POV.

A smile briefly curves my lips as I wake in the semidarkness. I can feel him. The hard planes of his chest pressed against my back, his rhythmic breaths warming my neck, his knees tucked behind mine. And him. I feel his arm draped over my side, and I suddenly realize that the hand that was so sweetly hesitant in its explorations last night has now boldly taken possession of my breast. I cover his hand softly with mine. He stirs quietly in his sleep, and makes a noise of contentment that makes me smile again.

I try to keep as still as I can now. I don't want to wake him-God knows what fresh horror's in store for us today. Let's not face it 'til we have to. In fact, let's just stay here like this forever. Well…maybe not here.

My eyes dart around the room and find a grimy window. All I see are shapeless trees and I remember that I don't know where we are. Again. Haven't for days now. We've moved around so much, I'm not sure if we're even in Great Britain anymore.

Much has happened in the past few months, and little of it good. We've lost so many. Moody, Hagrid, Neville, George, Ginny. Ron…my parents... A sob hitches in my chest but I quickly quell it. The fresh grief still takes my breath away and I'm so tired of crying.

Harry's almost stopped talking to everyone. And really there's nothing more to say; it's all been said a hundred times before. Now, all that's left is to do what needs to be done. But the Order (what's left of it) wants for Harry to meet Voldemort on our terms, which means hiding him until all is ready.

I know Harry just wishes it could be over--even if it means his death. Just to have it finished. I see the awful weariness in his eyes and I can understand how he feels. But the thought of living my life without him convinces me that if he crosses the veil, I'll make sure I'm with him.

Yesterday seemed particularly hard for him-as though his soul sagged inside him with the heaviness of knowing his future. I could tell something was just a little different in the way he told me goodnight last night. I wasn't at all surprised later, when he appeared in my room, but when I noticed the look in his eyes… He didn't speak. Just slowly began walking toward me while his eyes burned into mine.

The first time was almost an animalistic experience-the pace furious and relentless. No time to even fully undress. Apparently pent up feelings finally bursting the crust in one huge, fiery deluge that buried us. The second time was intensely slow and fluid as we began to know each other in ways we hadn't before. Harry offered no words during all this. Not before, not after. We were just with each other. And then we collapsed in sleep together, the weight of what's to come thrown off for this small, beautiful space in time.

Now, as I lay in this unfamiliar bed, I can tell by the changing light that Tonks will be coming to wake me soon. There will probably be a small commotion when Remus finds Harry's bed empty. I know I should wake Harry and let him get back to his room before all this breaks loose. I know that even though a dingy sheet covers most of us, there will be no mistaking what we are to each other now. I think I used to care about propriety. I remember that when I was younger, I was so intent on making sure that Hermione Granger had everyone's respect. I'm not sure I know that girl anymore in the glare of this light.

But the one thing I'm sure of is that my universe is pressed up against me on this lumpy bed, and my eyes flutter quickly closed as I hear the bedroom door creak open.

-->